Is there such a thing as 'Ambulance Ass'

Lisa O

My def of amb ass is:

When your assigned to the worst car in the fleet with vinyl seats on a hot humid day hungover from the night before of cheap chili, wings and schaffer beer.

Its that sweaty feeling you get and wonder if that was a fart or did you just shart.

lolol

I guess there is NO hope at dignity at all working on an ambulance with someone ALL THE TIME huh. There will be farting... *sighconfused.gif lol

ewww but if u work out when waiting for your next call then u have to worry about being a sweaty mess and stinky before you pickup your next pt and u might not get a chance to shower

I guess there is NO hope at dignity at all working on an ambulance with someone ALL THE TIME huh. There will be farting... *sighconfused.gif lol

good thing ur not stuck with me then :|

ewww but if u work out when waiting for your next call then u have to worry about being a sweaty mess and stinky before you pickup your next pt and u might not get a chance to shower

good thing ur not stuck with me then :|

I change at work when I exercise. Takes about 15 seconds to toss back on your bdu's and uniform shirt. As for showering... I can shower fairly quick, but wouldn't get a shower if I was called out on a call. A quick spray of febreeze or something does the trick... but then again, I don't really sweat all that much unless I really push it, which I don't at work.

I don't think I've heard the phrase prior to this string.

Having said that, I can give you another cause of it: After finding out that getting hot food placed in front of you is the trigger for the dispatcher sending you a call, you learn to shovel food into your mouth ASAP in anticipation of the dispatcher giving you that next assignment. Numerous nutritionists will tell you that the body takes time to realize it's been fed, so you still feel hungry, and eat again.

I'll simply say, I am a victim of that.

Let's put it this way. Many times you will do things in front of your partner- make or female- you would never dream of doing at home.

LOL

It can definately happen IF you let it. Many places use system status, which places you in the truck all shift long often staged at convenience stores and fast food parking lots for the next call. I've had partners that do nothing but eat all shift long with a diet of primarily junk food.

Instead of falling into that trap, bring a lunch cooler with you and fill it with fruit, veges, yogurt and other healthy snacks.

When you do get a chance to sit down out of the truck for a meal make it something other than high fat & grease fast food.

People get fat by not burning off more calories than they consume.

Tied in with a job that can have periods of boredom it can help pack on the pounds

I don't think I've heard the phrase prior to this string.

Having said that, I can give you another cause of it: After finding out that getting hot food placed in front of you is the trigger for the dispatcher sending you a call, you learn to shovel food into your mouth ASAP in anticipation of the dispatcher giving you that next assignment. Numerous nutritionists will tell you that the body takes time to realize it's been fed, so you still feel hungry, and eat again.

I'll simply say, I am a victim of that.

Sadly, you are right about that Richard. Before I got into this business I was a cook, and believe it or not, that was a lousy eating schedule too. A bite here, a bite there when you get a chance. Now in EMS, along with that food trigger, there's also a secret switch that generates a call every time you hit the bathroom or lay your head down to sleep.

After 25 years, I'm still looking for those damn switches...

It's a horrible way to eat, but my eating habits are so programmed that I am always the first one done eating at home or in a restaurant.

It can definately happen IF you let it. Many places use system status, which places you in the truck all shift long often staged at convenience stores and fast food parking lots for the next call. I've had partners that do nothing but eat all shift long with a diet of primarily junk food.

Instead of falling into that trap, bring a lunch cooler with you and fill it with fruit, veges, yogurt and other healthy snacks.

When you do get a chance to sit down out of the truck for a meal make it something other than high fat & grease fast food.

People get fat by not burning off more calories than they consume.

Tied in with a job that can have periods of boredom it can help pack on the pounds

Good to know that you can infact bring a lunch bag or small cooler with you. I do not know why I just assumed there was no room for anything like that.

I'll actually mention my biggest fear / concern.. (OMG this is way too much TMI) I had gallbladder surgery about 5 years ago. Since then, my stomach has been a mess. If I eat on an empty stomach = straight to the bathroom. If I eat anything greasy = straight to the bathroom. Fruit = ya guessed it! Almost anything now goes straight through me. You think I would be stick thin, but, nooooooo..lol

So, I know I can NOT eat fast food out, I usually only eat it at home. So, I am already freaking on what to eat, how, how much, when, where, all around a schedule I can not controll or predict. Now I know that when I am out for a while, I wait to eat right before I go home, or at home. In the morning, I can slam a handful of Cheerios to kinda ease my stomach into the day.. So, I am learning some things, but, man, I need to do something before I start working..

Good to know that you can infact bring a lunch bag or small cooler with you. I do not know why I just assumed there was no room for anything like that.

I'll actually mention my biggest fear / concern.. (OMG this is way too much TMI) I had gallbladder surgery about 5 years ago. Since then, my stomach has been a mess. If I eat on an empty stomach = straight to the bathroom. If I eat anything greasy = straight to the bathroom. Fruit = ya guessed it! Almost anything now goes straight through me. You think I would be stick thin, but, nooooooo..lol

So, I know I can NOT eat fast food out, I usually only eat it at home. So, I am already freaking on what to eat, how, how much, when, where, all around a schedule I can not controll or predict. Now I know that when I am out for a while, I wait to eat right before I go home, or at home. In the morning, I can slam a handful of Cheerios to kinda ease my stomach into the day.. So, I am learning some things, but, man, I need to do something before I start working..

If food affects you that much then maybe ems is not for you. Nothing worse on a call than when you have to take a dumpage and there is no place to go do it at. If the food goes right through you and you need to be able to find a bathroom at a moments notice EMS should not be for you.

9.9999/10 you will need to go #2 and you will be either stuck running a long distance transfer or doing a fire stand by out in rural minnesota with nothing but wide open fields in front of you and 50 news cameras and cell phone cameras there and you don't want to get caught with your pants down right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.