High Court Rules for White Firefighters in Discrimination Suit

paramedicmike

The link didn't work for me.

Back to the original topic. How can a firefighting test be made that is geared more towards one race? I am not a firefighter so maybe I am uneducated on the topic. Are there white people fires and non-white people fires? I was always taught that water puts out fires. Is it different in a predomantly black neighborhood? I still just don't see how a firefighting test could be racially biased. It is like a racially biased med school exam. I just don't get it.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always taught that water puts out fires.

FAIL:

One has to remove one of the components of the fire triangle.

Can I be an officer now ?

ps I quoted this from the Nazi Handbook on Fire Fighting .... and cheers to Mr Godwin :rolleyes:

I am sorry lonestar, i saw alot of your opinions, but not sure what question you want me to answer. And your thinking that minorities make up more of the prison population because they are guilty is incorrect. Ever heard the term "driving while black" ? Its kind of like having a supervisor who gets off on writing his employees up, he will look until he finds something to write you up for, and yes just about everyone in this forum could be written up on a daily basis if your supervisor wanted to do it, does that make you a bad paramedic or EMT. Anyone in here that claims they have never broken the law is a bald-faced liar, all of us have sped in traffic, maybe drove under the influence (not drunk), claimed a deduction on our taxes that was maybe embellished, ran a stop sign on accident, vandalized something as a teen, maybe even stole something somewhere along the way. Blacks do not break the law anymore than their white counterparts, it is just that the police focus on us more. All you have to do is look at the imprisonment statistics for powdered cocaine posession (white man's coke) versus crack posession (black man's coke).

http://www.ussc.gov/crack/CHAP7.HTM

You are talking about differences in sentencing based on the flavor of drug. THAT is wrong, but here's a little tip: If you don't sell or use drugs, you won't be "victimized" by the disparity in sentencing. Problem solved.

As for your claim that whites and blacks commit crimes at the same rate, before you make a blanket statement like that, you need to back that up with some numbers or at least set some parameters. What areas are you talking about? Is this a local or national issue? What are the demograhpics of the areas you are referring to? Intuitively, if there is no difference between rates of crimes, then you would think there would be far more(as a percentage of their group) whites in jail than blacks- since the racial make up of the country is minority black. CLaims of profiling cannot explain those differences by themselves.

As for "profiling", PC or not, I am ALL FOR IT. I've worked in ghettos my whole career where the only other white face I would see would be my partner and a couple firefighters. If we saw a nonminority in the neighborhood, they stood out, and chances are they were only in the area for one reason- purchasing drugs or other illicit activities. They simply had no other reason for being there. I think the police should have every right to stop them and check them out- SOLELY because of their race- "Driving while white". I'm no legal expert, but to me, that should qualify as probably cause to check them and their story out. I've seen it happen dozens of times, but strangely enough, I've never seen ONE of those cases featured on the news as someone having their rights trampled on. They are out of place, they don't belong, and if the police prevent a crime by this "profiling", it's a good thing. Maybe they stop an OD, maybe they prevent a robbery, maybe they prevent a drive by shooting. How is this a bad thing?

If I'm driving through ANY area known for drugs, gangs, or prostitution, I should expect that my intentions should be questioned and my story should be verified.

Switch the players around and suddenly this "Driving while black" thing is a horrible injustice.

The race card cannot explain away everything.

I am not a firefighter so maybe I am uneducated on the topic. Are there white people fires and non-white people fires?

Having been a firefighter in a predominantly black district, I can tell you that regardless of geographical location and demographic makeup, fires burn only one way... HOT!

I was always taught that water puts out fires.

FIREFIGHTING: 150 years of tradition, virtually unaffected by progress/technology. :P:lol::lol::lol::P

FAIL:

One has to remove one of the components of the fire triangle.

FAIL!

The fire triangle was replaced with the fire tetrahedron over thirty years ago.

fire_tetrahedron.jpg

Edited by Dustdevil

er doc, scroll back a few pages and read some of my links or google "blacks and SAT test or standardized tests". If I had you a test written in chinese, could you pass it ? To pass a written test you have to have a good understanding of the language and grammer that is used. Blacks were not allowed into the real education system until the 60s. Fire is fire.

And before you all jump on the "blacks were wrong, whites were right bandwagon, you might want to read some of the history of this Fire Department

http://www.slate.com/id/2221250/entry/2221298/

Blacks were not allowed into the real education system until the 60s.

There are a few million people who weren't even allowed into this country until they were adults. They never spoke a word of English in their lives until immigrating. Yet they seem to excel in English and professional success. What you seem to be saying is that blacks are not as intellectually equipped to compete as other races, regardless of educational opportunities.

Regardless, I have fifty bucks that says none of those who failed the test were held back from education prior to the 1960s.

I have to agree with dust. I seriously doubt anyone taking any of these tests were held back from education prior to the 1960s. As far as educational opportunities today, I lived in my Jeep, worked 55 hours a week at a minimum wage job just to be able to eat and pay for gas to move when the cops ran me out of another parking lot, and had horrible credit from the divorce that landed me in my Jeep. I got every dime of my college paid for without claiming the minority status that I could have. Oh, and I've consistently gotten the balance of my grants(grants, that don't have to be paid back) sent to me, which comes in real handy when you need clothes to put in job apps. So, yeah, if you are willing to fight for it the money is there. It requires swallowing some pride but it can be done. I'm tired of people saying they are poor and living in the ghetto so they can't get money for school. That only makes you more eligible. Add being a minority to that and you're set. So find another excuse. This is also for all the lowlifes that think they need to sell drugs or prostitute to make it.

Edited by Jeepluv77

er doc, scroll back a few pages and read some of my links or google "blacks and SAT test or standardized tests". If I had you a test written in chinese, could you pass it ? To pass a written test you have to have a good understanding of the language and grammer that is used. Blacks were not allowed into the real education system until the 60s. Fire is fire.

And before you all jump on the "blacks were wrong, whites were right bandwagon, you might want to read some of the history of this Fire Department

http://www.slate.com/id/2221250/entry/2221298/

Despite all of your attempts to justify your position, you STILL haven't answered my question!

Let me make this really easy for you this time:

WHY IS IT, ONLY WHITES CAN BE 'RACISTS'?

The bottom line STILL remains: If you don't put any effort into your education, then you won't get anything out of it.

I remember a few years back, there was an assinine movement to establish 'ebonics' as a 'national language', (it failed miserably). http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/22/black.english/index.html

As far as your entire position crotchity, even members of your own ethnic group are speaking out against your position. That can't be good for the credibility of your position! Remember this: Pastor Manning isn't the only "Uncle Tom" that supports an opposite view. Even the famed Bill Cosby has spoken out against your position in the past.

Rather than quit trying and drop out of school, and expect everyone else to support you, you MUST apply yourself and take advantage of the educational opportunities that are put in front of you.

Intelligence is NOT genetically passed down through the ages. Each person is exposed to the same educational opportunities. You start school with very limited knowledge, and then through the school, you are exposed to more information. What you do with that exposure is what determines if you succeed or fail from that point forward.