Mosque at Ground Zero is a "Slap in the Face"

tniuqs

Guess I have a hard time drawing that parallel.

The Catholic church has a long history of protecting and hiding pedophile priests and action speaks more than words. The 1000 feet restriction is a common restriction for sex offenders.

*sits on the deck, looking out at the pool and sipping on a beer, looks to the sky and hears the northern hemisphere folks bickering and yelling*

Oh thank god/allah/mother earth/the aliens.... that I live in New Zealand, no issues here :)

Scotty

*sits down beside Scotty and opens his cooler of beer and snacks ....

Plenty of things in politics is motivated by one thing politics... and religion. 2 things... politics and religion.

/end channeling of Monty Python: Spanish Inquisition skit

It's one of those things that's implied with how it's written. If politics and religion is linked world wide, why specify "in the Muslim world?"

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the entire issue with the thread topic is people thinking that only Islam can be abused or manipulated.

Nobody thinks Islam is the only religion that can be abused. History has shown- and was pointed out here- that many religions have been perverted and used as "weapons" to justify extreme viewpoints. Problem is, Islam is the religion de jour now. Last time I checked, the folks causing mayhem throughout the world are MUSLIM extremists, not Baptists, Wicans, or Lutherans.

The problems with the Catholic church- pedophiles- is an issue that needs to be addressed by the Catholic church. Many folks are straying from that religion because of the way they have handled this issue. That is their problem, but nobody can say that any form of Catholicism justifies or explains this behavior. I have yet to see a priest cite a biblical passage that condones molesting children.

The radical Muslims use an aberrant form of Islam to justify their actions. Not even remotely the same thing.

• Like 2

You are talking about establishing a shrine, memorial, remembrance, etc in ANOTHER COUNTRY. Unless the host country also sees that as a pivotal point in their history, I don't see how they could be as willing or responsible for setting up such shrine for another country. With the WTC, this is OUR SOIL, and this location has a lot of meaning for US citizens.

I know i was a bit obscure, but i was talking more about peoples emotional reaction to what a community/culture believes is hallowed or sacred ground, while the circumstances are different the emotion is irrelevent in both cases. I don't think it ebing your soil is the issue, i think the emotion is the issue, and im sure you have US citizens who are muslim no?

The reason there is an issue with this is because of cras views stated by someone earlier "all terrorists are muslims"

Thats the problem, no mater whose soil your on.

*sits down beside Scotty and opens his cooler of beer and snacks ....

Typical kiwi's!

So, hows about them all whites :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please delineate what political reasons they had for attacking us.

Not arguing the point nor am I disagreeing withyou but I want to know what your evidence or rationale behind saying that this was political versus religious.

Sorry to be so late in posting been awhile since I came to this site.

A year after the 9/11 attacks Bin Laden released a video tape saying why he ordered the attacks. IT was all over the news stations etc. He said it was because of our support of Israel and unjust policies in the middle east. I don't even need to post a link to this as it is common knowledge. Do none of you remember that video? This wasn't someone attacking our "freedom" or our religion (muslims died in the 9/11 attacks in the towers), this was about the USA's political stance in Israel. I.E. supporting Israel's creation after WWII which led to the Palestinians being shipped out of the area and sent to live in refugee "concentration" camps in Syria and surrounding countries as Israeli's made their own homes and took over.

You don't see Al Qaadea targeting religious shrines, or all "free" countries...just those that support Israel.

I see a lot of people seemed to have taken offense to my post and continue spouting the BS of this being a religious attack. I also love how everyone turns into an expert on Islam out of the blue.

To the person who told me to read the Quran, thank you very much, I have read it mutiple times in it's true form, Arabic.

Anyways, I don't care if the build a mosque near the 9/11 site. But I would caution against it because people are gonna deface it as soon as its built. It's just not a smart idea with the anti-muslim backlash after 9/11.

:ball:

p.s. again I have to post this before someone calls me a terrorist: I do not condone the 9/11 attacks, I think the terrorist are slimey POS's that should be tortured and burned alive!

Edited by ambodriver

I know i was a bit obscure, but i was talking more about peoples emotional reaction to what a community/culture believes is hallowed or sacred ground, while the circumstances are different the emotion is irrelevent in both cases. I don't think it ebing your soil is the issue, i think the emotion is the issue, and im sure you have US citizens who are muslim no?

The reason there is an issue with this is because of cras views stated by someone earlier "all terrorists are muslims"

Thats the problem, no mater whose soil your on.

Well, the reaction to what happened on 9/11 transcended all nationalities, ethnic groups, and civilized human beings- not only here, but all over the planet. Emotion IS the issue. We are supposed to ignore what happened on that day in the name of being PC and "tolerant". We are supposed to ignore that fact that all of those terrorists on that day WERE Muslim. What they did was in the name of their "religion". No, not ALL Muslims are terrorists, but the vast majority of terrorist acts committed ARE by Muslims. Thus, for a Muslim group to suggest they erect this "shrine" at the WTC site- regardless of their claimed intent of unity(IMO the reason is pure BS, but I digress) is the height of absurdity. We're supposed to be tolerant of another group, yet they are not required to have that same tolerance? Come on.

Personally, I don't think that a Mosque should be allowed on the site. Not because of the religion of a terrorist, but because the site should house no church, mosque, synagogue or holy lemonade stand. People of all religions, races and beliefs were affected and I think that an "interfaith chapel" or something of that variety would be appropriate.

Understanding that the Mosque is supposed to further "unity" I understand, but really, how many people go into somebody else's house of worship to further unity? Catholics go to Catholic Churches, Lutherans to Lutheran Churches. I would have no problem with an "Islamic discovery center" or something small, aimed at education, but not a mosque proper. I have no problem with anybody's religion but I think if at all possible, keep the site as open to all religions as possible. Have an Islamic memorial, a Christian Memorial, a Jewish Memorial, heck, even let the Pastafarians put up their own memorial, but make it accessible and comfortable for everyone.

• 1 month later...

This just in - The New York Landmark Committee has given approval to the Mosque organizers to demolish the current building on the site. This is one of the last hurdles that this group needed to jump over in their quest to build a mosque on that site.

A WARNING FROM MUSLIM LEADERS

This morning a coalition of Muslim leaders warned the United States that if military action against Muslim countries continues, they intend to cut off America 's supply of 7-11 Managers and Motel 6 Managers. If this action does not yield sufficient results, cab drivers will be next, followed by DELL, AT&T and AOL customer service reps. Finally, if all else fails, they have threatened not to send us any more candidates for President either.

It's gonna get ugly, people.

This just in - The New York Landmark Committee has given approval to the Mosque organizers to demolish the current building on the site. This is one of the last hurdles that this group needed to jump over in their quest to build a mosque on that site.

Awesome. So in the interests of being PC, this will create a HUGE amount of trouble. If we're lucky, it will only be graffiti on the mosque walls, but any thinking being knows it will be much worse than that.

Congrats, all you liberal idiots.