Home Remedies homework assignment

Lone Star

I was given a 'homework' assignment on Saturday, and could use some 'public input' on....

The assignment was to compile a list of 'home remedies' that are harmful or lethal; (I guess that 'what doesn't cure you will kill you' would be the adage that governs these home remedies).

I appreciate all help that can be offered!

LS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kerosene was used and is used by some still but I don't recall what ailments anymore. Seems like it would be dangerous.

Here people form a funnel out of paper and put the pointed end in the ear and light the open end to take care of earaches.

Kerosene was used and is used by some still but I don't recall what ailments anymore. Seems like it would be dangerous.

Here people form a funnel out of paper and put the pointed end in the ear and light the open end to take care of earaches.

Neither one of those remedies are lethal. People will put their foot in kerosene after stepping on a nail to prevent tetanus. It does work.

The other treatment you mentioned is called candelling. A wax cone is used. When the larger end is lit, a vacuum is created that pulls wax and other debri from the ear canal.

That's an interesting assignment and it will be fun to look some stuff up.

Kerosene was used and is used by some still but I don't recall what ailments anymore...
I think that was the removal of an ex spouse. It may work, given enough time and the right conditions.

Anyway, lets see, here's some I have heard:

Butter for burns

Seizure patients- putting something in their mouth

Nose bleed, leaning back

Alcohol to warm up- hypothermia

Rubbing alcohol to reduce a fever

What would be perfect for you is some of the books I collect. I hate seeing doctors, usually a waste of $98. I got these at antique stores and book stores. "Where There Is No Doctor, A Village Health Care Handbook", "Home Medical Adviser for 1912", "1887 Physician's Home Medicinal Recipe Book", "1900 Dr. A.W. Chase Household Physician's Handbook"... I read a lot.

If you want to kill someone with household medical kindness, these books will certainly get you on your way to a well rounded start.

Edited by 4c6

Ok as someone who's family does practice naturalpathy... Do you want ones that from "modern" history or can I go into my period text books for apothacary? :: cracks fingers, pulls out the white cloth gloves and very old books::

They used to say that cigarettes aided in digestion... does that count?

The assignment was to compile a list of 'home remedies' that are harmful or lethal; (I guess that 'what doesn't cure you will kill you' would be the adage that governs these home remedies).

LS

Chaser re kerosene. I think that was the removal of an ex spouse. It may work, given enough time and the right conditions.

LMAO what are the right conditions ?

Ok LS can you narrow it down a bit ? Historical home remedies NA or present day quackery ?

Looks like someone beat me to the punch with spoon in the mouth for seizures, and butter on burns.

Historical :

During the 40s and 50s smoking cigarette's were prescribed my MDs for those that had asthma.

Throw in oil of wintergreen (a salycilate) for kids with a cough/ cold / flu, oral ... dose dependent on results.

Rubbing snow on frost bitten ears (and btw) my Grandfather swore this saved his ears once in the 30s hmmm ok then gramps.

Present Day:

Q ray ionizing bracelets,

Dr Ho (a Quakropractor) remedy for weight loss through Colon Cleaning, he is more full of shiet than his product.

As is Goji juice ... cranberry has more anti oxidants .... quite a few scams on juices

Chelation cardiac therapy ... yet another expensive myth.

Google the CBC TV show Marketplace website they expose a lot of present day "snake oil" artists.

Foreign Lands ?

Or are you looking for non north american remedies like "coining" i.e. rubbing of a copper coin on a child to reduce illness/ fever. (Chinese or Indonesian)

A piece of pineapple sucked on treats mouth cancer (a Caribbean thing)

Interesting Topic to say the least .

cheers