Black Saturday

Timmy

I have just returned from being deployed as an EMS volunteer to the savage bushfire emergency which evolved on Saturday morning raging across the state of Victoria, Australia. Currently over 120 people have tragically lost there lives in the roaring blaze and at least 900 houses have been burnt over the past 48 hours. They expect that over 200 more bodies will be found as emergency crews go into rural towns that they were not able to access, towns have been burnt off the map in a matter of minutes.

Saturday I was on standby at a massive water sking race, the temperature was 103F (39C) and the winds were strong. We were keep extremely busy with dehydrated drunks, every emergency resource was stretched then the fires broke out and we had to start sending crews. Phones networks were down, power was flicking on and off, the whole thing was just insane. The state fire service responded to over 500 calls within 12 hours.

Saturday night my crew was sent down to a fire staging area/medical evacuation site were over 50 medical related volunteers congregated, we heard news that over 1000 people were injured in a little rural town and were blocked off from the rest of the world but would be bus'ed into our area as soon as it was safe to do so.

Sunday I headed up to a little town up in the mountains, we were the crew responsible for two evacuation centres and one fire staging area. I've never been involved in anything like this before. Hundreds of people with only the clothes on there back, they'd lost everything. I had people coming up to me asking if I had seen there kids/family members/friends because they fear that they had perished in the fire, some people had lost there family and homes, what do you say to these people?

You feel so in adqued, wishing you could do more for them. We let the kids play in the ambulance and I gave them pupil torches to play with. I tried to hold back tears as people cried on my shoulder after witnessing everything they own and even watching family members go up in flames, but it became to overwhelming. A lot of people still have no idea if there house is standing and are not allowed to go back until the fire has passed and police victim identification have looked around.

We had 2 EMS volunteers looking after the evac centres and staging areas and a paramedic team responding to anything out of the town. The evac centres only had myself and another volunteer, 2 registration volunteers and a hand full of catering volunteers to look after about 400, scared,tired people who lost everything. I had no idea what was going on around the front line, no information what so ever and people were asking questions that I had not idea about. You feel so helpless.

We really didn't have many clinical issues, a few minor injuries and a lot of people who left there house and forgot there medication, we also had to help organise fluids for a dialysis patient.

On the up side, so many people have donated things, even simple things like blankets, toothbrushes, old clothes, pet food ect. So many people offer to help in any way they can. When I got home it was so hard to comprehend what happened, the whole thing unfolded so fast and hit so fast, no one had time to do anything but run.

Investigations are under way into a fire bug who may have started some of the fires, words cant describe the angry I feel towards these people, they have killed so many and completely ruined so many lives. What makes some one start a fire on such a high risk say? It makes me sick!

I've had quiet a few Private Messages in regards to people wanting to donate.

The Red Cross is handling donations:

[web:5909eb317b]http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm[/web:5909eb317b]

I'm sure they'd love to hear from you! So many people have lost everything.

Sometimes, people don't need our medical skills... sometimes they just need our empathy. You did a bang up job, Timmy, well done.

Drink some water, make sure you get some sleep, and definitely definitely talk to someone if this stuff starts to haunt you (it's a very stressful situation with smoke and upset people and anger against the perpetrator etc) there's no shame in asking for help processing it.

I'm proud of you! :)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

not to downplay the situation but it was your job! With that said I commend you on your self sacrifice to your profession and the people you serve.

thank you

not downplaying anything

to start with it is NOT timmy's job....he is a uni student that volunteers his time to act as a medical first responder at sporting events.

for timmy to do this is far above and beyong for someone as young as him

good work timmy.............proud of you mate.........stay safe

craig

Timmy, relay the word to all your responder brothers and sisters working that fire to stay safe, so afterwards, they can go back home unhurt to their families! Simplest prayer I can offer, and a mention of "Good, if difficult Job" to all involved.

I saw a pic in the paper today of 4 burned out cars on the highway in your area, which I thought was pretty standard fare for a wildfire. Then I read a caption about how the cars were overtaken by the fire trying to drive away and all inside perished. That put it all into context for me. Great work Timmy, send my personal best to all those involved in the effort.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.