Alberta Bill 60

xlq771

I'll admit to not going to the last AGM, but in reality I had just graduated and had no business voting on resolutions which affect an industry I had yet to work it. That being said that last election for members at large and council members I took the time to mail in votes because I knew the people running. I think we are in good hands for atleast the near future. Although i hate my registration fees I understand the purpose behind the huge increase, transparency has so far been pretty good. What the future holds, well I dunno.

Maybe with all the complaining in Alberta, the membership will rise up and vote next year.

And remember we dont want to support BCAS, just the people working for them

I'd be willing to bet next year's wages that at least 80% of the public has no idea what the difference between a paramedic and EMT is. They all still call us 'ambulance drivers' but they sure do like the morphine a truck driver can give them, don't they??

I don't know if it's possible for every person out there to understand everything we can do. There is a lot really, and most people don't care much unless they actually need us for something. And I don't mean the B.S. of late like "I've got a sore throat so I'm gonna call 911". Bite me.

As an example, the Vital Heart program. After a STEMI is diagnosed and the 12/15 lead sent to the VHR doc's Palm from our LP, he can tell us to administer lytics right on car then zip off to one of 2 cath labs for some sweet sweet angio. There have been news spots on this program, however it seems that the public quickly forgets about things like this. They forget that is, until they are a participant.

So who knows, should we be giving the public a little more credit? Probably not :withstupid:

• Like 2

I'd be willing to bet next year's wages that at least 80% of the public has no idea what the difference between a paramedic and EMT is. They all still call us 'ambulance drivers' but they sure do like the morphine a truck driver can give them, don't they??

I could do a poll if you would like :thumbsdown: Too bad they cancelled "Trauma" that would have done a lot for the profession but I cannot disagree, but more like 70% I would hope if I was a betting man er sheep er Pirate :shiftyninja:

I don't know if it's possible for every person out there to understand everything we can do. There is a lot really, and most people don't care much unless they actually need us for something. And I don't mean the B.S. of late like "I've got a sore throat so I'm gonna call 911". Bite me.

Just look to the ER the 24 hour 7/11 ... of medicine now why because there are so few Family Practice Mds anymore ..Question who is responsible for that ? hmmm 3 guesses first 2 don't count.

As an example, the Vital Heart program. After a STEMI is diagnosed and the 12/15 lead sent to the VHR doc's Palm from our LP, he can tell us to administer lytics right on car then zip off to one of 2 cath labs for some sweet sweet angio. There have been news spots on this program, however it seems that the public quickly forgets about things like this. They forget that is, until they are a participant.

Where in Rimbey ? :shiftyninja:

Perhaps we should point the finger where it truly belongs, over 10 years ago I was present an AGM, a position "paid" in Public Relations Position was soundly defeated, it would have raised or dues.

For the record I walked up to the Podium and simply handed over 20 bucks, YES I DID and said nothing (atypical behavior)as I believe that actions speak louder than words and make a point as strongly as I could ..our fees at that time were an outrageous $128.00 a year.

cheers

only 13.5 hours till ACoP phone rings about Bill 60 and HPA !

I could do a poll if you would like :thumbsdown: Too bad they cancelled "Trauma" that would have done a lot for the profession but I cannot disagree, but more like 70% I would hope if I was a betting man er sheep er Pirate :shiftyninja:

You say 70%? That is hopeful :)

• Like 2

You would trust a sheep loving drunken Pirate to make an estimate ... hey lets get rick mercer report do a poll?

THEN the truth would come out :pc:

Edit

EMT/PCP save lives.

EMT-P/Paramedics/ACP/CCP prolong death ?

Edited by tniuqs

You would trust a sheep loving drunken Pirate to make an estimate ... hey lets get rick mercer report do a poll?

THEN the truth would come out :pc:

Edit

EMT/PCP save lives.

EMT-P/Paramedics/ACP/CCP prolong death ?

Heh ... who said anything about trust?

• Like 2

Heh ... who said anything about trust?

WOW not trusting Rick Mercer them's fighting words, I voted for him too. :devilish:

As promised my Homework, I contacted ACoP and was treated very politely by a contact to the best of that individuals knowledge provided this insight:

HPA

College of Paramedics is on "the list" for HPA but not yet received official status, but continue to be involved with the process.

Bill 60

The individual from ACoP I spoke with was unaware of this bill 60.

Mr. Quest is an MLA (conservative) in Sherwood Park and Introducing this Bill 60 I provide for you his biography from a pubic access Alberta website. I have left a query as to what stakeholders have been contacted concerning input and when this bill (an amendment to HPA) was when was this bill tabled in the Legislature.

Mr. Quest was elected to his first term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for Strathcona on March 3, 2008. In addition to his regular duties as an MLA Mr. Quest serves as deputy chair of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts and as a member of the Private Bills Committee and the Standing Committee on Health. Prior to serving as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, Mr. Quest was the general sales manager and shareholder of Petersen Pontiac and Beaverhill GMC dealerships.An experienced businessman, Mr. Quest obtained a business diploma from NAIT in 1985 and served with the Better Business Bureau of Northern Alberta for 10 years, fulfilling various roles including director, chair and director of the Canadian council. As well, in 1997 he won a General Motors Dealer Award of Excellence.

Mr. Quest has been an active member of his community for nearly 30 years. During this time he fulfilled a variety of roles, including: Regional director of the Elk Island provincial executive since 1998 Involvement with Friends of the Games Fundraising Committee for the 2007 Western Canada Summer Games Coaching a Sherwood Park minor soccer team from 2002 to 2006.

So Mr Quest from information provided is a Car Salesman and a soccer Dad and a new pilot.

Constituency Office

#168, 2301 Premier Way

Sherwood Park, AB

Canada T8H 2K8

Phone: (780) 416-2492

Fax: (780) 416-7093

strathcona@assembly.ab.ca

His office staff were most pleased to suggest that anyone wishing to contact were more than welcome.

He has also introduced a Bill 46 (mandatory reporting for Gunshot and Stab Injuries for EMT/P)

For a list of his involvement in Gov link provised) Quite interesting.

http://alberta.ca/home/googlesearch/searchpage.aspx?access=p&entqr=0&entsp=0&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date:D:L:d1&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Search&client=pub_goa&q=Mr+Quest&ud=1&site=pub_goa&oe=UTF-8&p

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/soundoff/archive/2009/10/24/394593.aspx

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/11/05/edmonton-charter-flights-alberta-government.html

This last link on the government waste and flying out of the soon to be closed Edmonton Municiple Airport (maybe STARS will provide Helicopter trips for MLA's to the International Airport) :clown:

Patiently awaiting a reply.

cheers

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/11/05/edmonton-charter-flights-alberta-government.html

This last link on the government waste and flying out of the soon to be closed Edmonton Municiple Airport (maybe STARS will provide Helicopter trips for MLA's to the International Airport) :clown:

Our government wasting money? Noooooooooooooo

You think we paid the tab for that one? Uh huh. As for closing the Muni, all I can say is that's just plain STUPID. The increase in flight time for some of these short haul trips required within or near city limits will in many cases, likely negate the benefits of using STARS. Heck, there's probably a special little helipad at the International they'll want to close too! But Stelmach won't care, neither will Mandel ... until it's a member of their family who dies as a result of delayed treatment. Wait and see, wait and see ...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.