Do You Have An Answer To "Privitization" ?

Not really looking for replies, but I am rather just putting out the warning. If you spend any time googling phrases like "privatize ems" or "county cuts EMS budget", you will see that this is the definite new trend (not really new, just resurfacing). Like it or not, private companies can provide EMS at a much lower cost than their government counterparts. There are even several Fire Departments who are under the threat of privitization. You need to make sure that your Chiefs can justify your budget, especially if you run a bloated department (double medic, too many chiefs, running expensive equipment that cost double what you could get it for if you had too, or if you are just a first-responder department that does not produce revenue).

• Like 1

No offense to the FF's on this board, but I'm glad Private EMS is around. Lets me do what I love to do without having to become a Firefighter, which is something I have exactly zero interest in doing.

• Like 1

It's just a cycle. One group gets in office claims its way to save money so they give it to privates. Another group gets in office and sees $x per call and thinks great way to make money but they ignore the warnings that nobody pays so they take it away from the privates. Just a cycle that never ends.

• Like 1

Not really looking for replies, but I am rather just putting out the warning.

<snip for redundancy >

Although I think I agree with most of this post on a conceptually basis, if one is pro privatization why would one send out a warning for government run entities ?

This generates some questions in my mind and knowing that private vs public delivery of any "Health Care System" this polerizes many ideologically from the get go. For example in Canada any hint of this immediately raises eyebrows although we have ALWAYS have had a blended system. This topic is dear to the hearts and minds and akin to the USA and the Right to Bear Arms, nuff said.

One has to ask should EMS be considered a business or an essential service ?

Does a country "privatize" their Armed Forces, Coast Guard or National Guard ?

IMHO believe that Pre Hospital Care should become more aligned with Health Care no matter how it is funded and away from Public Safety Services. Privatizing the Fire Department's could be a very cost effective concept, although it will be met with huge opposition by the organised crime er IAFF.

I have no reservations asking for comments or different perspectives.

• Like 1

Does a country "privatize" their Armed Forces, Coast Guard or National Guard ?

Yes, but maybe not on the grand scale you wished to imply but they do....a very large country called USA does this all the time, has done so for years. But in all fairness, it is only "privatized" when they have shit to hide or dastardly deeds they do not wish to be directly associated with the good ole US of A.

Yes, but maybe not on the grand scale you wished to imply but they do....a very large country called USA does this all the time, has done so for years. But in all fairness, it is only "privatized" when they have shit to hide or dastardly deeds they do not wish to be directly associated with the good ole US of A.

I think your taking that general question a bit to literally, following your post and AK logic should we then assume that "privatizing EMS" is hiding shit and dastardly deeds ? :devilish:

I can say without too much reservation that I presently prefer to work for private contractors than what we have in my hood right now, hey wait a second the vast majority of services here remain sub contracted but hidden under the smoke and mirrors of a provincial government and forced takeover of EMS, with a forced union of the governments choice a most very interesting situation, ain't it lots of eyebrows raised over that issue.

It is appearing (who really knows) that the my "state government" has perhaps not done their financial homework and far over budget go figure EH ? Although they have managed somehow to introduce yet of another layer of middle managers whose job is to eventually eliminate their very own positions over the long run, this under the auspice of a Health Care Centralization concept, once again most curious. I must ponder just how hard the white shirts are working on that then again perhaps this is a means to an end and eventually privatize the works like other provinces claiming its too expensive and should be farmed out ?

ps I am from the Government and I am here to help. :withstupid:

That said an election is looming im my hood, we just may see a very effective opposition and soon with very difficult questions to be answered in the hallowed halls of granite and concrete, I can only hope for democratic process.

EMS in my hood has always been the Bastard Son of Health Care and historically speaking the so called PRIVATES here have promoted advanced life support care and FAR FAR more than our present "self acclaimed global leaders". I sure wish they (the government) would fund that bunch instead of legislating me to pay to accomplish their agenda, it sure isn't mine.

cheers

The problem with private services is that for the most part pay horrible wages with horrible benefits. It's not all about the money--but we need to live comfortably and make a nice wage for the services we provide.

The FD here has single role medics working in the fire dept. I think this is the way to go. We get the benefit of the union without being forced to be FF's and pander to that BS.

Private and contract EMS here pays about 15$ an hour. Pretty hrd to raise a family on that. Single role medics on CFD get paid about 75K a year and get a pension.

We deserve the pay and bennies. This is a tough job and to make a barely livable wage doing it is a joke.

Can things be better with municipal EMS? Yes. Single role FD medics are the way to go imo.

I'm not experienced with private EMS outside this area. Do any of them pay good wages with good benefits? Let me know some places that do if you know any.

Thanks,

Edited by ambodriver

The problem with private services is that for the most part pay horrible wages with horrible benefits. It's not all about the money--but we need to live comfortably and make a nice wage for the services we provide.

The FD here has single role medics working in the fire dept. I think this is the way to go. We get the benefit of the union without being forced to be FF's and pander to that BS.

Private and contract EMS here pays about 15$ an hour. Pretty hrd to raise a family on that. Single role medics on CFD get paid about 75K a year and get a pension.

We deserve the pay and bennies. This is a tough job and to make a barely livable wage doing it is a joke.

Can things be better with municipal EMS? Yes. Single role FD medics are the way to go imo.

I'm not experienced with private EMS outside this area. Do any of them pay good wages with good benefits? Let me know some places that do if you know any.

Thanks,

Sorry, but single role in an FSR union is not true representation- especially since you are the minority. First and foremost, FIRE departments are out to protect FIREFIGHTERS. By and large, they promote and fight for things that primarily benefit FSR, while occasionally throwing a bone to EMS. Yes, they are forced to provide medical care, but if you were somehow able to wave a magic wand and eliminate the medical portion of their jobs again(like the good ole days), most would JUMP at the chance.

It all depends on what you want to do with your career. It can be frustrating to be underrepresented, but if all you are looking for is a paycheck, benefits, a stable job, and doing something you love, that's fine. I don't know how old you are, but over time, working in a high volume area will take an emotional and physical toll on you. Once you are able to retire, you still want to be able to have a good quality of life. Sometimes that means moving up to a position off the streets. That's why so many single role providers become cross trained-not necessarily because they love fighting fires, but for longevity's sake. Changing locations/employers is always an option, but not always practical or even feasible. So many factors to consider- cost of living, pay, benefits, housing costs, etc.

• Like 1

Sorry, but single role in an FSR union is not true representation- especially since you are the minority. First and foremost, FIRE departments are out to protect FIREFIGHTERS. By and large, they promote and fight for things that primarily benefit FSR, while occasionally throwing a bone to EMS. Yes, they are forced to provide medical care, but if you were somehow able to wave a magic wand and eliminate the medical portion of their jobs again(like the good ole days), most would JUMP at the chance.

It all depends on what you want to do with your career. It can be frustrating to be underrepresented, but if all you are looking for is a paycheck, benefits, a stable job, and doing something you love, that's fine. I don't know how old you are, but over time, working in a high volume area will take an emotional and physical toll on you. Once you are able to retire, you still want to be able to have a good quality of life. Sometimes that means moving up to a position off the streets. That's why so many single role providers become cross trained-not necessarily because they love fighting fires, but for longevity's sake. Changing locations/employers is always an option, but not always practical or even feasible. So many factors to consider- cost of living, pay, benefits, housing costs, etc.

We are well represented here. Yes it is true that high volume areas can be stressful. However, we work 24 on 72 off......those 3 days off are more then enough for me..to even work a 2nd job at a private company.

Yes, I am looking for a good pay, benefits and doing something I love. I believe I've found that balance. In time if I am toasty and bitter maybe it will be time to retire and enjoy an easy part time gig. Changing careers would be fucked up as I am already vested in my pension.

You are right though...so many different factors, and everyone is unique. Just thought I'd hrow my 2 cents out there.

Edited by ambodriver

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.