Canadian Strike FAIL

Dustdevil

But on the topic of the strike the fact is that you should have read my later post that explained why this strike is taking so long and it is again because of a Provincial Election that we had and the government in power is not able to commit to any financial agreements while they are campaining. Also yes the public knows we are on strike but since we still arrive in their time need they dont understand what is really going on. They are going to the table for 2 days of talks this week.

I did read all that. It doesn't change anything. While I appreciate your explaining why it has failed, it has still failed. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can focus on doing something about it. But the longer you live in denial, the longer you will fail.

Now as for the little dig of why I dont post great thread is because I really dont have the ability to do so.

Show me where I made such a "dig". I only asked you the very same question that you asked me. I made no accusations as to why. Why the hell you guys continue to sit here and make up lies like this is beyond me.

Hope you understand that many people whether you like it or not took this personaly...

Many people? We have what, three BCAS medics here? Do the math. But if you take it "personaly", maybe it'll make you mad enough to put your foot in your leadership's arse and get something done. But as long as you continue to believe that it is "beyond our control", I guarantee you that failure is all you will ever see. And sitting here and taking your failure out on me isn't accomplishing a damn thing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone inside the EMS saying they're anti-union would be unheard of over here where I live (Norway). It's so bizarre, I can't even imagine how it would be not to have the unions around.

That said, I can only give my sympathies to the EMTs on strike over the pond. I do hope you'll pull through, even though you've got your hands tied pretty tight. Don't give up though.

Dust, Happi gave a valid explanation of why the strike has gone for 2 months, which you are unwilling to accept - that is your problem, not hers. Everyone knows that during an election, very few political decisions get made, regardless of whether it is in Canada or the US. There are steps being taken this week to rectify that, which was also explained. You have chosen to ignore that too.

"Many people? We have what, three BCAS medics here? Do the math. But if you take it "personaly", maybe it'll make you mad enough to put your foot in your leadership's arse and get something done. "

Spellcheck is your friend.

And, I noted that even your good friend squint gave you a -5, but you choose not to argue with him, only with others.... this shows me that you are arguing for the sake of argument, not for constructive discussion.

Something IS being done, which you are choosing to ignore. The medics in BC are voicing their opinions, fighting for what they think is right, and bringing their issues to the public. They are working to a solution.

"taking your failure out on me isn't accomplishing a damn thing."

I don't see anyone taking anything out on you. Just as you gave your opinons, so have others, which is their right as much as it is yours. You don't have to agree, and neither do they... but to continue on this "I am being picked on" theme is getting *yawn*

News Update Today:

A news release from BCAS (as per their website: www.bcas.ca) states in part:

"Following BCAS and CUPE 873 working with facilitators to find areas of common interest, CUPE 873 asked Labour Relations Board (LRB) mediator Mark Atkinson to resume working with the parties. The parties are scheduled to meet June 11 and 12 with mediator Atkinson to further discuss and define language around these areas of common interest. BCAS is encouraged by the progress that has been made in recent discussions. The parties still remain far apart on compensation issues."

I suspect CUPE will have a response to that shortly...

Dust, Happi gave a valid explanation of why the strike has gone for 2 months, which you are unwilling to accept - that is your problem, not hers.

Either another lie, or a simple failure to comprehend English. Show me a quote where I refused to accept her explanation. Not once have I ever refused to accept the explanations offered here. I accept them.

There are steps being taken this week to rectify that, which was also explained. You have chosen to ignore that too.

Wrong again. I haven't ignored anything. But taking steps does not equal progress. Let me know when these steps produce a resolution. I'll be the first to accept that.

Spellcheck is your friend.

Tell it to Happi. She's the one who misspelled "personaly", not me.

..you are arguing for the sake of argument, not for constructive discussion.

You and Happi have no room whatsoever to talk about "constructive discussion" here. You have done nothing but attack me personally for simply posting this one news thread, out of the dozen or more I have posted in the last month. You accuse me of bashing Canadia, when I never did so, and in fact, this is the first Canadian news thread I have posted in many, many months. You accuse me of bashing BCAS medics which again, I never did. It's been one lie after another from you and her, and I simply don't understand what this is all about. It's not an argument. It's an attack. I'm only defending myself.

I don't see anyone taking anything out on you.

You don't see it because you're not looking in the mirror.

Just as you gave your opinons, so have others, which is their right as much as it is yours. You don't have to agree, and neither do they... but to continue on this "I am being picked on" theme is getting *yawn*

Well then stop it. The record speaks for itself. Anyone reading this thread can clearly see that you and Happi jumped in here and told one lie after another about me, and continue to this very post to accuse me of things I never did. You're the only one who can't see it.

The opinions of others about this thread are indeed as welcome as mine. But your personal opinions of me are completely out of line. You made this thread about me instead of the topic of the news article. I didn't do it. You did it. If that's boring you, well then I am glad to hear it. Move on.

Hmmm Dust….. so far you have called me a liar and an attack dog, and told me to STFU, you have called Scotty “cock breath” and you have called Happiness a liar as well. How is that not an attack?

Now, if my comment about hero cookies and martyrs was seen as an attack, that is how you are welcome to interpret it. I am perfectly happy to take the extra two minutes for the retaliation penalty. You chose to be aggressive and insulting, and you expected me to stand back and take it from you, and when I refused to, you claimed I am attacking… I am ok with that if you want to think that way.

Please show me where I “ told one lie after another” about you. Please show me where I “accuse (Dust) of bashing Canadia” and please learn to spell it right. The fact that you continue to refer to Canada as “Canadia” and “the Republik of Canadia” is offensive; however, I have not accused you of bashing Canada. I merely questioned your reasoning for the title of the thread.

Dust, please direct any further name-calling to me in pm, and your responses to my above requests, in order not to derail this thread again – I will not respond to your baiting further in this thread.

Now, in an effort to not derail this thread again (please note that for almost 2 pages, it was right on track) I have some other comments to make about the current strike situation.

In an article dated June 2, 2009 (http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/tech-biz/Paramedic+strike+leaves+service+staff+bloodied/1654143/story.html) I found one section interesting….

“The ambulance paramedics were victims of lousy timing. They're just coming off a contract that froze their wages for three years before giving them a two per cent hike in 2008. That deal was ratified in 2005, shortly before the provincial government loosened the purse strings and began signing bonus-laden deals with other public-sector unions, contracts designed to guarantee labour peace through the Vancouver Olympics. In 2006, the teachers signed for 16 per cent over five years, 25,000 BCGEU members got 10 per cent over four, while hospital workers averaged 10.8 over four.”

So what is BCAS going to do for the Olympics in 2010? If current students are not getting their practicums due to the strike situation, so new employees are not going to be available, there is a possibility of EMS being short staffed for the Olympics just due to retirements and members leaving for other locations... if the government doesn’t feel embarrassed now, wait until the world is watching…. That may be something the union may want to capitalize on.

Is there anything in the “essential service” legislation that would be directly related to the upcoming Olympics?

*sets out a pill bottle of Ativan and a few bottles of water*

take the hint :)

*Gives Arron the whole bottle and one bottle of water* now you and your best buddy dust can decide how to take these, either orally in one go or a suppository. Or better yet, take the lot as a suppository up dust's ass and that way you get it orally as your often so far up it its not even funny.

Dust, I don't know why I even bother now. You're a burnt out washed out has been wanna cry for me medic, all you thrive on, is a reputation for bringing people, beliefs and thoughts down when they dont match your own. But ya know what, its all good, because when your sitting alone thinking oh woe is me, I'm gonna be out on the streets doing the real job and doing it in the advanced world, with my cookbook knowledge because I chose to learn it. Yes completely off topic, but throughout this thread and others, you just dig yourself into the hole that is arriving faster and faster and you just prove that you are an asshole and have your little minnions of assholes who follow suit so well also.

I'll just stick up for Happiness and Annie on the way you've acted, and spell check might have been applicable in your original title of this thread,

Thanks for another useless post Scotty. Again you do nothing to contribute to a discussion but to bash on the previous poster or someone else. If you would actually read these things, you would see that Dust and me butt horns a lot. So, where you get the idea of me having my head up his ass, is beyond me.

Where you get the idea that Dust is washed up, is pretty offensive. The man has experienced more than you could dream of. I have asked him for advice and questioned things on him numerous times. There is no need for you to come into these discussions and offer nothing but negativity on people. If you want to bash of people, start a thread about it, instead of jumping in and getting things off topic.

Edited by FireMedic65

name='emtannie'

“The ambulance paramedics were victims of lousy timing.”

Disagree with the writer of this news bulletin, but makes a good point in so far as how EMS workers have been getting shafted !

So what is BCAS going to do for the Olympics in 2010? If current students are not getting their practicums due to the strike situation, so new employees are not going to be available, there is a possibility of EMS being short staffed for the Olympics just due to retirements and members leaving for other locations... if the government doesn’t feel embarrassed now, wait until the world is watching…. That may be something the union may want to capitalize on.

BING now this is the leverage needed to advance this is great timing, if CUPE members will dare make a statement at official swearing in affair then nothing to stop them them on a the world stage ps we are still a so called democracy. slave labour is extinct and Canukistan is known for its social service and health infrastructure and care for the pubic, no medical or private provider for Olympics would be a BLACK eye nationally.

Is there anything in the “essential service” legislation that would be directly related to the upcoming Olympics?

IMHO this will be settled well before that event occurs, I bet things will come to a "fair settlement" before the snow flies in Whistler.

cheers

Wow. Ok, I have been watching this thread since its start, and I have to say, as being a member of a service whose contract is on the line, as we are up for sale to the highest bidder (the whole service will cease to exist december 31) kudos to the medics who are not willing to compromise their patient care. Sure it's been going on for 2 months, but 2 months is better than years, and taking the beginning steps is a start. Support is what is needed for these medics, and we should be learning from their situations, NOT slamming their attempts. The joy of government run health care is that nothing happens quickly, and if you screw it up from the beginning, it's screwed up for good. Screw this up, it will be another 5 years before any progress is made. Again, good on the medics for starting it at all. Cojones. All of them.

As to our flea bitten province (thank you squint, I won't even argue with that today), emergency services, though provided by various methods...hospital, municipal, and some private transfer services, we all still answer to the ministry of health. Hence, nothing gets done in a hurry. I work for a service that is staffed 20 hours, and 4 hours on call. It's taken us 5 years to get that 4 hours of our night shift paid. I'm not getting into semantics...I'll put myself into a hypertensive emergency and it will all end badly. But I understand. I see the different standards. I can't believe an area that size still has on call medics. That's. just. irresponsible. IMHO.

Dust. I have always supported you, and been humbled by your knowledge. In this case, however, knowledge does not equate to wisdom. You have contradicted yourself so many times in this thread I had a Linda Blair moment on more than one occasion. Happi and Annie took offense. In fact, I took offense, even though I am not close to the situation (noted, we are also a CUPE service, so we are taking notes and learning). I understand the reason you posted this thread. The posting of the thread is not what was offensive. It was the ROTFL comment that headed it off the got everyone's hackles up (girls, correct me if I'm wrong here). Posting of the thread was necessary and educational, as would have been suggestions, however far-fetched on how to solve this. Laughing at the provinces medics and calling their efforts a failure was not educational, and if you somehow missed that your opening comment would NOT stir the sh!t, you are, indeed slipping. Provincially run health care is not one of the things you have on your resume...to the best of my knowledge. To make changes effectively, they have to start small and start properly...for the good of everyone in the long run. Big jumps and drastic measures mean jobs lost and lives lost in this industry.

Again, kudos to our brothers and sisters out west. Stand strong. Same scene, same pay.

Brat ;)