Nursing school with no classroom attendance required?

Just Plain Ruff

Ok, while perusing these great forums of ours I came across the College Network advertisement.

It says "Paramedic to RN No classroom attendance required" or something lke that.

Just what kind of nurse can you be if you have no classroom time and a limited amount of clinical time?

Aren't these degree or non-degree programs just as bad as our Paramedic mills and 12 week medic classes?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruff after seeing this post I had to look it up. It appears that you take the classroom work online and apply it twords a degree. You still need to do whatever clinicals and or ride time that your state BoH requires. It just saves you the classroom time.

When I was becoming an EMT I looked at online courses due to my job schedule and all had roughly the same as this program you posted about. I could take the classroom over the computer then pass a test, once past, I would be enrolled in a hospital program for clinicals. Once that was done another test would be issued and if sucessfully completed I would be allowed to take the State's BoH test. I did NOT go this route however, my employer was understanding enough to work around the class schedule.

Not saying this is good or bad, I personally cant comment because I have no knowlege of it, it probably depends on the person. If your going to just take the course fluff the clinicals just to get the cert then its pointless. If your going to take it seriously then it might be a good idea for those folks with very busy schedules that can not or do not afford the luxury of taking the time off to go to a classroom.

Edited by UGLyEMT

These are usually courses that require you to have prerequisites to be eligible. You would need all your math, psych, English, sociology, A&P, etc classes. The core nursing classes are what you will be taking online. Most likely watching instructional videos and going through powerpoint presentation, this is how the course is taught.

You would still have to attend clinical.

Online education is the new fad. Many top notch universities are pushing towards this- they can charge the same tuition but do not incur the costs of a brick and mortar building for the classes. Saves them money, they do not need to stock texts in their bookstore, they need less staff/faculty, etc. Schools are trying to attract a world wide student body, and for someone who is willing to pay the tuition, but not move to a new country, it's perfect. They are also targeting military personnel, stationed overseas. Blended classes are also popular now- the majority of your lectures are online/chat based, but you meet once or twice a month for a face to face with an instructor.

The university I teach at is in the middle of a HUGE push for online classes right now.

Obviously, with a subject which requires hands on- as in a chemistry lab, anatomy, physics, clinical disciplines, etc, you will always need a traditional classroom setting, but for most classes, it's simply a lecture- especially with the general education requirements. Clearly this approach does not work for everyone- learning styles differ and some people do better in a traditional classroom setting and I think there will always be a demand for tradition lectures, but I think this is a good thing. With the fast paced life of many, sitting in front of a screen is easier and more practical for folks-especially those currently working full time, have families, and are not able to take time off for school.

I just looked up the group, and on their "About Us" page they say

(http://www.college-n...asp?faq=whatis)

What is The College Network?

Since 1992, The College Network, Inc. (TCN) has provided busy adults with educational solutions from leading universities for associate's degrees, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and professional certificates. Using a blended learning format that includes college equivalency testing plus online coursework through accredited university partners, learners complete their programs without attending any classes on campus.

The College Network is an independent educational services company and not a school. Its Comprehensive Learning Module program is designed to help learners prepare to earn college credit by passing end-of-course college equivalency exams.

I admit, up front, some confusion on this. It almost sounds like a "no previous experience needed" on line "Challenge Exam".

I just looked up the group, and on their "About Us" page they say

(http://www.college-n...asp?faq=whatis)

I admit, up front, some confusion on this. It almost sounds like a "no previous experience needed" on line "Challenge Exam".

Quite right, Richard.

There are 2 "Phases".

Phase 1-

You can test out of up to 82 hours of classes- gen ed and prerequisites.

Phase 2-

THEN you enroll enroll in a university to complete your degree.

http://www.college-net.com/works.asp

It seems legit for what it claims to do, but I would still be very leery of this.

If an online thing is interesting to someone, I would check out a reputable school and see what they offer.

An added thought-

This idea has been around for quite awhile. Years ago, my mom went back to school at a university which had a adult education program. They would give you course credit for life and work experience- especially if your job was in the field you were studying. I know there are limits, and I also think it's pretty arbitrary on how they made their decisions on how much "experience" they would accept. Just an FYI-

Edited by HERBIE1

My one concern about online classes is exam security. It's very hard to ensure that no one is cheating if they're on a computer miles away and without anyone watching. Outside of that, I don't see a problem with online lectures. In fact medical schools have been providing recordings of various forms (some just audio. My school, for example, uses a program that captures and synchs audio, video, and what is displayed on the podium computer) and I only know of a few schools who both require and enforce lecture attendance.

My one concern about online classes is exam security. It's very hard to ensure that no one is cheating if they're on a computer miles away and without anyone watching. Outside of that, I don't see a problem with online lectures. In fact medical schools have been providing recordings of various forms (some just audio. My school, for example, uses a program that captures and synchs audio, video, and what is displayed on the podium computer) and I only know of a few schools who both require and enforce lecture attendance.

Exams are usually required on campus or at a professional testing site to insure no cheating.

I think it depends on the type of class and the quality of material provided. I know that I absolutely LOVE online classes. It allows me to not lose points when I get sick over attendance (I HATE ATTENDANCE POLICIES)- I can be holed up in my bedroom and still working on class material in a productive fashion. I've actually been taking online-hybrids as I'm retaking prerequisites to re-program myself for nursing school, and I would say that is the best of both worlds. The material is the same, online practice quizzes allow you to really gauge how well you're learning the material, and labs and tests are done in the traditional "classroom" setting one time a week. Online discussion (like we have here) is an integral part of a lot of online and hybrid courses, and that's where you get the peer-learning interaction which also helps to cement the material.

I would not advocate taking say, A & P wholly online (period) or hybrid (much better choice) if it is your first exposure to the material. Something like human nutrition, basic math, English, or ethics makes a lot more sense to take online.

I'm hoping some of my nursing specific classes will be provided in an online or hybrid option; working night shift gives me ample opportunity to do homework, but it's easier to handle if I don't have to be awake in classes during the day.

Clinicals are integral, and must not be skimped on or cursory. As long as you prove knowledge of the material and are cleared for clinicals, I would see no problem with a program like this as long as it is accredited.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Is there any literature that compares paramedics who transition to RN via traditional routes versus online education? This discussion is one of pure anecdote until we have some sort of evidence. Clearly, as a graduate from a traditional programme, I come equipped with personal bias, but I would love to see the literature.

Take care,

chbare.