just a swingin

joesph

So Sky Dive Lost Praire just started so it brings up a fun problem. How do you get a unconscious skydiver out of a 50 foot tree? You are on mountain two track so no ladder trucks, and no you cant cut the tree down. There is probably is no limbs for the first 30-40 feet. What do you do I have an idea or two but maybe somebody already figured this out?

Edited by joesph

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Sky Dive Lost Praire just started so it brings up a fun problem. How do you get a unconscious skydiver out of a 50 foot tree? You are on mountain two track so no ladder trucks, and no you cant cut the tree down. What do you do I have an idea or two but maybe somebody already figured this out?

Get a really really long saw or pair of scissors and start a cuttin.

but in all honesty, I think that someone needs to go climbin.

So Sky Dive Lost Praire just started so it brings up a fun problem. How do you get a unconscious skydiver out of a 50 foot tree? You are on mountain two track so no ladder trucks, and no you cant cut the tree down. There is probably is no limbs for the first 30-40 feet. What do you do I have an idea or two but maybe somebody already figured this out?

Shake the tree.

Hard.

Get ready to catch him.

In all seriousness- I have no idea.

Two words... one hyphen...

Jet-Pack

Chopper with a basket.

Firstly jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft is fraught with issues ... and entanglement in a tree ... a bit of darwinian applied there.

Or Call STARS ...LOL ..... btw no way vertical lifts should be attempted without zero obstruction or your asking for multiple deaths, well documented just no way any attempt with a canopy entangled, unless a jungle penetrator is used and patient awake.

No limbs means proper spiked boots or the ability to shoot a light tag line over a solid limb and pull up a proper rescue line ... then using ascenders Yumars (or can be improvised from Oval carabiners and modified prussik knots with foot slings.

One must be trained for raises and lowering ... before ever attempting remember scene safety to yourself FIRST then proper gear ie (full body harness, lid, slings, prusiks, and or pulleys with locking device (I use mini traxon) for short hauls/ lowers.

The local Electrical Power Line guys are your best bet or a local Arbourist, or a high risk qualified Logger, local SAR groups too, dont dare believe if you have not trained that one can pull this off with just "get a rope and climb" have been at a few of those "rescuers" needing rescue, AND there is NO RUSH ... the guys either ALIVE or DEAD just no point in killing yourself.

No Heroes allowed.

Climb the tree, well above the patient, find good anchor points (then double anchors) secure patient, knowledge of cut away on chute harness kinda important, secure the patient and not on YOUR safety anchor ... cut away ... theres going to be a good drop no matter what you do with dynamic ropes heck even static lines ... lower and treat for suspension trauma.

A big topic in itself from construction workers being "hung up" for any length of time.

Now back to regular scheduled "swinging" programing.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

However it is going to be done, it is going to be a lot more complicated than the trick of getting a cat out of a tree.

For the cat, take a charged deuce and a half line, a bunch of others standing "downstream", aim carefully for the cat, and administer a short burst from the nozzle to dislodge the cat, with the bunch of the others ready to catch a falling cat.

Yeah, I know, not helpful in the case at hand, but mine sounds like fun, anyway.

Yeah, I know, not helpful in the case at hand, but mine sounds like fun, anyway.

Silly your on a mountain, is there a lot of mountains in NYC and pumpers that are 4x4 ?

AND if its a Mountain Lion up the tree .... I ain't going to play "catch a kitty" LOL>