Gimme the flu vaccine, or I won't play EMT!

Flasurfbum

Ok you say 1% are hospitalized, is that an estimation, no offence but following that how many die ?

Best advice would be go to an allergist, and be evaluated ... a child in Canada would NOT be allowed to attend public school

If you did produce a daughter (I don't know family history for cervical cancer and genital warts)

this is actually a very mild response they hospitalized you for this sound like your first statement ... if your that sensitive to pain, maybe think about making a child ... just saying.

The 1% is an estimation. There is actually a way to get into school here in the US without being vaccinated. It's a pain in the neck to do so but can be done. Being that I'm 3rd generation allergic to it at what point to I knowingly comment child abuse? The males don't have much genatic imput in this family tree so if I have a daughter the chances of her taking after Dmitri in any way is slim to none. Heck as it is I have pictures that I don't know if the female in the picture is me, mom, grandmother, or an aunt.

The reaction I have now is mild. It toned down after I was about 14 years old found that out when I had to have all my shots for high school. ( My mom didn't take me to get some vaccines until it was forced on us.) When I got the TB test the frustration was in that the area swelled up and I was having a hard time bending my arm for alittle while. Ever tried to ride a bike with your arm hyperextended? It's not easy. That was about 13 months ago for my EMT class and APPLE accredditation at work. if($("bnrTop")){var adTarget;adTarget = topBnr ;document.writeln('');}admeld_publisher = 34;admeld_site = 'dictionary';admeld_size = '728x90';admeld_placement = 'above-fold';

This is a comment that ranks up there with explosives having been use to bring down the world trade centres on 9/11.

Ahem cough, I see that you say 9/11, but was not the first attack on the Trade Center explosives they caught those bastards. :thumbsup:

If one thinks about it this could be a wake up call, with H1N1 and it may become a possible and far more virulent airborne hemorrhagic pathogen in nature as in a Ebola.

Nah but that will never happen thats just a conspiracy theory anyway. :devilish:

cheers

When I was at Katerina there was plastic tab locked meds with auto injectors for the use of in Biological attack ... just saying are we really prepared ?

Edited by tniuqs

Siffalass you chose to be vaccinated, just saying you state that:

You appear to be contradicting yourself with words verses actions or am I missing something here and don't get all pissed at me, I am just pointing out what you stated.

I never said the flu vaccine was the best way to prevent the flu (or other things for that matter). There are other simple things such as handwashing etc that can certainly help, that people seem to be overlooking.

Not to nit-pick, but I would strongly recommend donning mask, gown, and eye protection before getting close enough to a flu patient to put a mask on them.

Really? Well thanks a million for that recommendation, because I never would have thought of that! I guess the dispatch information you receive is 100% correct AND complete all the time.

As an example ...

Last night we went for a 43 year old complaining of chest pain, no mention of any flu like symptoms at all. He's lying down, appeared to be resting. Soooo we go up to him and start talking etc etc, he starts productively coughing, telling us about his body aches and other flu like symptoms and ohhh now there's SOB involved. Then we get to hospital and get this guy registered only to find out at the hospital that he's MRSA+. So it must be better over there in BC because here we don't always get all the information one would need to make a call of whether or not to gown and mask, along with the usual order of gloves and eyewear.

I guess we should start going into every single call on every single shift with every single piece of BSI imaginable, because here we can't always trust the dispatch information. (For you dispatchers out there, yes I know about the cards you have to use so no it's your fault). Tell me rock, are you putting on EVERYTHING before each call you go into?

So when presented with something like that, say if there was only one mask on hand with the rest being elsewhere, I would cover the source first.

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 2

MRSA+.

Honestly, so fucking what? I'm sure we have all been exposed to MRSA+ patients and even known it. It would be interesting to do swabs on all persons who have been in health care for 5+ years and see just how many are MRSA+

Really? Well thanks a million for that recommendation, because I never would have thought of that! I guess the dispatch information you receive is 100% correct AND complete all the time.

As an example ...

Last night we went for a 43 year old complaining of chest pain, no mention of any flu like symptoms at all. He's lying down, appeared to be resting. Soooo we go up to him and start talking etc etc, he starts productively coughing, telling us about his body aches and other flu like symptoms and ohhh now there's SOB involved. Then we get to hospital and get this guy registered only to find out at the hospital that he's MRSA+. So it must be better over there in BC because here we don't always get all the information one would need to make a call of whether or not to gown and mask, along with the usual order of gloves and eyewear.

I guess we should start going into every single call on every single shift with every single piece of BSI imaginable, because here we can't always trust the dispatch information. (For you dispatchers out there, yes I know about the cards you have to use so no it's your fault). Tell me rock, are you putting on EVERYTHING before each call you go into?

So when presented with something like that, say if there was only one mask on hand with the rest being elsewhere, I would cover the source first.

IT WAS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK! I'm no different than anyone else in having received poor dispatch information at times. Hell I've ended up on a scene post assault where the perpetrator was still armed with a knife. Dispatch said it was safe to enter. My point was that dealing with H1N1 has changed the approach taken with respect to calls. I begin interviewing patients before getting within 3 meters of them. If the patient is positive in presenting with flu symptoms PPE is donned before getting any closer to the patient than 2 meters. If a call is dispatched as a code 9 (infectious patient) PPE goes on before even entering the scene. I keep an N95 (fold flat type) and eye protection on my person at all times when I'm at work.

Edited by rock_shoes

Honestly, so fucking what? I'm sure we have all been exposed to MRSA+ patients and even known it. It would be interesting to do swabs on all persons who have been in health care for 5+ years and see just how many are MRSA+

Five years? I would have said anyone who's been in a nursing home or homeless shelter once or twice ...

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.