Gimme the flu vaccine, or I won't play EMT!

Flasurfbum

Refusing calls is never a good idea.

First line of defense is the usual Blood Borne Pathogen protection of masks, gloves, gowns if viewed as necessary, and a reasonable distance as can be maintained in the ambulance. The Flu and the H1N1 shots are just another level of protection.

A Majority of my calls are now flu related in ur an ems, and the area hospitals are over run. Maybe if people would pay attention to the news and not call 911 or go to the ed for the flu this wouldnt be an issue.

Well being rather ill today, I have to agree to a point until your too sick. I now believe the pig is out of the barn and we are just trying to do damage control ... just think a 1/3 of the population off work for a minimum a week in a time of recession (thats just the economic perspective) this the negative hype over taking a vaccine ... and I thought we were modern educated society.

Refusing calls is never a good idea.

First line of defense is the usual Blood Borne Pathogen protection of masks, gloves, gowns if viewed as necessary, and a reasonable distance as can be maintained in the ambulance. The Flu and the H1N1 shots are just another level of protection.

First off just sitting and talking with a patient is one thing .....

This EMT is just making a point has she actually refused a call PROVEN ? SHE is wanting EMS to be first on the list thats the issue you clowns ... I hope the Toronto guys had their shots before responding to the 13 year old arrest, cause theres no risk there, like intubating, starting a line, cause no one gets blood or fluid doing any of those procedures the demographic group mortality morbidity is the big query right now.

Ok so for debate, no HCW has develop Hep C, MRSA, VRE or SARS using masks gloves and masks ... ok sure right then, no surgeon or dentist has developed HIV AIDS either <insert sarcasm> The vaccine is the only realistic protection ... It wasn't available here last week .... OMG now I sure as hell wish I had it now.

Its really hard being sick and cough so bad you puke and then have to clean the vomit yourself.

Hey EMT Martin great point, so do you clean that stethoscope every time you use it ? Or do you put it in your pocket, BDU or do you hang it around your neck to be cool ? Just saying tell me you have every case or I don't want you to touch my kids ... get it ?

Heres another controversy ...using anti bacteral ETOH hand cleaner ... this breaks the cell wall of the bacteria, SO guys I query you this what is inside that cell, could it be RNA or DNA ... and where do virus's attach too again ....?

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-alerte/h1n1/faq_rg_h1n1-eng.php

cheers well I must be feeling better cause I'm feeling more :angry:

Regards to the stethoscope... I used to clean mine after every interaction with a patient. Something I picked up on during my ICU rotation. Before AND after each patient contact I would wash my hands with the alcohol foam in front of the patient (because when I am the patient, I appreciate seeing the provider cleaning their hands) and I would wipe down my stethoscope...the whole thing not just the diaphragm.

Regards to the stethoscope... I used to clean mine after every interaction with a patient. Something I picked up on during my ICU rotation. Before AND after each patient contact I would wash my hands with the alcohol foam in front of the patient (because when I am the patient, I appreciate seeing the provider cleaning their hands) and I would wipe down my stethoscope...the whole thing not just the diaphragm.

Awesome scooby ... how many other HCW do that you think are that diligent or even educated enough, is that covered in EMT-B 101 ?

What do you wash it with ETOH foam?

Do you remove the ring on the diaphragm ?

Where do you store it on the outside of your gown?

What type of thermometers are you using disposable ?... As that was found to be the focus/ fomite / vector in an ICU when we had a huge break out of MRSA in ICU, non disposable btw ... the ones found on the wall blue cover for rectal, red for oral ... was the entire attached wire and device that was swabbed to find the cleaning staff were told not to wash them.

WE found the worst perpetrators for lack of isolation were the attending MDS .

cheers

Awesome scooby ... how many other HCW do that you think are that diligent or even educated enough, is that covered in EMT-B 101 ?

What do you wash it with ETOH foam?

Do you remove the ring on the diaphragm ?

Where do you store it on the outside of your gown?

I was told to clean it every shift in EMT-B, wasn't until EMT-I clinical rotations in a hospital I learned that I should really be cleaning it between every contact.

I use an alcohol swab usually or those wipes to wipe down the outside, I do remove the ring on the diaphragm and clean under the diaphragm but only after contact with an infectious patient... too much mess to do between every single patient unless there is a good reason to.

I have seen people use those stethoscope condoms but seeing as I'm really allergic to Latex that isn't an option for me :D

• Like 1

You know what's really funny? She'd probably take a flu like symptoms call immediately after getting the shot even though she's no more immune right after the shot than she was before the shot. It takes about a week for your body to become immune, so 2 days isn't that big of a deal.

You know what's really funny? She'd probably take a flu like symptoms call immediately after getting the shot even though she's no more immune right after the shot than she was before the shot. It takes about a week for your body to become immune, so 2 days isn't that big of a deal.

And your source of information would be ????

Not being a smart ass, lets talk evidence based medicine too many myths not enough tangible information ....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.