How old is too old in EMS

Please lets not resort to name calling.

Kat has some very good points there see its not only the OLD that die its the young too. So were they too OLD for EMS? IF 23 is old then heck I must be preJesus or something. Like I said before as long as they can do the job I have no problem with it. But we are beating a dead horse once again.

I stand by my earlier posts, and although most of those obits don't mention a cause of death, it merely supports my argument. This is a very demanding profession that takes a physical and psychological toll on people. Lifestyle choices, repetitive motion injuries, stress, odd hours, sleep deprivation, adrenaline ebbs and surges- it all takes a toll. As for younger people who suddenly pass away, we all know when your number is up- that's it- BUT in my department, I know of many people in their 40's who have had angioplasties, stents, and even a few with full blown bypass surgeries. That is NOT normal for this age group.

I am willing to bet that once some comprehensive, multigenerational studies are done(we need enough data for a valid study and we're still pretty young), it will be shown that the life spans of EMS providers are significantly shorter than that of the general population.

There's also a difference between being able to do something and whether or not someone should.

Ours does too Kat. Physicals, cholesterol check, BGL checked, ECG, BP etc. My employer will work with us through the hospital to correct any problems or potential problems. That being said, I have yet to see anyone be dismissed over this. However, there is a time frame in place to reach a certain weight, cholesterol level etc. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I do know it is enough time to reach one's goal.

I'm 48 y/o and can do this job as well as or better than some of the younger medics. The difference is, I'm not all full of piss and vinegar. I take the time to assess the situation and treat accordingly. I'm positive some of our younger staff get wood when the tones go off! I'd rather have a partner who has some life experiences than someone who thinks they do.

How many EMS services require annual physical checks-ups for their staff? All of Saskatchewan does.

We are starting a wellness initiative here- but it is only voluntary. Blood work, "heart scans", physicals, etc. It's a good thing- a good number of people have been found to have significant heart disease, HTN, or other illnesses and if it wasn't for these check ups, they might not have lived to collect their pensions.

Ours does too Kat. Physicals, cholesterol check, BGL checked, ECG, BP etc. My employer will work with us through the hospital to correct any problems or potential problems. That being said, I have yet to see anyone be dismissed over this. However, there is a time frame in place to reach a certain weight, cholesterol level etc. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I do know it is enough time to reach one's goal.

I'm 48 y/o and can do this job as well as or better than some of the younger medics. The difference is, I'm not all full of piss and vinegar. I take the time to assess the situation and treat accordingly. I'm positive some of our younger staff get wood when the tones go off! I'd rather have a partner who has some life experiences than someone who thinks they do.

I agree with you, and I'm the same age as you are.

I like the energy of new guys and sometimes it helped me when I would be dragging, but that energy does need to be focused and channeled. That's the job of a veteran partner.

Now, I have a veteran partner, but we are of the same mind- we don't get riled up, BS is BS, but if you are sick, we do everything humanly possible to help you.

My dad is 70 years old, and he's still in excellent physical condition, as well as being as smart as he ever was, which is pretty sharp considering he's literally a rocket scientist. :D I'd have no problem whatsoever working with anyone of his shape and intellect, regardless of age. And I'd certainly take him over the average 300 pounder with nothing but a high school education that is in EMS.

Edited by Dustdevil

Old doesn't mean dumb or fat/lazy. It just means old. I hope some old man beats the crap out of you donkeys and I'm doing to laugh when a fatass guy comes huffing and puffing to come to your rescue, sweating crisco on you while they frantically put on a traction splint for your ankle injury.

As long as someone has the body and clear enough mind that is adequate for whatever goes on, more power to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.