Nursing school with no classroom attendance required?

Just Plain Ruff

Is there any literature that compares paramedics who transition to RN via traditional routes versus online education? This discussion is one of pure anecdote until we have some sort of evidence. Clearly, as a graduate from a traditional programme, I come equipped with personal bias, but I would love to see the literature.

Take care,

chbare.

None to my knowledge and I don't think any will be out in a great hurry. Online learning is not for everybody, part of my Bachelors was online via WebCT/Moodle and I loved it but it is not for everyone.

Our National Diploma in Ambulance Practice is taught using a mix of online/book work, classroom and in the operational setting.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna be a doctor.. like a surgeon, general surgery. But I don't wanna go to medical school, at all, I wonder if they have an online school for that? Yanno, just watch videos of the people doing the hands on work.

Sarcasm. I'm really trying to cut back, but Sarcasm is my defense/survival mechanism. I'm also trying to cut back on cursing. Neither of which are healthy, to quit, I mean. I can feel my BP rise, everytime I hold back.

While not alot of stidies out there on the subject i was able to find one conducted for a college that offered both online and on-campus studies

My link

here is a study of on-line vs on-campus in the health care industry

My link

seems the few studies out there, there are more links (google on-line vs on-campus sucess rates), show that while its in its infancy on-line courses offer just as much as on-campus learning but reach a broader segment of the populus. Sucess is student based more then academic based (roughly the same either way). One stressor in the studies is while on-line offers more flexability it still needs to be used in conjunction with hands on experience. In the health care field it seems its even, the class room vs the chat room, with folks still needing clinical rotation time inorder to meet BoH regulations. The on-line style of education, as far as the book learning goes, seems to be just as fine, its about the individual be it online or on campus.

Edited by UGLyEMT

I wanna be a doctor.. like a surgeon, general surgery. But I don't wanna go to medical school, at all, I wonder if they have an online school for that?

Actually, I think they do!

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?guid=93C25062-6D40-1014-8BF0-9EFBF894F9D4&product_id=21204&src=endeca

I was hoping that someone had firsthand experience with this school

While I took 3/4 of my master's degree courses online and only a few in class I felt that online was a great way to learn but it just wasn't for me. Expediency and personal financial situations required me to take the online version of the school.

I think I grasped or gained about 50% of the knowledge that they were trying to give me via online courses. If I had more time on my hands and more time to devote to studying the course materials, I am sure that I would have learned a great deal more.

It all is based on how much you apply yourself. I applied myself to the learning but probably not as much as I should have.

IN the classroom courses, I felt that I learned so much more.

After 2 years of classes ONline and off line, 36000 in tuition and books, I have a masters degree in project management.

Could I have learned more, sure, but with my time constraints I did not.

before anyone gets all hot and bothered about the time constraints statement, these were 10 week courses (classroom or internet), I was working 70 hour weeks and the few spare hours a week I had with the family left me with a small amount of hours each week to devote to class. I did not take the courses from this college as a get the education quick scheme.

After the fiasco that was my Composition and Rhetoric class (online only), I think I'm cured of even considering an online course.

Composition and Rhetoric was my English credit that I needed for my degree. We were assigned to write an 'argumentative essay' and given a list of topics that we could NOT use. We could choose from a list of 'current event' topics or we could submit our own topic for approval.

We were given 4 days to research, write a rough draft (including an outline on the topic) as well as our final draft. Sure, it would have required more than minimal effort; but it was ample time to complete the task at hand. I submitted my topic for approval, and by the time I finally got it approved; I had less than 12 hours to do the assignment. Luckily, I had begun working on a different topic just so that I could turn something in on time.

A couple of weeks later, we had to expand that argumentative essay into a research paper (final term paper). Again, if we didn't like the original topic, we could submit an alternate topic to the instructor for approval. During this time, the instructor's mother passed away and no one was 'running the class'.

I finally ended up going to the Head of the English Department to file a complaint. By the time the whole fiasco had been resolved, I had less than 7 hours to complete the assignment. Fortunately, I had been working on the original argument in my 'spare time', just to see 'where it would go'. By doing this, I was able to polish up what I had already done, and turn it in. The point is, I had two assignments where the class had 96 hours avialable to work on each assignment (for a total of 192 hours), and I had less than 24 hours for both assignments. It wasn't fair, and I'm sure that my other classes suffered because of it.

There were a couple of other assignments that were less than 'satisfactory' due to the inability to ask questions and get a complete description of the instructions.

Had this been a regular 'brick and mortar class', I could have had instant approval and clarification before I ever left the classroom.

I realize that my experience probably isn't the 'norm', but it does highlight at least one important issue that could be inherent in any 'distance learning' environment. Because of this whole ordeal, I'm leery of even having a 'web enhanced' course. This was a 'mere English' credit course. I shudder to think if it were a more 'involved' course, like Anatomy and Physiology!

Lone, I don't believe your experience was an isolated incident in the realm of online courses.

The instructor has to be committed to online education. They do not have a pulpit or platform to deliver a personal lecture but they have to rely on the intricacies of online delivery.

Life events that can be addressed such as deaths and personal issues in person or in a classroom session often get extended in an online environment.

I had one course where the instructor just vanished for two weeks. By the time that she returned she was so far behind that the rest of the course was a hodge podge of minimalistic lessons. It was by far the worst class online or off line that I've ever had. The students gravitated away from the class and in the end, the class was counted but it was offered to the students at no charge a second time.

Unfortunately had the same experience in a in class course yet the instructor was able to appoint a substitute instructor. The class suffered for only two weeks and it was back to normal.

Edited by Ruffems

Lone, I don't believe your experience was an isolated incident in the realm of online courses.

The instructor has to be committed to online education. They do not have a pulpit or platform to deliver a personal lecture but they have to rely on the intricacies of online delivery.

Life events that can be addressed such as deaths and personal issues in person or in a classroom session often get extended in an online environment.

I had one course where the instructor just vanished for two weeks. By the time that she returned she was so far behind that the rest of the course was a hodge podge of minimalistic lessons. It was by far the worst class online or off line that I've ever had. The students gravitated away from the class and in the end, the class was counted but it was offered to the students at no charge a second time.

Unfortunately had the same experience in a in class course yet the instructor was able to appoint a substitute instructor. The class suffered for only two weeks and it was back to normal.

I can understand needing some time to get your head 'back in the game' after losing a family member. I'm not completely heartless. The thing is, the Department Head offered to cover the class while the instructor got it under control, but the offer was refused.

The instructor basically did NOTHING other than hand out assignments. The final exam was over material we never covered in 'class'. I'm glad that the class is over and I passed. I've got that credit out of the way, but I can't really say that I learned a damn thing. I actually feel cheated!

I'm in college to LEARN, not just 'get credit' for logging into a website 3 times a week!

Fortunately, the more 'important classes' (like A&P) will be taken in a real class room. I'm NOT going to take the easy way out, there's too much riding on it.

I've had some amazing instructors, and I've had some that make me wonder why they're even 'teaching' in the first place. If this is how the instructors are in the regular schools, then it's no wonder why these kids aren't learning anything!

Teaching online is not easy for an instructor. You need to learn the proper use of the online interface, you need to set up chat times for Q&A and discussion, have resource materials posted, links to places to find further info, and you also need to be available for a student to contact you via email. Many instructors give out their cell phone numbers in case someone needs a more personal touch- I do this, and it's come in handy. I've had a couple students who were lost- mostly due to a lack of effort, and I was able to get them on the right path.

It's also hard not seeing the faces of your students- you get feedback by their body language, their facial expressions, etc. If they aren't getting something, you can change gears and try a new tactic. Online classes do not allow that.

Again- people learn in different ways- some are visual learners, some are auditory, some learn better by wrote, and other need a combination of input in order to grasp the material. A good instructor- whether virtual or face to face- understands this.