NREMT-P transfer to Alberta Paramedic?

thanks squint - I was just kidding on packing my bags. I'm quite content where I'm at now. That all being said though - i was just curious how the reciprocity for between provinces stacked up to between the states - not from states to canada or vice versa. Thanks though. :argue:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Sorry if I am repeating stuff. Not enough time to read the tread. I have to run soon......

A friend of mine (took his EMT-P at Thomas Jefferson University Hosp in Philly) and he got his AB EMT-P. It was a painful experience ($$$) but it can be done (not for the faint of heart).

He was able to get his EMT-A from Alberta College of Paramedics first. Then, he had to do an ALS practicum with an AB school (this was the hard part).

In effect, it took time and money.

One thing for sure. Make sure you have your ducks lined up and everything in writing.

I hope this helps.

David

Hello,

Sorry if I am repeating stuff. Not enough time to read the tread. I have to run soon......

A friend of mine (took his EMT-P at Thomas Jefferson University Hosp in Philly) and he got his AB EMT-P. It was a painful experience ($$$) but it can be done (not for the faint of heart).

He was able to get his EMT-A from Alberta College of Paramedics first. Then, he had to do an ALS practicum with an AB school (this was the hard part).

One thing for sure. Make sure you have your ducks lined up and everything in writing.

I hope this helps.

David

Not attempting to scare GOOD folks off, but its not a bed of Roses relocating anywhere right now.

personal note:

I am moving my neighbour today ... to Saudia ... hes out of Canada in its entirtey, frustrated with the taxes and Canadian government poking their nose in his buisness, plus the politically correctness and all.

Hello,

I hope this helps.

David

Do you know if hes program was an Associates Degree Program, and how may hours practicum and experience he had, I am canadian citizen and I did additional hours on top of the req. about 460 als plus work experience (2600hrs)because I knew I wanted to transfer to Canada later.

I am moving my neighbour today ... to Saudia ... hes out of Canada in its entirtey, frustrated with the taxes and Canadian government poking their nose in his buisness, plus the politically correctness and all.

So he's going to Saudi Arabia? Hardly an expert, but my impressions of the country was not one known for being a paragon of individual liberty and hands-off government.

Because Canada is SOOO much more superior than we are. They learn EMS by watching tv shows.

Wow Aaron, that goes to show just how incredibly uneducated and ignorant you are. I negate to say typical American because fortunately most are good people and are not at all like you. I have many friends and close family members living in the US and everyone has their quirks, however nobody says things that unintelligent.

Anyhow, as for crossing borders from a US system into Alberta, it has been done as my large and urban ALS service has one EMT-P that I know of who was a paramedic in northern California, and another who was a paramedic both civilian and military in Israel. If it's possible, the person who asked that question will likely have to provide every book or name of that they've ever learned from, certificates, employers, etc etc. ACP I believe reviews all that and after interviews I think you can challenge the provincial exam.

I would contact http://www.collegeofparamedics.org for further information. It can be done. As tniuqs said, it's probably expensive but not impossible.

Edited by Siffiliss

geeze people, calm down. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. It was meant as a joke in response to the Toronto medical students who said they didn't know better because of watching shows like e.r.

If you want to take cheap shots at me for whatever reason it is you don't like me or put me down for not accomplishing some things for reasons you have no idea about, or just want to call me names... then you got issues. I have never put anyone down on the forums here in such immature ways or at all. Grow up!

So he's going to Saudi Arabia? Hardly an expert, but my impressions of the country was not one known for being a paragon of individual liberty and hands-off government.

I guess I should have included he is not a Pamedic he is just working in Saudi, his family is relocation to a country bordering and known to be quite a bit more liberal and tolerant, I know of 4 Alberta Paramedics working and living off shore around the globe they make way less money but their purchasing power is emense as they do not pay anywhere near the amount of taxes that we do in Canada.

Where his family is going to be living gasoline is = 18 cents per liter CND and the same rent moneys for a 500 ft apartment in Edmonton rents him a 3000 sq. ft home, a maid and gardener for a 4 acre estate.

Oh btw ... if any one needs a snow blower, snowshoes, snow machine and a variety of winter clothing and by friends igloo is for sale too .... if you see where I am headed with this.

the person who asked that question will likely have to provide every book or name of that they've ever learned from, certificates, employers, etc etc. ACP I believe reviews all that and after interviews I think you can challenge the provincial exam.

Yup agreed Siffilass, that would be just the tip of the iceberg with ACoP ....

Question to MIMEDIC: this "Associates Degree Program" is it equivelent to a Bachelors of Science or Buisness, to the best of my understanding we do not have Associates Degree in Canada or maybe I am missing something obvious ???

Question to MIMEDIC: this "Associates Degree Program" is it equivelent to a Bachelors of Science or Buisness, to the best of my understanding we do not have Associates Degree in Canada or maybe I am missing something obvious ???

An Associates Degree is Canada is usually called an Applied Degree if I'm not mistaken.

An Applied Degree is usually < Bachelors Degree in the way of credits/years/courses.

Most Applied Degrees can be readily completes in 2-3 years.

Edited by Julian Power

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.