Ban Personal Cell Phones From Ambulance

There's one guy in my agency who would ALWAYS be on that cell phone. Someone told me that he was texting while driving code three!
This clown would be off my ambulance. I'd get my supervisor to replace him or the ambulance would be out of service until a replacement could be found. Either way, this yahoo would not be driving me and my patient any more.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

f my phone rings or vibrants once, I'll immediately turn it off. If it rings again and again, I'll know that something is wrong.

If it rings again and again, you did not turn it off. FAIL!

Ban cell phones from ambulances? What do they want us to do? Stop, climb a pole, and send a telegraph? Radios aren't always on our side.. In fact, I've been to a few hospitals that had no radios.

In that case shouldn't the service be providing a phone? That way it can have all the hospital, base and dispatch numbers programmed in and the service will foot the bill as well as monitoring use rather than have to reimburse providers for their own airtime.

I haven't banned cell phones because they haven't been identified as a problem..so far. My staff each has 2 phones, one for work, the other is personal. There is a company policy preventing the driver from using a cell phone at all times that the vehicle is in motion. The attendant can use the cell phone at any time provided it does not interfere with patient care. If the driver's phone rings s/he can pass it to the attendant to answer it.

As I said though, it's not an issue here likely because if they are on a transfer, it becomes long distance charges. That, and my youngest employee is 32 years old, most seem to outgrow the need to have a phone 24/7 by that age. I am trying to decide if I should include a handsfree bluetooth system in the ambulances because most of our patching is done by cell. There are so many cons to it that I can't decide if they outweigh the pros though.

I haven't banned cell phones because they haven't been identified as a problem..so far. My staff each has 2 phones, one for work, the other is personal. There is a company policy preventing the driver from using a cell phone at all times that the vehicle is in motion. The attendant can use the cell phone at any time provided it does not interfere with patient care. If the driver's phone rings s/he can pass it to the attendant to answer it.

As I said though, it's not an issue here likely because if they are on a transfer, it becomes long distance charges. That, and my youngest employee is 32 years old, most seem to outgrow the need to have a phone 24/7 by that age. I am trying to decide if I should include a handsfree bluetooth system in the ambulances because most of our patching is done by cell. There are so many cons to it that I can't decide if they outweigh the pros though.

Age is not the determining factor. The biggest texter in my company is older than me by at least 10 years. In fact all 5 of the 40 full and part timers that are older than me use their phone more than any of our younger people.

Now rather than ban policys such as no use when driving or with patient. No using them when you are eating with your partner. Just some common courtesy for the most part.

What's a cell phone???

Oh, one of these new fangled gadgets. Didn't have them back....when.

I use to leave the house to get away from the phone. Took some badgering for me to start to carry one, which I sometimes forget. But that's just me.

I don't see banning them altogether, but as long as the privilege is not taken advantage of. Ring tones drives me nuts anyway so I can see about having them on vibrate or off and do like Kaisu does. And definitely no texting on duty, IMHO period. If you can't keep your mind on driving or pt. care, then you don't need to be on duty.

we would be up sit creek without a paddle if we wern't allowed to carry mobile phones. At least once per shift i have th operations center phone me so that i may pass on information to the hospital that should not be transmitted over the air because every asshole with a scanner is listening.

Methinks im a bit cranky this am :?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.