Need Drug Cards

Hi everyone. I hope this finds you all well and I also hope you're all running some fun and interesting calls these days.

I just recently started a paramedic program and am in need of a comprehensive resource for drug cards and drug info. I have to make drug cards for my class and I can't seem to find any one place that has all the info that I need. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Brentley

Which specific drugs are you having trouble finding info for?

Use textbooks, a CPS, sites like emedicine, drugs.com and such.

If you are looking for copy and paste drug cards you will probably fail at pharmocology, sorry to sound harsh but it is true.... but they are out there if you use the right google search terms.

You will be waaaay ahead of the game if you make your own.

I made 85 - each had, Indications, contraindications, adult dose, classification, pregnancy safety,most common adverse reactions.

EDIT: BTW, there is no 1 stop for drug info. Honestly the best thing to do is use your local EMS protocol's for dosages, but site multiple sources for the rest.

Edited by mobey
  • Like 1

Which specific drugs are you having trouble finding info for?

Use textbooks, a CPS, sites like emedicine, drugs.com and such.

If you are looking for copy and paste drug cards you will probably fail at pharmocology, sorry to sound harsh but it is true.... but they are out there if you use the right google search terms.

You will be waaaay ahead of the game if you make your own.

I made 85 - each had, Indications, contraindications, adult dose, classification, pregnancy safety,most common adverse reactions.

EDIT: BTW, there is no 1 stop for drug info. Honestly the best thing to do is use your local EMS protocol's for dosages, but site multiple sources for the rest.

As far as specific drugs, the list is waaaaaaaay too long to list here. This IS for a class assignment and I do agree that "copy and paste" probably isn't the best way to go. But, I'm finding gathering this info to be a very long and aggravating process. And I'm not necessarily looking for these to be the only extent of my exposure to this info. It is my intention to have these as a reference to study with also. I'm just having trouble narrowing down all of the info that is out there into one usable collective. The info I need is: class, description, mechanism of action, indications, contraindications, precautions, side effects, interactions, dosage, and how supplied. Thanks for your input!

To shorten up the process just use 3 references.

Pick a textbook, medicinenet.com, and rxlist.com.

Those are the easiest to use and most comprehensive sites IMO.

Like I said, I have made over 80 cards and it took about a week working at it every evening.

To shorten up the process just use 3 references.

Pick a textbook, medicinenet.com, and rxlist.com.

Those are the easiest to use and most comprehensive sites IMO.

Like I said, I have made over 80 cards and it took about a week working at it every evening.

• Like 1

Does you class not have a required pharmacology text?

That would make it much easier as you're certainly right, finding the information you need can be tiring and frustrating. Keep in mind though that that frustration can also pay high dividends by forcing you to think through your meds as opposed to simply memorizing them.

But Mobey gave you the secret.

I now carry one of the pocket sized nursing drug guides. I like it a lot, but as with any single source, I've sometimes found it to contain errors.

Good luck.

Dwayne

I used the drug guide that came with my Paramedic Care text books. The workbooks all had cards in the back as well, which I used too. I also used various websites and software programs.

Which textbook did you use?

I have the feeling that I'll end up using the Brady textbooks when I get to the medic program.

Try flashcardexchange.com they should have something.

I used that site to help me memorize protocols, drugs, and many other things. They had all my local things posted, so you should be able to even find something for your area.

To do an in depth research will require well here it goes, RESEARCH. Don't make your cards based on the simple info found in the Brady Paramedic drug book. Use it as a starting point. Then search each drug using google or other site to find additional resources. Then add this info to your drug cards. Hand write your cards. Read them out loud. Record yourself reading. Listen to them. Then rewrite them each from memory so you can pass the test. But then when you actually start treating patients confirm that you are giving right dosage and drug in your protocol book.

I have to agree with our esteemed colleague spenac. Doing the research on your own is imperative. Everyone who has posted above has had to do what is now asked of you. While we may offer different styles of studying, the premise is the same. Write on an index card what you think is required information. Read these cards, record and listen to them over and over until you can make a new set of cards from memory. I broke my drugs up in to categories. I placed all cardiac medications together and studied them as a unit. Then airway medications. Then, well, you get the idea.

While it may seem tedious and lengthy to make out your own drug cards, the pharmacology section of your paramedic class flunks out the majority of the students in my experience. There really is no shortcut. You HAVE to know this stuff.

Information I had on my cards was;

-Drug name, Generic and trade, we use Zofran as an antiemetic. On the vial though it is called Ondansetron.

-Dosages and route of administration as some dosages change with the route ie: Torodol 30mg IV, 60mg IM

-Indications for use

-Contraindications for use

- Side effects of the medication

- Desired result of administration

Good luck with your class!

Edited by JakeEMTP