Lights and sirens

Can anyone intrepret?

Not sure what you need interpreted. Zippy's in the UK. Things are done a good bit different there than here in the US....especially here in CO.

In the UK, they have dispatchers and Drs prioritize ambulance dispatch for non-999 (non-911 for us). They don't use lights and "noise" or sirens unless it's absolutely neccessary.

Not much more to interpret from that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how many car and truck manufacturers are offering "Daytime Running Lights" as a standard feature, I'd be surprised if there are many services that have not started policies for the regular headlights to be on whenever the vehicles are in motion. Those who don't have such policies, are probably going to do so shortly, in my opinion.

Not sure what you need interpreted. Zippy's in the UK. Things are done a good bit different there than here in the US....especially here in CO.

In the UK, they have dispatchers and Drs prioritize ambulance dispatch for non-999 (non-911 for us). They don't use lights and "noise" or sirens unless it's absolutely neccessary.

Not much more to interpret from that.

"SJA"?

"ITU"?

China's 9-1-1 is 1-1-9

"SJA"?
given your leftpondian location and proven lack of knowledge and understanding of rightpondian practices we'll give you that one

St John Ambulance - perhaps the largest operator of emergency ambulances in the UK - only becasue of the national reach of the organisation... on a county by county basis the NHS has more vehicles but that's 11 seperate regional services ...

"ITU"?

to paraphrase mr. T you a foo and pity you ... how can you expect to be taken seriously on a EMS site if you don't know what an ITU /ICU/ level3 critical care unit is ... and understand that these patients may on occasion have to be transferred between facilities.

given your leftpondian location and proven lack of knowledge and understanding of rightpondian practices we'll give you that one

St John Ambulance - perhaps the largest operator of emergency ambulances in the UK - only becasue of the national reach of the organisation... on a county by county basis the NHS has more vehicles but that's 11 seperate regional services ...

to paraphrase mr. T you a foo and pity you ... how can you expect to be taken seriously on a EMS site if you don't know what an ITU /ICU/ level3 critical care unit is ... and understand that these patients may on occasion have to be transferred between facilities.

Never saw St. John's Ambulance when I accompanied at pt in London and Brighton.

"mr T"?

It don't matter if no.nelse don'take me seriously.

"ITU"?

you won't see " St. John's Ambulance" anywhere , because they don't exist... you'll see plenty of St John Ambulance vehicles especially in london, there's often up to 20 out and about working for London Ambulance service, plus the 6 Ambulances and 4 team response vehicles used by the paediatric / neonatal retrieval service ( www.cats.nhs.uk), before counting whichever vehicles are out doing public duties work, and that's just London, up and down England and Wales SJA crews both paid and volunteer are regularly undertaking work forthe NHS both Emergency and Patient Transport as well as the traditional event cover activities .

SJA were the first responders to both the bradford city fire and the Hillsborough crowd crush.

does the London Marathon get any coverage in the States - all the EMS resourcres for the marathon are provided by SJA including BLS and ALS ambulances RRVs, cycle responders, plus the posts on the route and foot patrols in crowd areas , physician response vehicles and the 'field hospital' major treatment facility at the finish ....

SJA provides the ambulance cover for the British Superbike series, and the ambulance cover at silverstone, brands hatch and Donington park ... SJA is the largest medical contractor on site for the V festivals working with immediate care schemems and the NHS ambulance ( I only have experience of one end of V , but at that site SJA is public face of the medical provision unless you come over the front the pit at the larger stages when security and NHS ambulance staff will meet you and have you over to a treatment facility managed by SJA and staffed by SJA and the Doctors from the immediate care scheme ( many of whom are also SJA members and will be doing similar work in SJA uniform at other concerts and festivals across the year)

Edited by zippyRN

1) Despite my longevity here on the EMT City site, I still need my memory jogged every now and again. I'd forgotten the initials SJA.

2) The quote from Mr. T, in "Rocky 3" is

I pity the fool!

We use lights and siren during traffic situtations or when doing a code in route to the hospital.

Transports to another hospital other than our one local are usually 100+ miles and we don't use lights and sirens unless the patient goes critical in route. Many times you can't get a medivac into our hospital due to weather conditions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.