Alberta Bill 60

xlq771

That would be the definition according to the University of Saskatchewan, not exactly the whole province. I was using Primary Care as referred to "Primary Care Paramedic". But lets move to the Primary Health Care idea. Is it not part of our job to educate the public when possible? And are we not moving towards being able to handle more and more homecare type issues such as replacing and maintainence of catheters instead of taking these people into the ER? So while the U of S shows Primary Health Care as shifting the responsibility onto the public, its most definitely being shifted onto our shoulders as well

That would be the definition according to the University of Saskatchewan, not exactly the whole province. I was using Primary Care as referred to "Primary Care Paramedic". But lets move to the Primary Health Care idea. Is it not part of our job to educate the public when possible? And are we not moving towards being able to handle more and more homecare type issues such as replacing and maintainence of catheters instead of taking these people into the ER? So while the U of S shows Primary Health Care as shifting the responsibility onto the public, its most definitely being shifted onto our shoulders as well

Ahem best look again:

Primary Health Care as defined by the World Health Organization in 1978 is:

education for the identification and prevention/control of prevailing health challenges

proper food supplies and nutrition; adequate supply of safe water and basic sanitation

maternal and child care, including family planning

immunization against the major infectious diseases

prevention and control of locally endemic diseases

appropriate treatment of common diseases using appropriate technology

promotion of mental, emotional and spiritual health

provision of essential drugs (WHO & Unicef, 1978).

So with a one year program this is what you believe is even possible with the Primitive Care Paramedic should be capable of providing, can you today go into the community and even vaccinate, I am observing the get a new toy or get an new drug in other threads you have presented, do you wish the wrath of dust to come down on the stepping stone method, I will say a prayer for you ... :devilish:

Canada and only parts of it actually are the titles even considered, with past involvement in requiting "medics" beyond the borders of this Kanukistan, just try to explain to an offshore oil platform operator or a rather austere setting like where SA_Medic works and your PCP will hit G files stat, EMT and PARAMEDIC are globally accepted standards.

I believe following the terms that Basic Care Paramedic as is Advanced Care Paramedic that would make more sense to me, you know like BLS and/or ALS works in the rest of the world.

If you wish to go that route, let me know in advance because I am going to make a killing in the EMS Patch business.

On to kevkie: Just dropped by 2 AHS stations on my way back from Red Deer looking for an open vaccination clinic (yes a sidebar, none open) but I asked over 20 registered members and apparently they have not received Official notice of acceptance under HPA I believe the link provided is a draught :thumbsup:

mobey best check your PMs.

I think I have had this debate with you in the past as well Mobey, and I have to side with tniugs on this one. The change of title in this province is a bad idea. Its not a problem from my perspective, I could give a flying funk if we are called ACP or just good old paramedic.

The thing that worries me, and worries me a lot is the reason behind the title change. I beleive that the public does know the difference between EMT and Paramedic, and that is an important distinction, because although he doesn't know exactly what the difference is he is aware that a paramedic can provide a higher level of care. So, when his loved ones are sick John Q Public feels secure knowing a Paramedic is in his community and will respond to his home when needed. Now, it is unlikely that he will pay enough attention to the certification of EMS to learn the distinction between Primary care and Advanced care paramedic. The magic in the title "paramedic" alone will soothe him and bask him in the light of its warm glow. He may even think Primary care Paramedic? What a great idea, the patient is their "primary care," in other words, the paramedic's "number one concern."

Now, imagine a government run health service, taxed with the burden of finding creative ways to cut funding. They have promised not to degrade the level of service in EMS and maintain Paramedics throughout the province. How can they cut costs, but maintain paramedics? Simple, with a quick title change, they can hire more PCP's, pay them less, and guess what? Overnight, every single EMS attendent in Alberta is a paramedic! What a great and benevolent leader AHS will be.

Of course there will be some bleating from the unions about the scam the govnt is playing on the people, warnings that people will die, facts and fiqures that show the difference between the two levels. AHS will respond by acusing the unions of greed and hypocracy, paint them as villians angling for a raise in a recessian. Some people may listen, but eventually the fighting will die down and the new titles will remain.

Here is a good example of the publics perception of EMS in B.C. I was having dinner at the home of a colleauge who is a registered Alberta Paramedic (ACP). His father in law was visiting from B.C. and asked why we had such a backward EMS system where only some personell are paramedics and the rest are EMTS, because in B.C. everyone is a paramedic. My partner did his best to explain the difference between the PCP/ACP for about ten minutes, was met with a blank stare and the statement, "OK, but I think care is better in B.C. because we only have paramedics."

• Like 1

'HellsBells'.

Here is a good example of the publics perception of EMS in B.C. I was having dinner at the home of a colleauge who is a registered Alberta Paramedic (ACP). His father in law was visiting from B.C. and asked why we had such a backward EMS system where only some personell are paramedics and the rest are EMTS, because in B.C. everyone is a paramedic. My partner did his best to explain the difference between the PCP/ACP for about ten minutes, was met with a blank stare and the statement, "OK, but I think care is better in B.C. because we only have paramedics."

I guess the FATHER hasn't been in the back of any truck? so try Revelstoke or Golden or Whistler the site of the Olympics and follow the news in BC Paramedics legislated back to work, when they were not actively ON STRIKE :withstupid:

Zactly :thumbsup:

Correction: It says BC EMERGENCY PARAMEDIC on the Generic BOX.

Now, imagine a government run health service, taxed with the burden of finding creative ways to cut funding. They have promised not to degrade the level of service in EMS and maintain Paramedics throughout the province. How can they cut costs, but maintain paramedics? Simple, with a quick title change, they can hire more PCP's, pay them less, and guess what? Overnight, every single EMS attendent in Alberta is a paramedic! What a great and benevolent leader AHS will be.

Well I am jumping out of my skin, + 10 on the old dustdevil scale at least I am getting through to one Registered Member, Oh and am gleefully awaiting to call ACoP in the first minute of office hours on monday to ask why this Bill 60 has not been diligently reported to the membership :phone: hello can I talk to R. L. please ...

But HellsBells don't rain on my new Patch Business :dribble:

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Here is a good example of the publics perception of EMS in B.C. I was having dinner at the home of a colleauge who is a registered Alberta Paramedic (ACP). His father in law was visiting from B.C. and asked why we had such a backward EMS system where only some personnel are paramedics and the rest are EMTS, because in B.C. everyone is a paramedic. My partner did his best to explain the difference between the PCP/ACP for about ten minutes, was met with a blank stare and the statement, "OK, but I think care is better in B.C. because we only have paramedics."

So following along with this, when I show up at his door with my partner, and both of our epaulets say EMT. Now is he going to believe in us enough to let us treat him, when really he called to get a paramedic at the door? What about when I work with a paramedic, will a patient let me attend to them or should the demand the paramedic regardless of the severity of their illness or injury? I understand the worry with ACoP and AHS finding ways to cut ACP's out of the picture as a cost saving measure all the while having a lower level of car slipped in under their nose, but there is also the perception of the public on the industry as a whole. Unless they are a paramedic, they are not capable of caring for me or my family.

Should we go back to the days of paramedics and Ambulance Drivers? It seems when I work with a paramedic I get called that a lot more

Correction: It says BC EMERGENCY PARAMEDIC on the Generic BOX.

True that is exactly how our generic duty cars are marked. ALS and critical care units however, are also clearly marked as such. It's really a matter of semantics. The use of the term paramedic is understood to be a generic term for EMS staff in BC. People understand that there are different levels of paramedic care but the extent of that understanding is limited. Personally I preferred the old titles in BC as it was very clear and simple to understand. EMA I (EMR), EMA II (PCP/EMT-A), EMA III (ACP/EMT-P). People didn't have any difficulty understanding that an EMA III was a higher level provider than an EMA II.

So following along with this, when I show up at his door with my partner, and both of our epaulets say EMT. Now is he going to believe in us enough to let us treat him, when really he called to get a paramedic at the door? What about when I work with a paramedic, will a patient let me attend to them or should the demand the paramedic regardless of the severity of their illness or injury? I understand the worry with ACoP and AHS finding ways to cut ACP's out of the picture as a cost saving measure all the while having a lower level of car slipped in under their nose, but there is also the perception of the public on the industry as a whole. Unless they are a paramedic, they are not capable of caring for me or my family.

Should we go back to the days of paramedics and Ambulance Drivers? It seems when I work with a paramedic I get called that a lot more

While I agree we should all eventually move to use the same set of titles nationally, I'm going to have to side with Squint in saying that it's a bad idea to do it in Alberta right now. Due to the way EMS has developed in Alberta residents of said province have grown to understand that a "Paramedic" is an ALS provider. With the current AHS transition I expect that this move to transition titles is motivated by a desire to staff ambulances with lower level providers while still calling them "Paramedic" units. Because of the Alberta public's perception of what the word "Paramedic" means, this is a clear attempt to downgrade ambulances without public outcry.

Ed

• Like 1

Interesting twist ... mind if play ?

'Quakefire'

Firstly that's misrepresentation one must introduce them self,identify the level of care, then ask for consent and why in fact we "Title Protected" in the first place in AB, btw does it say REGISTERED EMT on your patch ... hey my business could really take off here, that jokingly stated. Doest the "patient" actually have a choice in the first place to demand this or that because the fact of the matter is if they did demand Advanced Care Paramedics like say on "Trauma" then we open the door wide to the introduction of Private Ambulance Services, you are still living in Saskatchewan and the name Tommy Douglas just may ring a bell.

Is that not under the patients rights ... well here in AB have a choice to a second opinion with care under an MD, should it be the crew to decide and then based on what criteria ? Your heading down the Human Rights path here and if you don't know the end of that very bumpy gravel road ... have you been to court yet ?

Ahem dont you mean they have slipped under our noses the AHS also is trying to dictate what union those "paramedics" are to be represented by, CUPE in Calgary is still in the courts over that little "item"

With Proper Public Relations information you can bet your stubble jumping butt that you would be in school and funded by Government coin that is exactly how it occurred in NAIT and SAIT then ACoP approved all the other for profit programs, and the cost skyrocketed(to meet the demand was the rationale)

So query back have you ever observed a CMA approved Private for Profit institute for MD, RN, RT, RRT, lab, DI +++++++.

As a Paramedic thats what we do we drive ambulances ... think thats going away EVER .... LMFAO.

Funny me too, #$%@! jerk, G@$*&^> asshole, and my favorite Ditch Doctor by the bucket fairies. :clown: Seriously that is just ego talking, but hey with my new found business, I will also exploit / capitalize on that marketing aspect, so THANKS for that.

Thinking Bars on Epaulettes too now, I saw some in GP that had 5 and 6 (very atypical)that by a member of the "transition" White Shirt Clan today. In the military, 4 designates a Captain, but hey in EMS we could put 12 on each side ?

Oddly enough last 2 Halls I dropped in on, when the question was asked: Who's a Paramedic here fingers pointed in every direction (btw 4 out 8 were ACP)

cheers

Hellsbells got any capital to invest ? one can pick up a machine computer assisted design CAD for about (so your investment would be about 20 G cash send it to my PM account via internet banking)

Tniuqs of course you can play

No where on my person does it say registered or licensed, but we do still use the old terms due to the fact that Paramedic is protected by law to belong only to an EMT-P. Our Operations Manager, who came from Edmonton to our little private service did propose the use of bars instead of titles on our shoulders but would having 3 or 4 bars (supervisor) really solve the arguing over titles?

Of course the patient has the right to choose as long as their conscious and A/O, they can be PRS'd by their choice, and if the people started to demand it, i'm sure most private ambulance companies (like much of Saskatchewan is) would work that into their contracts with the health regions. More money for them.

Ahem dont you mean they have slipped under our noses the AHS also is trying to dictate what union those "paramedics" are to be represented by, CUPE in Calgary is still in the courts over that little "item"

Regardless of Alberta or BC lots of EMS workers are being bent over the cot to be shown whos boss

Maybe we should move away from having a 'Paramedic' decal on the side of our units, maybe its time we moved to neon signs, so that when an ALS crew hops aboard they can flip a switch to inform the public

Maybe we should be looking at a National Solidarity perspective, instead of a getting screwed over by ACoP or AHS one? Get us all along the lines of the Nurses and Fire Fighters, instead of fighting our little battles alone, we can fight as Canadian Paramedics, not Alberta, or Saskatchewan or BC medics

Tniuqs of course you can play

Gosh Thanks:

Point being title protection under legislation, all the RN's I have worked with, identify themselves as RN, talk about solidarity ...

Profit margin oh yea all Sask Ambulance services make huge profits LOL.

Although many of your services are run by Private operators ... look to where the funding comes from and my point is there is nowhere that you can call EMS sevice A over EMS service B. Since the take over here a system that worked well it has gone sideways with more White Shirts involved ... cant you see with all the information that EMS is being herded like sheep.

Funny thing about that, there is a few "bosses" getting walking papers and the may we do that is by lobbing Government of perhaps VOTING ?

We have enough lights on the Truck, heres a good start (have you seen how EMS got screwed over in BC) we should support our brothers and sisters and put a big SIGN ON IT LIKE WE

SUPPORT BCAS.

ZACTLY .

Some tried but the huge majority in this conservative government screwed us over but thats why I post to you guys in the Flat lands start by running your own association ... just look to what once was OUR Association called AAPA ... now its a COP only!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.