What makes cars explode?

Michael

Would someone please remind me what factors create the risk of car's engine exploding? I recall it was touched on here. A panic reported in this article - http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/0...ext_top_mo.html - was apparently fed by a common belief that overheated or crashed auto engines are unstable. That made me think it would be useful to know the specific conditions for such occurrences, if there are any.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would someone please remind me what factors create the risk of car's engine exploding? I recall it was touched on here. A panic reported in this article - http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/0...ext_top_mo.html - was apparently fed by a common belief that overheated or crashed auto engines are unstable. That made me think it would be useful to know the specific conditions for such occurrences, if there are any.
Hollywood film makers make cars explode.

They also make cars magically launch into the air on ramps hidden from camera view.

Unless you have aerosoled droplets, fuel will just burn.

Throw a lighted match into a gas tank - the match will likely extinguish because the fumes have displaced the O2 to where there is not enough O2 to support combustion.

The most dangerous situation is an empty gas tank which may have the right range of gasoline fumes and air mixture.

When people, panicked that it will explode, quickly pull an auto accident victim from his vehicle, it can be tragic

if cervical spine damage is further exacerbated and results in paralysis.

So cars never explode or ignite from impact? Or is it that every burning car began burning at the moment of impact, in which case cars not already burning are entirely safe to approach without risk of fire? Hosing down an engine at an MVC is never a cautionary/preventive measure? What about vehicles transporting flammable materials?

I know these may seem silly questions, but they're silly only if you know the correct answers and aren't misled by widespread misconceptions.

Edited by Michael

They can catch on fire from impact. Happens a lot as a result from accidents. Usually they generate a gas leak from the collision, and the heat from the engine, exhaust pipe, will ignite the fuel. As far as an explosion, I have never seen a vehicle "explode". Only in the movies that happens.

It is more possible to see this happen in a racing type vehicle. They use a higher octane fuel, or even race fuel, such as ethanol. They are highly flammable and possibly explosive. I still have never seen one "explode" though. Only catching on fire and spreading extremely fast.

The only time I have seen something explode as a result for an accident, were fuel trucks, tankers and so forth. The outside fire and leaking fuel gets so hot, it expands the remaining fuel in the container until it just can't take anymore, then kaboom!

It is not uncommon for tires to explode while the vehicle is on fire, but rarely a vehicle. Vehicle fires do occur from accidents, but it is rare. They are more likely to catch on fire from an electrical short, as you will see more vehicles burning on the side of the road from that, than you will see from collisions. With that being said, there is no such thing as a "safe" vehicle fire.

Most of you know I've been an EMT from 1973. In that time, I have only seen 3 "flamer" wrecks. They all were high speed collisions, with spilled fuel that caught fire from sparks from ripping metal on the impact.

Of those, the deaths were not from the flames or smoke inhalation, but from ejection from the vehicles due to no seat belt being worn. (One victim was found thrown about 100 feet from the car, which literally was split in two by the impact with the power pole. She was traumatic arrest, and pronounced on the scene)

I agree, in part, with the statement on exploding cars, but it is not the cameras, but the special effects people setting the car up FOR the cameras. Hollywood, and now, also "Bollywood", are good at that, for dramatic effect.

It seems to be a universal setup: Car crashes, and rolls, occupants escape through the windows, run or crawl roughly 2 car lengths away, and the car explodes, violently knocking the escapees face down on the street.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

"Exploding gas tanks" are actually a form of BLEVE (BLEVE (pronounced /ˈblɛvi/ BLEV-ee), is an acronym for "boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion".)

BLEVE's are more likely to occur in tanks that are closer to empty than full. The lower the liquid fuel level, the more 'air space' there is. This allows the vapors to collect and pressurize, resulting in a sudden violent ignition of these flamable vapors.

Most tanks (including tanker trailers), have pressure release valves built in to try to prevent BLEVE's.

In fifteen years of firefighting, and countless vehicle fires, I've never seen a car explode, even those that were 'fully involved'.

Remember, that all the car explosions you see on tv are cinematic hijinks, and real cars don't explode like that.

As was said in a previous post, you're more apt to hear the tires explode long before you have to sweat the gas tank going up in your face.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bleve