TRAUMA - Episode 12, March 15

I'm only done watching half of it, and it fails.

An EMT-B diagnosing STEMI with a view of only one lead on the monitor, giving a triple dose of Nitro and the patient is in asystole within 3 seconds of receiving the killer dose. Didn't see him actually check the blood pressure either....

...or was the placement of the 12 lead, printout, interpretation, and vitals check all off camera :confused: :confused:

Edited by Suburban/Rural Medic

An EMT-B diagnosing STEMI with a view of only one lead on the monitor, giving a triple dose of Nitro and the patient is in asystole within 3 seconds of receiving the killer dose. Didn't see him actually check the blood pressure either....

...or was the placement of the 12 lead, printout, interpretation, and vitals check all off camera :confused: :confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that, shameful act of "heroism". I don't know what was worse, the poor history on the anaphylaxis which apparently needed the use of a BVM after the administration of epi? I guess she was in extremes, what ever I began getting turned off quickly at that point, then let's walk the cardiac patient out to the ambulance....did they not bring the cardiac monitor to the back for the "short of breatch" patient but the above quote put me over the edge too. I don't think this promotes the profession and actually does a lot to take away from a lot of time and effort many paramedics have put into becoming very highly trained.....perhaps this is an anamoly of all paramedics and only reflects San Fran's medics or at least how they wish to be portrayed. I will not watch this ever again....two thumbs down.

Jake

Let me tell you how much I was anticipating the return of "Trauma". I forgot it was on and am glad I missed it from your reports!

Let this show die in peace. Another save(d) isn't required, no ROSC.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, however it sounds like the usual bang up job of medical accuracy.... But you know something......IT IS A TV SHOW. I know it's been mentioned before, however people seem to still be hung up on how lousy this show is. IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, DON'T WATCH. It's really as simple as that. If the show is that bad, It'll be canceled, and we won't have to worry anymore now will we?? Trauma is NOT an accuate portrayal. We get it. Nor is it a recruiting video. The show is complete BS, yeah, but you know, I don't mind it. I laugh at the error's and ego's. and realise it is a TV SHOW. Just like HOUSE, Law&Order, etc. And I bet you guys watch those, errors and all. Relax. because really??? Is it worth stressing over??? Especially when it'll probably be gone by the end of the season?

• Like 2

So, um, how long would you like that scene to have taken? Sure, there's plenty to hate, but there comes a point where things just have to speed up or all you'll see is 2-3 calls. Heck, even Trauma: Life in the ER and Paramedics on TLC/Discovery Health edit parts out to speed things up.

You're the only one who seems to be stressing over it, Mr. All Caps.

I'm not stressing. Just frusterated/amazed at the amount of whining going on about the show. Like I said...we get it. It's BS. But it's been hounded to death already. All I'm saying is if it's that bad, don't watch it. Don't watch it, then come on here and bitch about how bad it is???? Just my two bits, dust.

• Like 1

I found it 'cheesy' in the beginning. It started while I was in school and I found myself watching it with my paramedic book in hand. (Visual...silly but true.) "Wait, is that the protocol? Would someone really do it that way? What WERE they thinking? How do I keep my makeup on and looking that good in the midst of a code?

Yeah...the show is still cheesy, but it's like watching bad scenarios and I mentally go over what I would do in that situation.

Example - at the begining when the deer hits the car...I believe the big burly guys who I trust have some smidge of CPR training would be pumping chesst and, I don't know, maybe breathing for the guy? :D

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I was still in recovery from the Noreaster that hit the NYC metropolitan area Saturday. We had a blackout. Lady J's house was blacked out for roughly 3 days, and there are areas still off the power grid within a few miles from me.

But I digress...

Episode 12:

1) Looks like Rabbit has moved in with Nancy

2) Nancy makes comment that Rabbit really should see the psychiatrist.

3) Marisa did CPR, and still lost the patient. Someone double check me, but is this the first time Marisa has actually done CPR on the show?

4) I posit the statement made in the show to be true, that "Live with crazy long enough, it becomes normal".

5) It figures that Tyler would want to switch partners with Marisa, for her new Paramedic partner. He's having lust at first sight.

6) I agree with the new flight medic, that if not affected by a death, something is wrong.

7) Thinking back, has Rabbit shown any signs of being affected by a death of a patient under his care? In the show, he has had a few deaths.

8) Good for Rabbit, he finally saw the psychiatrist.

9) I am known as a Star Trek fan, so did anyone else notice the psychiatrist was portrayed by the same actress who portrayed Keiko O'Brien on Star Trek:The Next Generation, and Star Trek: Deep Space 9? It is Rosalind Chao! Long time TV watchers might also remember her as Corporal Maxwell Klinger's Wife in the final season of M.A.S.H.

10) Doctor Dianne is leaving Emergency Medicine? She must like Greg, as she invited him to the party for the end of her ER rotation.

11) Bee sting patient faints after Epi injection? Can anyone enlighten this BLS provider if there could be an allergic reaction to Epi?

12) Did we ever establish why the bee sting patient's dad fainted?

13) OK, here we go with different local protocols. Does California, or the SFFD allow EMTs to administer Nitro, either pills, or as shown in the episode, by spray? Same for starting IVs, latrer in the show. New York State allows EMTs to ASSIST a patient in taking their own nitro pills, and EMTs are not allowed to even transport an active IV, so it has to be a saline lock instead.

14) Greg killed a patient by following the protocols. Unfortunately, he is still too new as an EMT. Also, even experienced Paramedics can miss nuances that would contraindicate what many here call "cookie-cutter" protocols.

15) Rabbit must be truly nuts. How could he be expecting to be allowed back to work after only one session with the shrink?

16) Did I miss something? Crazy as Tyler is, both he and Boone are experienced enough to secure the patient to the stretcher, yet they are so distracted with their argument on what to have for lunch, neither hears the seat belt being unlatched until the patient is already halfway out the doors of the moving ambulance?

17) NYC and SF share the problems of vehicles following ambulances in Emergency mode too closely, probably in other cities as well. If following distance had been followed by the taxi, the escaping patient might have survived with a possible bad "road rash". I yield it was probably a plot device.

18) Does anyone recall if Rabbit, in the time before his own helicopter crash, assisted anyone with a pre-flight check? Looks to be a good sign that the new flight medic does.

19) Is Tyler showing a defence mechanism to his own bad luck by calling Greg out on this "Probie Curse"? After 37 years in "da biz" I never reall hearing of such curse.

20) Student Doc Dianne gave Glen a much needed pep talk.

21) When Glen gets pushed aside by Tyler when hesitating on starting the IV, Tyler goes on to show that with friends like him, Glen doesn't need any enemies.

22) I think the Trauma Center will do well with Student Doc Dianne staying in the Trauma Service.

23) Has Rabbit started influencing Marisa with craziness? First, the EMT City hot button issue of HEMS for a CVA patient, and second, doing such with too low a fuel supply? Damn right, at least with the fuel level, that the new flight medic yells at her.

24) When Rabbit loses his cool attempting to fix the closet door, I think it has influenced him to return to seeing the shrink.

25) Glen gets a save, causing Tyler and Boone's bad luck streak to break? Refer to my item 19

26) When can we start calling Doc Dianne and Greg "an item"? Stay tuned...

27) While it is good that Rabbit has gone back to the psychiatrist, I think it is another plot device that he does so at her home, and, by her attire, way after office hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.