How old is too old in EMS

There was a discussion in another thread http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?showtopic=15212&st=10 about how old is too old to work in EMS ...

What do you think ?

Personally I think as long as you can do the job, that's all that matters. Age weight height shouldn't matter as long as you can "adapt and over come"

EDIT : Oh crap put it in the wrong place by clicking new topic on a thread, please move to EMS discussion or other ... Thank you....

Edited by tskstorm

Thanks Tskstorm

Chill out homeboy, first of all age and weight restrictions are not discriminatory, it that was the case on one would require the CPAT and other similar test, also the are cutoff age limits on some FD recruitment flyers, and I totally agree if you can do the job so be it mentality, but in this case she DIED, therefore the job did not get done.

Wow, each post from you gets dumber and dumber. First, I am not your "Homeboy" Grow up, what are you, a 15 year old Gansta wannabe? Perhaps you should research your comments before posting, or would that require shifting your brain out of neutral.

Age discrimination law in:

The United Kingdom:

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/your.../Pages/Age.aspx

Australia

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/age/index.html

Canada

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/human-rights-prote...crimination.pdf

United States

http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/build.../adea_paper.pdf

Although some countries allow age discrimination in certain circumstances, this case is definitely not one of them. You don't even know what caused her death. Perhaps it was a genetic heart defect heretofore undiagnosed and she could have dropped dead at any time, even when she was 25. Age does not cause people to die. Her age had no relevance to her death.

The CPAT has nothing to do with age. Do you even know what that stands for? It's not Can't Permit Aged Toiling? If an individual is 60 years old and passes a CPAT, does he not get the job because he's too old for your tastes?

Its moved Storm. I agree as long as you can do the job physically able and want to do the job you should be allowed to do it.

If you can still function and do the job efficiently, you should be allowed to work still. Personally, I think every EMS employer should require all staff to do agility and physical fitness testing yearly. There are too many overweight people in this field that I have noticed with difficulty due to their weight. That is not the issue here though. Age should not be a factor in this job.

Is it really necessary to link to that story? Honestly.. <_<

Just giving perspective.

If you can still function and do the job efficiently, you should be allowed to work still. Personally, I think every EMS employer should require all staff to do agility and physical fitness testing yearly. There are too many overweight people in this field that I have noticed with difficulty due to their weight. That is not the issue here though. Age should not be a factor in this job.

Age nor weight nor any factor of the such should be an issue

Personally, I think every EMS employer should require all staff to do agility and physical fitness testing yearly.

Agreed.

There are too many overweight people in this field that I have noticed with difficulty due to their weight.

Also agreed. I am definitely overweight and while I was working to fix that before, I redoubled my efforts once I started consolidation. One of the medics (though I use that term loosely; he's incompetent, but that's not related to his weight) I worked with for a few shifts was about 400lbs. As I watched him eat his massive dinner and then a massive snack later, I realized that I could go one way or the other in this job long term. Start eating crap on shift now and I'll look like this guy. Start off now with good, healthy habits and I won't go down that road.

Just giving perspective.

Age nor weight nor any factor of the such should be an issue

Age, weight, or whatever else aren't a factor in skills or knowledge in EMS. Although, being out of shape, I do have an issue with if my partner can't keep up during a rescue, lifting, hiking to a patient, walking up several flights of stairs, etc etc. When the persons weight and or level of physical ability hinder patient care, I have a problem with that.

Thanks Tskstorm

Although some countries allow age discrimination in certain circumstances, this case is definitely not one of them. You don't even know what caused her death. Perhaps it was a genetic heart defect heretofore undiagnosed and she could have dropped dead at any time, even when she was 25. Age does not cause people to die. Her age had no relevance to her death.

The CPAT has nothing to do with age. Do you even know what that stands for? It's not Can't Permit Aged Toiling? If an individual is 60 years old and passes a CPAT, does he not get the job because he's too old for your tastes?

Don't be hater "hommie", look where I come from every year I must pass a wellnes progam which consist of blood work, x-rays strength test, the works, I am just saying you can't have some one die on the job and wonder why if there should be any concern on when to not let someone work in this field any longer., yeah I know the CPAT is not an age, thing but more or less a weight thing, the better in shape you are then better passing score you get and that copuld be the differnce of getting hire with a nice retirement or not.

Don't be hater "hommie", look where I come from every year I must pass a wellnes progam which consist of blood work, x-rays strength test, the works, I am just saying you can't have some one die on the job and wonder why if there should be any concern on when to not let someone work in this field any longer., yeah I know the CPAT is not an age, thing but more or less a weight thing, the better in shape you are then better passing score you get and that copuld be the differnce of getting hire with a nice retirement or not.

You're not making any sense and you should probably give up efforts to do so, you are already doing an excellent job at demonstrating your lack of intelligence. You can have all the health screenings requirements along with strict physical fitness and wellness requirements and still have unexplained deaths on the job. I've seen it first hand, even the healthiest providers with the most strict physical requirements can drop dead at any moment and leave us all pondering the reasons. Your obvious lack of respect for your fellow providers speaks volumes on your maturity and level of professionalism.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.