Deer on the Runway

I\m pretty sure the comedian Bill Engvall did a bit on this very topic. Something along the lines of his plane hitting a deer, him calling his wife and saying "honey, my plane hit a deer" and his wife responding, "Oh my God, were you in the air????"

Rudolph won't be pulling the sled this year, "here's your sign". At least that's how I would think Bill would answer.

One of the airports in my area had to install a deer proof fence because so many planes got damaged. But they still get deer on there as people don't always close the gates like they are supposed to. Then you get to see a bunch of people driving around trying to chase Bambi back out the gate. Never understood that. Why not just shoot it and feed the hungry people?

Edited by spenac

I spent six years in the Air Force working sheetmetal repair on planes. I have seen my fair share of bird strikes, rabbit strikes and a car strike but that was more like a crash. The military uses fences, horns, rock beds and falcons to keep birds and animals aways from runways and aircraft movement areas. Im assuming that your in a remote area with very little money to put up fences, fancy horns and rent falcons. Birds are normaly assosiated with air craft damage. Its very uncommon for deer and wild life to hit aircraft unless a place is infested with like say rabbits.

If I were you I would do this

-Make sure there is no large ammounts of garbage like dumpstars and dumping sites with in 500 feet of the runway,

-Also visualy check the runway from a tower or high point of the air port before a plane takes off.

-If possible fix the fence

-Leave the sent of humans in the effected areas animals dont like that.

Deer vs F-15 the plane hit it while landing

180px-Deer_bash.jpg

IAF_UH-60_after_birds_strike_outside.jpg

post-8540-065942100 1282320350_thumb.jpg

Those terrorists rats with wings are every where.

Most seriously, I would document the failure of proper safe guards by the village idiots helpers, so when there is burning wreckage on the runway and the airport shut down to medivac the injured out Happi can at least say she tried.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.