Sworn officers versus civilain TEMS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our TEMS Medics are not armed,nor do they have powers of arrest,they must meet the same physical standard and physical testing as the tactical police and are involved in training with the tactical cops. We have 2 TEMS medics per shift on call and they keep there tactical gear on there truck locked up and ready to deploy if called upon.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been an Ontario PCP for 10 years and Police officer for 8ish....I am it for TEMS right now on our team....

If I could have my way I would develop a mixed TEMS team...half dedicated Police officers (paramedic certs) and half civilian Paramedic (tactically trained)...

The police officer has active working knowlegde of the law, police resourses and policy...the TEMS police officer is able to act as a security element (armed) and clear Tactical members back to the mission...

Having local tactically trained medics is a must as they have working knowledge of the local EMS system...their advanced skills are honed on a regular basis on the road and can increase the level of TEMS care AVL on scene....

One of the stumbling blocks that I have seen 1st hand is the $$$$.....the EMS provider saying...." we are here to support the police" therefore...police pay for everything (overtime equipment training)....while Police say...."EMS you by creating a TEMS team are fullfiling your obligation to the community by extending your ability to provide Tx"

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.