Trauma Care

ERDoc

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I find this study interesting and far too inconclusive. A note to those who disagree with the study, here in Michigan, the ones that decide what Prehospital is allowed to do (Michigan DOT) is run by bureaucrats and bean counters. To them, they see overall trends and cost per patient. It is obvious this is a cost analysis and the bean counters wouldn't get it if it hit them with cardiac arrrest.

As a matter of fact, just recently it took an accomplished law man who later became a fireman and ems training officer for his department, to get the government here to allow public use of AEDs. He testified to the Michigan congress that he would not be there talking with them if someone in an Atlanta, Georgia airport, a layperson, had defibrillated him quickly. It took his testimony and many years of effort from the American Heart Association to get the laws changed here.

Health care isn't immune to cost vs benefit analysis and cuts. Even if it's wrong, the bean counters will get their way unless we speak out and demand change or no change. We see it everyday; everything we do is dictated by the Federal bean counters, the State bean counters, the local Medical Director and the bean counters for whatever service we work for.

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution.

I find this study interesting and far too inconclusive. A note to those who disagree with the study, here in Michigan, the ones that decide what Prehospital is allowed to do (Michigan DOT) is run by bureaucrats and bean counters. To them, they see overall trends and cost per patient. It is obvious this is a cost analysis and the bean counters wouldn't get it if it hit them with cardiac arrrest.

As a matter of fact, just recently it took an accomplished law man who later became a fireman and ems training officer for his department, to get the government here to allow public use of AEDs. He testified to the Michigan congress that he would not be there talking with them if someone in an Atlanta, Georgia airport, a layperson, had defibrillated him quickly. It took his testimony and many years of effort from the American Heart Association to get the laws changed here.

Health care isn't immune to cost vs benefit analysis and cuts. Even if it's wrong, the bean counters will get their way unless we speak out and demand change or no change. We see it everyday; everything we do is dictated by the Federal bean counters, the State bean counters, the local Medical Director and the bean counters for whatever service we work for.

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution.

???????????????????o.k.??????????????????????

I just read today that the OPALS (Ontario Prehospital Advanced Life Support) Study has shown that there is no difference in several survival endpoints for trauma pts that are treated by BLS vs ALS units. The only difference was that in pts who were intubated the outcomes were worse (although the article did not say if these pts were sicker). I'm not trying to start an ALS vs. BLS war, I was just curious as to everyone's thoughts on it.
Could it be an issue of medics doing stay and play, while BLS have limited options so more likely to scoop and run?

I doubt it. No proficient medic in his right mind will stay on scene longer than the time needed to correct immediate life threatening issues. Airway, adequate ventilation, control major bleeding, c-spine if needed, transport.

Trauma is a surgical disease and ALS providers are great but there still not surgeon's. in georgia we have EMT-I and EMT-P basics are not in the back with a patient. the only thing a paramedic can do for a trauma PT that an intermediate can't do is chest decomp. we can do IV's and anything else to keep them hemodynamicly stable.

keep in mind this is georgia and these are the protocols we work under before you attack me understand i did not write them i just work under them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.