What was he thinking

Just Plain Ruff

Thoughtless! The Fire Fighter may have videotaped the incident for training purposes, or to show something of the Method Of Injury to the ER crew, but NEVER should have been shown to anyone else without written permission of the family of the deceased. That a video made it to the internet, and to the family of the deceased, is, indeed, a sad commentary of living today.

On a different commentary, I have known VFDs and VACs to "fire" personnel for acts that put the agency into a bad light. My own squad did so to a guy who didn't check that the ambulance fit under a marquee, and almost ripped the roof off the ambulance.

Edited for accidental triple posting.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Whats bad with this video as well is what was said on the video. I read an article on EMSworld that stated the vocals were more disturbing then the images. Apparently this is a crew of assholes, but just the video moron is suspended with pay.

http://www.emsworld.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Georgia-First-Responder-Suspended-for-Videotaping-Crash-Victims-Body/1$15076

I think phones should be banned from your person while on duty! If a loved one needs you in an emergency contact dispatch and patch it through or notify the crew and stop by a pay phone.

With all the recent developments of social networking blunders I bet you will see things change inside our profession as far as cell phones and such go.

As far as this fucking stupid moron goes... strip him of all his certifications, bar him nationally from ever getting them again, sue his ass off, once he pays up take him out back beat him sensless pull out the LP12 bring him back repeat. maybe around the 4th or 5th time he might get the message. Oh yea video tape it for his buddies to see :rolleyes:(last line was sarcasm folks)

According to the local news station in Atlanta the independent investigatin has recommended termination of the fire fighter and others involved that night.

Here is the story. http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/25531607/detail.html

What I read in the story that surprised me the most was this quote -

The report contains information, not just about the incident of July 17, but also about the culture and things in the fire department that may have created a situation where taking this video and releasing it seemed acceptable to the people involved,” said Martin.

The firefighters name who took the cell phone video is Terrence Reid.

Based on the quote above, it makes me wonder just how many other videos are out there from this group of firefighters? How many loved ones are forever immortalized on video when those taking the video shouldn't be?

Mr Reid if you are on this site, SHAME on YOU! You are exactly what the public dislikes about public safety personnel. You need to apologize to the family and then find a job at mcdonalds or hardees. EMS/fire service doesn't need you anymore. You are the weakest link - goodbye and good riddance

So how many people think the union will stick up for this guy and oppose his firing?

Ruff I dont think the union would or will. Its against every rule that their is about patient's rights and privacy. Plus just too much bad press about it. Now for the other asshats in the dept that were their that night? I think maybe the union will try with them. Basically use the excuse well they were just talking who doesnt do that.

If there is a culture inside this dept of this sort of thing then I think the state agencies should step in with oversight and see just who is responsible for whatever else there is an revamp this dept. Start at the top because aparently the officers aren't watching their subbordanits.

I think its todays YouBoob mentality.

"Oooo this will be an awsome video, let me upload this right now. Shit, my twit didnt update, my Assbook status changed though from head up to foot up."

Slightly off topic its just like hearing about all these suicides from cyber bullying. Folks are loosing all common decency because of how UNsocial networking is becoming. It takes nothing to post something and not care about who it may hurt because of the feeling of ananmity that one has through there keyboards.

So how many people think the union will stick up for this guy and oppose his firing?

In instances where the "alleged violator" simply messed up, without embarrassing the department or the union, most unions will stand with their guy. However, when doing so puts the department AND the union into a bad light, as in "actions bringing the reputation of the department (and the union) into disrepute," the unions, at least as I have witnessed, have stood back from the "alleged violator", to the point of sometimes pulling the union paid lawyers off the case.

I also must state that what I just said is not the situation in each case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.