Sworn officers versus civilain TEMS

Just curious to know how many of you SWAT/Tactical/Special Ops/ERT (etc) medics are sworn police officers versus civilians providing Tactical Emergency Medical Support?

Our unit is civilian and doing regular calls until our police tactical unit is called in. We are notified and then pulled off regular calls to "join up" with the guys on scene. We train with the guys as much as possible and are involved four-times a year for big practice scenarios.

Took a while to gain the trust of the police guys but now they like having us around. For the record -- and let the arguements begin -- we (the medics) are unarmed.

Unlike the guys Stateside we have only really been involved with TEMS for a couple of years. I'm only aware of four teams in Ontario (Toronto, Ottawa, Halton, Thunder Bay) and I think outside of that there's Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver(?). I also believe that OPP and RCMP (Ontario Provincial Police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police) have operators who are trained as medics.

Now that I've read this I guess I'm looking for general info about other teams out there and specifically Canadian TEMS.

Skuter

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back, NYPD got NYS DoH approval for training some Officers to Paramedic level, but only to stabilize patients, both LEOs and "Perps". They weren't supposed to transport.

Until such time as they complete the first program, an FDNY EMS BLS ambulance, with an EMS Lieutenant, will accompany PD, to a point about a block from the scene of a "Warrant Service," where they remain until either needed (haven't had one yet) or released (so far a good track record by me).

• 2 weeks later...

Our situation is kinda nuts b/c we're "Tactical support medics" and therefore not armed, but we're within ten feet of the team at all times, no matter where they go....

So they make an entry, I am within ten feet of the door at all times. I ought to be armed, don't ya think?

Maybe I can stab a perp with an 18 gauge?

So they make an entry, I am within ten feet of the door at all times. I ought to be armed, don't ya think?

Especially if you are dressed the same as the team. :?

• 1 month later...

the locals here want a medic for there team as well but they do not want us armed. we tell them everytime they call, we'll just wait a safe distance away until it is safe for us to enter.

Always remember a dead medic is a useless medic, to everyone.

I think I've already made my feelings pretty clear on this. I believe anyone who is an armed, tactical medic should be a sworn police officer first and foremost, until EMS brings its standards of hiring up to other agencies.

I think I've already made my feelings pretty clear on this. I believe anyone who is an armed, tactical medic should be a sworn police officer first and foremost, until EMS brings its standards of hiring up to other agencies.

That's pretty well a standard anyhow, Asys. I don't have any knowledge of armed medics on any tac team who aren't sworn officers, even if only reserve officers. And reserve officers "hiring" standards do not significantly differ from those of regular officers. I don't think your concern is even an issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.