Spin off topic: What is right with America

Just Plain Ruff

Spin off topic from my "What's WRong with America" topic.

What is right about america? What are we doing right? We are bombarded on the news every single day about what is wrong with America.

What do you see is right with America?

As a Brit living over here, the US sense of patriotism is amazing (if occasionally somewhat overwhelming!). In the UK, it's madness; Patriotism is stamped out, in case we offend someone from another country living there.

Also, stores are open after 8pm, which I love!!

Also, stores are open after 8pm, which I love!!

Everything closes at sundown here, all year. So, if the sun goes down at 5pm, everything closes at 5pm. At 2am, only a gas station is open. The only one in 80 miles of highway.

What is right?

The fact that a near black man can become president.

The fact that the political party that I find most contrary to my opinions can be in power.

The fact that you can come here and say, "My country is damaged...can I be an American?" and hear the answer, "yes" as long as your heart is right.

My goal in life is to start a community of like minded individuals, to live together and thrive together. I have recently had a very close friend tell me, "come to the Phillipines! It's easy!" Though tempted....I'm an American. I will make my way, with my brothers and sisters, of whatever color here, or I will fail.

I've spent time in Afghanistan, thanks to my American friends, succeeded, failed, thrived and starved, all based on my basic ability to succeeed. That is the American way. God bless you all for allowing me the freedom to suceed, and more so, the freedom to fail. And if you've decided to be American, not African American, or Polish American, but JUST American, call me. You're welcome in my home any time.

Dwayne

Edited for typos. No contextual changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

What is right?

Well in my home town it is rude not to wave at people on the street.

Men still open the door for women.

People volunteer to help there community.

Food bank for the needy includes fresh venison.

A woman will get help changing her tire without fear.

The right to keep and bear arms.

The right to bitch about our leaders.

Public education.

The ability to go camping after a long week of work.

Our health care system.

Fishing for fun.

Hunting for fun.

Gardening for fun.

Walking to relax.

All bikini contests.

Any one who lives in the USA and does not realize just how blessed we are should really travel for awhile and get some perspective. Following that if you still don't get it. Leave

In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms.

The first is freedom of speech and expression--everywhere in the world.

The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way--everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want--which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants--everywhere in the world.

The fourth is freedom from fear--which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor--anywhere in the world. That is no vision of a distant millennium. It is a definite basis for a kind of world attainable in our own time and generation. That kind of world is the very antithesis of the so-called new order of tyranny which the dictators seek to create with the crash of a bomb.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, excerpted from the State of the Union Address to the Congress, January 6, 1941

We cherish these rights as Americans, and I hope the world can adopt them, each to their own country.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

What is amazing about those 4 things is this:

There are two very large well established groups that will never wish to see the day when those 4 things are obtained. These two groups exist because those 4 things exist. With those 4 things, they remain in control of the masses, further their own agendas and power and propel their leaders into more power, fame and wealth.

Those two groups are politicians and religion.

Where there is fear, want, lack of freedom of speech/expression these groups will thrive. Where there is no choice to believe as one wants or NOT believe, they thrive on that as well because it creates more controversy when those that truly want it try to implement it.

Now, which State and/or Commonwealth am I banned from again? I forget .....

The Bermuda Triangle, perhaps?

Atlantis (the island, not the Bahamas Resort)?

Shangri-La?

Middle Earth?

Hogwarts?

Fantasy Island?