Deer on the Runway

OK after many years of pilot complaints and me screamming at the town Administrator one of the Planes hit a deer on take off. It was one of the commercial planes but it was a full plane and thank god no one was hurt. (we only have 4 medics in town). There was 200k damage to the plane and it needs a new engine.

So yesterday all you could hear are Heli's flying around and the Public Works Department driving around the place like idiots. The discription given to me was that it was like Vietnam. So that didn't work and they brought out the bear bangers yahooooo everyone thought that they were finnally shooting them. Nope cant do that say the conservation officer because they are in an inclosed area, funny thing is that it cant be to enclosed as they are in there in the first place right. Im at a point to go get a few first nation boys and say hey can't you go food hunting .........................

So my question is other than the obvious have the village idiots fix the fence and re-creat the moat around the end of the runnway and actually keep the maintinance up How do other places in the world deal with wild life vrs. runway issues?

Thanks

Now off the find out how to do some food gathering

This is not a problem singular to your area ... BCAS Flight Side had venison (pre-processed) on a landing a couple of years back northern BC somewhere ? I will look for the MOT incident report.

But you do have a serious problem with your C.O. what a fool to protect "bambi" over the lives of the 2 legged. So is he willing to put his tree hugging policy on paper ? Just the threat of this could leave his "dept" open to some rather stiff penalties / law suits if there is another incident/ fatalities/ injuries ... btw failure to perform.

Bear Bangers ... LMFAO your kidding PLEASE.

Speaking of "incidents" perhaps as a "learning opportunity" conduct an MCI because if this continues to be a concern one best have a action plan in place ... hey just due diligence $$$$$$$ isn't it ? ;)

Ok bullets and on MOT restricted sites (there are laws about this too) despite your unique problem solving idea it maybe not the best of ideas as it is kinda short lived, these 4 legged terrorists do breed like wabbits and are know to be wanderers besides being dumb as posts.

Yup a proper chain link fence around the perimeter is the answer in the vast majority of cases well other than a armed Air Traffic Controller with a .50 sniper rifle on the control tower ... but that could raise a few issues :o

Kennedy and LaGuardia Airports are in the confines of New York City, but if you recall, Captain Sullenberger gained all his fame outside the piloting industry, for his successful splashdown crash landing of his jet in the Hudson River, after hitting Canada Geese in mid-flight, killing his engines. There were injuries, but no human deaths.

Kennedy Airport is actually right next to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve section of Gateway National Recreation Area. How we have not had any bird strike plane downings is beyond me.

Ladies and Gentleman Welcome aboard Flight 101.

In the event of a "deer strike" please remain seated and calm, as the conservation officer has to do some first aid on bambi.

Ativan will be served upon request from the on board medics (if there is any remaining)

There are no "Head Facilities" on board but feel free to fill your boots.

We ask that you not to go into arrest while awaiting for the engine and prop to be changed out.

Thank You for flying Meat Airways Flight 101 Medivac to NO WHERE BC.

:blink:

Ladies and Gentleman Welcome aboard Flight 101.

In the event of a "deer strike" please remain seated and calm, as the conservation officer has to do some first aid on bambi.

Ativan will be served upon request from the on board medics (if there is any remaining)

There are no "Head Facilities" on board but feel free to fill your boots.

We ask that you not to go into arrest while awaiting for the engine and prop to be changed out.

Thank You for flying Meat Airways Flight 101 Medivac to NO WHERE BC.

:blink:

I think I peed my pants alittle :huh:

I'm sure planes that land here deal with deer, and everything else. There's no fence around the air field, and it's just that.. a field. It has a hangar, runway lights, and a wire rope to keep cars off. But it's a simple grass landing strip. Must be important, b/c it's on MS Flight Simulator. Had a few crashes there, but none involving wildlife, yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you. We have a deer decal on the side of our King Air 200. Scratch one deer. I wasn't on the flight but its a hazard for sure. All the airports i go into are fenced since the incident. We're not the only medivac plane that's hit one in AB. So our strip and one in the NE that are rural strips are fenced. As for the grass landing strips, doubt there's money for it there...

Just remember a new engine for a king air 200 is a million (CAN)... MEEP (so i've been told)

"Dispatch we have a problem.... bring a bbq! STAT! "

kilo mike, standard missed approach, we'll come back downwind for the GPS Alpha approach

Let's see,

Patient ... secured

Landing gear ... down, green

Minima ... set

Flaps ... *waves arms about

OK all set .... City traffic, Medivac descending :D

Edited by kiwimedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.