NREMT-P transfer to Alberta Paramedic?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rolfcopter, sure, mock me for standing up for my fellow Americans.

You were not "standing up" for anyone. You were belittling Canadian EMS personel. That is one thing we do NOT do on this site, unless you have taken your education here, then again in the U.S. you have no vote.

Learn watching T.V.??? WTF???

To O.P.

It really depends on if your school met all the NOCP's that Canada standards meet. The length of the program has little bearing on the quality of your education.

Example: The first term of my course was Pharmacology, Paramedic Emergencies, Anatomy & Physiology...... for all Alberta knows maybe yours was History of U.S. EMS, Emergency driving, Introduction to Local State Protocols and laws.

You can see how your first term would be a waste here.

If you want to look online look at the ACoP website and find the NOCP's for Advanced care Paramedic (ACP)

It was in defense to what kevkei said

"Simple answer, NO.

Perhaps when hell freezes over. (You'll understand if and when you understand who and what ACP is)."

Ummm..... Ya...... ACoP will see to it, it is not an easy process, if they let it happen at all!

WTF does this have to do with Canadian EMS and the way we are educated??

Read the topic about the students who claimed their faults were because "they do it on tv"

and no, it was not a cheap shot. It was in defense to what kevkei said

"Simple answer, NO.

Perhaps when hell freezes over. (You'll understand if and when you understand who and what ACP is)."

Once again you are showing your ignorance.

The comment was NOT directed at Americans.... kevkei's comment was regarding OUR regulating body, and the hoops they make us all jump through....

Read the post by kevkei again.... and again, maybe you shouldn't be posting like you are, regarding a topic you know nothing about.

Read the topic about the students who claimed their faults were because "they do it on tv"

and no, it was not a cheap shot. It was in defense to what kevkei said

"Simple answer, NO.

First off. The thread you are refering to involved a select group of MEDICAL SCHOOL STUDENTS at an individual and isolated medical school. To make such a broad statement citing a single incident is both ignorant and naive. Secondly. Kevkei's line, "Perhaps when hell freezes over. (You'll understand if and when you understand who and what ACoP is)", clearly was not meant as an insult against americans. Alberta College of Paramedics is the self regulated EMT/Paramedic registration body that governs paramedic practise in Alberta. Gaining reciprocity can be extremely difficult to obtain with ACoP coming from another Canadian province. Never mind coming from another country. Now do you understand? It wasn't a slight against someones education just a statement of the way things currently are.

I actually can't complain about ACP the woman I spoke too was helpful in preparing my application and she said it should only take a month or so to get a result. And on the note of American education there are some great schools usually accredited with high standards, my program had me complete 2 bio and anatomy courses, med.terminology, and pharmacology before paramedic classes even began.

blah blah blah blah blah

You can't resist showing your complete lack of maturity or intelligence, can you....

Several people have pointed out that you misinterpreted the posting, that you don't know the details of what is involved in getting accredited in Alberta, and that your comments were completely unprofessional and ignorant...

These forums are for the sharing of information and ideas, and providing resources to those who request it. The OP requested information, which has been provided to them by several people, along with the cautions that it is difficult to transfer certification to Alberta due to the regulations of our governing body.

You have chosen to be childish and insulting, and rather than doing the mature, professional thing, and saying, "you know what, I was out of line" you continue to be childish. It takes a bigger person to admit when they have been out of line - you obviously aren't that person.

It is a good thing that I know many American medics and EMT's who are far more open-minded and willing to have an intelligent discussion, and learn from others and about others, because if you had been the first one I had spoken with, I would be concerned about the quality and maturity of the US EMS system.

I actually can't complain about ACP the woman I spoke too was helpful in preparing my application and she said it should only take a month or so to get a result. And on the note of American education there are some great schools usually accredited with high standards, my program had me complete 2 bio and anatomy courses, med.terminology, and pharmacology before paramedic classes even began.

Good to hear that you saw the value in going through one of the better programs. With that being the case you may have better luck than most. If Alberta doesn't work out you may want to try another province. Based on results to date it seems as though Nova Scotia has a more permissive reciprocity process than most.

My understanding of programs stateside is that there are some excellent associate degree programs and there are some atrocious "medic-mill" programs. Much of the difficulty seems to come from the fact that the cert is considered the same whether it be obtained through and associates degree or a "medic mill". If that's the case you can't help but have what is supposed to be the same level of provider vary wildly in quality.

I am looking at a transfer to Canada, primarily the Yukon to undertake a contract there nursing and EMT. I am mainly writing in response to Aarons pathetic miniscule comments.

You have come back to this site and already have caused nothing but disharmony. Wouldn't it be best to actually complete your NR and EMT-P before actually ripping into individuals and people from other countries who actually have qualifications, certification and oh surprise surprise, are actually working as paramedics. You have insulted others from another country which is bluntly, pathetic and again, I reiterate my point, when you actually pass EMT P and actually register, then talk, otherwise keep your mouth shut and its people like you that make me very happy I am bypassing America and going to Canada!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.