As Dust might say, pwn3d!

Michael

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see the original source... I'm curious as to whether the author wrote it himself (by his own hand) or had it dictated.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

My thoughts too, Wendy.

It is a very literate and well written letter, which raises some suspicions on who actually drafted the letter. For an era in which education was denied to slaves or difficult to access, at least in the South, this was written by a well educated person.

Although, here is the source quoted at the end of the letter:

[This letter appeared in The Freedman's Book, a collection of writings by "colored authors" compiled in 1865 by the abolitionist Lydia Maria Child.]

Update: Thanks to commenter ZacMatic, who found the entire scanned book at Google Books; it's actually called The Freedmen's Book. Also, the letter was published in two different newspapers, the Cincinnati Commercial and then the New York Tribune, before appearing in Child's book.

Edited by chaser

Whoever wrote it was obviously a big fan of Plato (or Socrates, whichever you credit with The Apology).

"Written just as he dictated it."<

If this is exactly as dictated.... I think he is pretty well spoken for not having a formal education, I guess T.V. teaches a different story (I....I.....I be sorry massa - seems not to be the case)

If that was written exactly as it was dictated, I guess that shoots a BIG hole in the whole 'standardized testing is slanted against blacks' arguement!

If that was written exactly as it was dictated, I guess that shoots a BIG hole in the whole 'standardized testing is slanted against blacks' arguement!

I don't think you'll get very far, with a 143 year old document.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.