EVOC Training online

Erick

QUOTE (FireMedic65 @ Jul 29 2009, 04:43 PM)

Yes, get a copy of grand turismo with the steering wheel and pedals.. all you need!

what kind of stupid question is this?

If it's so stupid than why do community colleges offer these courses.

http://www.spcollege.edu/ac/sepsi/inservice.htm

Also the reason I was asking is because I wanted to get a job at this ambulance company and they wanted the candidates to make a copy of their EVOC certification, which I don't have one because we didn't have the EVOC courses at my EMT school.

I know they offer these courses at certain ambulance companies and if I get hired I will be on a orientation basis anyway.

My know in my EMT class we did EVOC training. I called my EVOC instructor and he said that every EMT class goes through EVOC and that if you didn't you should have not gotten your EMT. It is a requirement. Another thing you might try is your local fire department, they do EVOC also. Though it is no exactally like Ambulance EVOV it should fulfill the requirement you need.

• Like 1

EVOC, or equivalent classes, are not a part of the current NY State EMT training.

I had taken several one day combined lecture/big parking lot EVOCs over the years, until I got the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS employment. There, a part of the pre-employment testing was a test drive at the EVOC facility, which at the time, was a runway at the former Naval air Station-Brooklyn (Floyd Bennett Field). I actually got lucky, as the guy who ran the EMS EVOC, a Tony Feminella, decided to take me off the site, and into real traffic in the Flatbush, Mill Basin, and Marine Park areas. I passed, but, as a part of the then 4 week New Employee Orientation Program (in my case, NEOP 85-02) I spent a week chasing after flying traffic cones, even during a thunderstorm, on that damned runway. Tony told us there were about 600 traffic cones on the mile long course, and we'd get to be on a "first name basis" with them, and we did! Most of us from the "Green and White Days" know of what I speak. (To quote Tony, "Watch Out For The Kids!")

It wasn't an automatic pass, either. There were at least 3 in my class that passed everything but EVOC, and had to "Re-Tread" the entire 4 weeks, obviously including the week at EVOC, but pass it they did.

Nowadays, while they no longer have the runway, they run on "streets" in an unoccupied residential area at Fort Totten, in Bayside, Queens, but they have some computer driven simulators, that, except for imitating the "G" forces of actual turns, can be more emotionally straining than actual street driving, although without bent bumpers. Politicians and TV Newspeople have attempted the simulators, and failed miserably, so the newer folks on the job don't feel; so bad.

IMHO, on-line EVOC classes have their place, but it better be augmented with time actually on a driving range.