Lets change the E in EMS.....

explenture

Driving thru a supposed blizzard got me to thinking. Others were told to stay home and off the roads. There I was tooling along because I had to work. Why did I have to work?

Well as a paramedic in emergency medical services I suppose along with police, fire, utility crews, snow plows etc. we are considered essential. Theoretically the golden arches can close but we can't.

Later I took a call for a person who had fallen in the snow. Knee pain was the chief complaint. The fall and pain were bad enough she met us on her feet outside her house.

Was it essential she go to the ER? Not likely. Probably more essential she went inside and 'RICE'd it.

More evidence that folks don't always know how to use EMS.

So, I thought would it make a difference if EMS became Essential medical services. That is in the midst of a blizzard if it is essential you need medical services call us. If it is not don't.....

Think such a change would make an impact?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, buddy, I have already been stoned for bringing up a similar subject. But I agree with you 100% :)

No you were stoned for how you presented it. As the most vocal for the right to deny transport on here many have agreed with some things and politely explained why they would not on others. Just method of delivery.

As to changing to essential no change would occur. We just will have to start enforcing what an emergency truly is. Some of that in my opinion would include explaining politely on scene that the stubbed toe is not a true emergency even if it is the worst thing that person has ever faced. Then we assist them in dialing a taxi to take them to the hospital.

Good goal, but not sure it wouldn't have the reverse effect, because "essential" is a broader category than "emergency." The phone company switched their "Information" service to "Directory Assistance" because they were getting all kinds of queries of help with kids' homework and the like. Aren't all medical services, with the possible exception of some elective cosmetic procedures, "essential"? Emergent seems like a higher bar to cross than essential, which could include dentistry and treatments for chronic as well as non-emergent acute illnesses. First prize to whoever can evoke pre-dispatch triage with the right label!

I thought EMS stood for:

E - Earn

M- Money

S- Sleeping

Try:

E - Every

M - Minute

S - Sucks

Actually, in the big blizzard of 1996, a member of the NYC EMS, trying to get to EMS Headquarters in Maspeth (Queens County, NYC) from his home in Jersey City (in New Jersey), later advised me the Jersey State Troopers ordered him to return home, as he was not an "essential personnel", who were the only ones supposed to be on the road.

If that were to happen to me, I'd ask the LEO for his/her name, badge, and advise when I'd be docked for the pay for not reporting for duty, that I wanted a copy of their memo book page, to show I wasn't lying about being turned back.

Try:

E - Every

M - Minute

S - Sucks

Actually, in the big blizzard of 1996, a member of the NYC EMS, trying to get to EMS Headquarters in Maspeth (Queens County, NYC) from his home in Jersey City (in New Jersey), later advised me the Jersey State Troopers ordered him to return home, as he was not an "essential personnel", who were the only ones supposed to be on the road.

If that were to happen to me, I'd ask the LEO for his/her name, badge, and advise when I'd be docked for the pay for not reporting for duty, that I wanted a copy of their memo book page, to show I wasn't lying about being turned back.

Every Minute Sucks?! HAHAHAHA loved that one. Never heard of it!

A few of the services have started changing their names in this Province from EMS to "_________ Paramedic Services."

Ottawa EMS is now Ottawa Paramedic Services. This was based on ease of translation (looks similar in English and French) and to recognize the Paramedics specifically. Also it brought them in line with Ottawa Police Services, and Ottawa Fire Services in the nomenclature.

Peel Regional EMS also recently switched to Peel Regional Paramedic Services.

These are two of the biggest services in Ontario.

I'd agree with Michael, Essential seems more broad than Emergency. As for the state trooper, that's just a fault in the legal system that doesn't recognize EMS (and I'd assume other Healthcare workers) as essential. I hope too many ER doc's and nurses weren't turned back too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.