What happens between calls

danderson900

WOW....

No spank??

Lone star, are you starting to come around?

The only reason I didn't go for the corporal punishment is knowing MY luck, they'd enjoy it and it wouldn't correct the abherent behavior....roflmao

I'm a total newbie here. Thinking about becoming an EMT. Was wondering- what do you normally do between calls, back at your base of operations?

Normally it depends. If another rig has gone on a call and an area of the city is open, we will drive to that area and just wait in the ambulance. If we are near one of the stations we just relax watch some t.v, eat etc. some days you will get just one call in a 12 hour shift while on others you will get slammed with one call after another, its very unpredictable

At our service we have a flexible station based deployment. That means that as stations get busy outlying bases are moved in to stage from these bases to provide balanced coverage. This can be a bit of a pain as it means your neighbouring base's 3am call, is also your 3am standby call-out. When our number of available trucks starts to drop below a minimum coverage threshold we start staging at major intersections, any non-emergency transfers are canceled (not that we do very many) and non-emergency calls are delayed.

Aside from this between calls we return to a base (hopefully our own) and hang-out in the crew room. There isn't a lot of base duties to perform; just basic cleaning of the base and the truck. If we need to restock equipment we swing by one of the Pyxis equipped bases.

Day shifts = reading, studying, hitting the forum or watching TV

Night shift = sleep as much as possible

Lone Star, thank you for coming to my defense.

kevbutnobacon, I ran the calls. No time to set up the VCR, no TiVO available, I was needed, and I responded.

Never accuse me, or anyone, of shirking their duty, unless you have documentation proving otherwise.

Also, make sure you never do it on the EMT City. I may have only met one other member of the City in person (and he was assigned my partner for a while at FDNY EMS Station 47), but through my words, I have a bunch of friends here, and I am their friend too.

The only time I hang my head in shame, is when I get judged by those who don't have a clue as to what I do, who judge me for the actions of someone who DID screw the pup in mine or another's department, or by association of that EMT patch I wear on my uniform's right shoulder.

I won't state I never made a mistake. I have, and been reprimanded, or retrained as was needed, for the transgression, over the years from when I started in any EMS capacity in 1973, at age 19.

kevbutnobacon, how many years have you been in the EMS system? There are maybe 20 people in EMT City with as many years service as I do, and I don't think any of us 20 have completely clear records, but we admitted our mistakes, took our lumps, and moved on.

• Like 3

I am aghast with shock and indignation ! Am I alone in thinking that the very fact you even considered taping a purile American sit-com before going on a priority detail showed a gross lack of proffessional , moral and ethical responsibility ?

I will not recant my original statement regarding your actions.

What is more my colonial cousin ! In England Ambulance Services are run with military precision. Between jobs we do not lark about watching television. We are given a myriad of duties, ie cleaning vehicles,cleaning the Station,checking stocks etc,etc.

In England we have no time for slacking !

I can only assume your indignation has been caused by the guilt that my wise words have provoked.

In England Ambulance Services are run with military precision.
Sorry about that. Over here we are not in the military and thus not treated as such.
We are given a myriad of duties, ie cleaning vehicles,cleaning the Station,checking stocks etc,etc.
We do that too. Usually at the beginning of the shift.

I can only assume your indignation has been caused by the guilt that my wise words have provoked.

If I know Richard, hardly.
  • Like 2

I am aghast with shock and indignation ! Am I alone in thinking that the very fact you even considered taping a purile American sit-com before going on a priority detail showed a gross lack of proffessional , moral and ethical responsibility ?

What is more my colonial cousin ! In England Ambulance Services are run with military precision. Between jobs we do not lark about watching television. We are given a myriad of duties, ie cleaning vehicles,cleaning the Station,checking stocks etc,etc.

If you are going to continue to play the role of the moral inquisitor and suffer from an intellectual superiority complex... the least you could do is spell correctly. It's "puerile" not "purile." (unless you were talking about the British rapper Purile) Do you not have spell check in England? Nothing worse than a know-it-all, who doesn't know it all.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember an article posted on the City a month or so ago about an English paramedic, while patient loaded, driving back to the base to get out of work on time. That does not seem to jive with your assertion that everything is on the up and up over it Britannia.

• Like 2

Probably!

I'm not too sure about how things are done under the Crown; but here in America, you cannot punish a man for the thoughts in his head, only his actions!

And therein lies your second mistake! The first was to put your mouth (fingers) in gear before the brain fully comprehended the actual content of his post.

Since you clearly accused Richard of taking time to tape that episode of M*A*S*H prior to answering the call of duty, only to be shown that you were WRONG; yeah, I would at least apologize for sullying his reputation.

I recall an article on the home page within the last couple days about a Liverpool medic who completely misdiagnosed a diabetic emergency and then left after his supervisor pointed it out; (without treating the patient, I might add).

If that's your example of things being run with 'military precision', then I'm thinking that your whole sysem needs overhauled; with a focus on education!

Since he didn't do anything other than answer the call to duty, he's got nothing to feel 'guilty' about!

Suck it up, cupcake; and just admit you 'screwed the pooch' on this one!

• Like 2

KevBUTTnobacon your indignation is not credible. After posting that you ran over the station cat you lost all credibility so you have become a non-entity.

I echo lonestars admonition of your posting history.

You came here to stir the pot yet you failed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.