Ban Personal Cell Phones From Ambulance

Show me someone that only has "1" 2-3 minute conversation per shift, and I will agree with you. But you know that is not the norm. The next biggest killer of medics is going to be brain TUMORS from having a cellphone attached to your ear every day for 10-12 hours total.

I'll show you one person who has 1 2-3 minute conversation per shift. ME!!! I have my phone on me but I do not make calls on it except to call my wife and wish my son a good night. I may have one more when my wife goes to bed but that's it.

So you have to agree with the previous poster. I don't think it's professional for anyone to be on a cell phone when working and DEFINATELY NEVER NEVER NEVER when with a patient.

Use your cellphone while you are taking a patient and I'll remove it from your hand and throw it in a sharps box.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either someone's been reading EMS1.com and not crediting Dr. Bledsoe for the inspiration, or else great minds think alike.

http://www.ems1.com/safety/articles/443610...-Phone-Epidemic

by Bryan E. Bledsoe

The Cell Phone Epidemic

I pulled into the local cleaners to drop off some laundry. The petite teenage girl working behind the counter was engaged in an animated conversation on her cell phone. She continued the conversation while sorting my laundry and running the credit card. She was describing, in great detail, how to convert music files from Napster to a format that could be transferred to an iPod. She never really said anything to me. Finally, she pushed the credit card receipt to me to sign and continued to describe how to plug in the iPod to a computer. I signed it, she said nothing to me, and I left. As I got into my car I saw she was doing the same to another customer.

Not long ago I flew to Albuquerque to speak at a paramedic graduation. After I got off the plane, I caught the shuttle to the rental car center. As we were approaching the destination, the bus driver warned us that it was illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving in Albuquerque. Just as he said that, I looked out the window and saw a police officer driving in his patrol car while talking on his cell phone.

Recently, I have had to drive twice to Oklahoma. Invariably, I encountered something in traffic that was disrupting the entire flow. Sometimes it was a car going 40 miles per hour in the left lane. Sometimes, it was a truck weaving back and forth between lanes. The thread that I have found in common in both of these is that the drivers were talking on a cell phone.

I came across something even more shocking last year while I was driving from Notre Dame University to O’Hare Airport in Chicago. As usual, every highway in Chicago was under construction and traffic was down to one lane. In front of me was a brand-new Chevrolet crew cab pick-up with dual rear wheels and a camper shell, that was going 40 miles per hour and weaving back and forth between the temporary lane barriers. I followed this person for at least 20 miles and started to fear that he would make me late for my plane.

I was getting pissed-off to a degree heretofore unseen. I contemplated calling the Chicago Police because surely this fellow was drunk; I could think of no other explanation for such horrible and inconsiderate driving. When a second lane opened up, and I passed the 20-foot long moving traffic jam, I gave the usual dirty look to the driver. This idiot was not only talking on a cell phone, he had a laptop computer installed on a pedestal just to the right of the steering wheel. He was typing while talking and driving. What an ass.

In contrast, several years ago I was riding with the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) out of Surfer’s Paradise, Queensland, Australia. The driver of the ambulance needed to use his cell phone, so he pulled over and made the call. It seems that the cops in Queensland will readily write an ambulance officer a ticket for such behavior. Also, the QAS has fairly stiff sanctions for driving while talking on a cell phone.

Cell phone operation, especially text messaging while driving, is an increasing public safety hazard. This is especially true with inexperienced teenage drivers who now communicate almost exclusively through text messages. The medical and engineering literature is increasingly full of data that shows that cell phone usage while driving is a risky behavior. A French study found that the greatest risks for a serious motor vehicle collision were: exceeding the speed limits on rural roads, risky use of a cell phone, and driving while sleepy[sup:952b3fc1a7]1[/sup:952b3fc1a7]. An Australian study showed that men, younger drivers, and metropolitan residents were the most likely to use a cell phone while driving[sup:952b3fc1a7]2[/sup:952b3fc1a7]. While there is some evidence that the use of hands-free cell phones is less dangerous, it still poses as driving distraction and risk[sup:952b3fc1a7]3[/sup:952b3fc1a7]. There is some evidence that laws banning cell phone usage help, but do not totally eliminate this risky behavior[sup:952b3fc1a7]4[/sup:952b3fc1a7].

EMS is starting to embrace injury and illness prevention programs (e.g., child car seats, bicycle safety helmets, drunk driving). We need to embark upon a campaign to reduce the growing carnage from cell phone distractions while driving—especially among teenagers. This is especially true for text messaging while driving. These behaviors are as risky as drunk driving. All EMS operations should have a strict and clear policy that forbids cell phone usage by EMS drivers while the ambulance is in motion. I would argue that cell phone usage is so distracting that it should be forbidden by all crew members during emergency operations.

I am not against cell phones. I love and hate mine. It allows me to stay in touch with the people through voice and emails. But, it should not be used while driving. I have to admit that I have checked emails and talked on the cell phone while driving. But after almost hitting a parked van on Texas Highway 75 last week, I have resolved to change my behavior. You should too. And, we need to start encouraging the populations we serve to do so as well.

References

1Nabi H, Rachid Salmi L, Lafont S, et al. Attitudes associated with behavioral predictors of serious road traffic crashes: results from the GAZEL cohort. Inj Prev. 2007;13:26-31.

2McEvoy SP, Stevenson MR, Woodward M. Phone use and crashes while driving: A representative survey of two Australian states. Med J Aust. 2006;185:628-629.

3McCartt AT, Hellinga LA, Bratiman KA. Cell phones and driving: a review of the research. Traffic Inj Prev. 2006;7:89-106.

4McCartt AT, Geary LL. Longer term effects of New York State’s law on drivers’ hand held cell phone use. Inj Prev. 1004;10:11-15.

________________________________________________________________________________

Bryan E. Bledsoe, DO, FACEP, EMT-P is an emergency physician, paramedic and EMS educator. Dr. Bledsoe is the principal author of the Brady paramedic textbooks and others. He has more than 20 years publishing experience and has more than 900,000 books in print and has written more than 400 articles. He is a prolific writer, popular lecturer, and EMS researcher. Dr. Bledsoe is currently developing a distributive educational program for initial EMS education through the University of Nevada Las Vegas and online continuing education through Paramedic.com. Dr. Bledsoe maintains residences in Midlothian, Texas and Las Vegas, Nev. To contact Dr. Bledsoe, email bbledsoe@earthlink.net.

I tell you what, look at your bill next month and see how many incoming calls you had versus outgoing, and how many of those outgoing were to a hospital because the radio system was inoperable. The cell phone is only being used for booty calls and other mindless personal discussions that have no place in the workplace -- remember you are on the clock to work, not plan your weekend.

Quite easy, i itemise my account and my employer re-imburses me. Seems like your looking for any reason for banning mobiles despite how valid they are. :?

Crotchity I like you, you have spunk but continuously it seems like you are trying to force your viewpoint down our throats. You take an issue and hammer on it until the regular posters get exasperated and stop posting quickly rendering the post dead.

There is a fine line in almost everything and to you it seems that your point of view is the correct one and whatever we say or state is wrong and you are right.

I think that cell phone use when taking care of a patient or driving is inappropriate but between calls and when you are stationed either on the street corner or in the station that your time is your own. If all your duties are done then as long as you are prepared to respond to a call then there is nothing wrong with using cell phones.

To me it just seems like you do not have an open mind no matter how much you try to show that you do.

NO offense intended in this post just some observations.

If we are going to ban cell phones because they disrupt work, then we need to ban smoking for all EMS workers, ban reading books that do not pertain to work, ban television and internet and email usage while working because it disrupts work.

Crotchity, I remember another poster a few months or so back that took the stance that what his position was is the only position.

I think the posters name was Iamyourgod, you aren't the same person are you?

Your posts seem to be very similar in tone and speach.

Crotchity, I remember another poster a few months or so back that took the stance that what his position was is the only position.

I think the posters name was Iamyourgod, you aren't the same person are you?

Your posts seem to be very similar in tone and speach.

LOL Join the club, seems very similiar and his first several posts were on that idiots topics.

Oh, I have fun with the young bucks out there using thier TEXT all day.... Just start texting them when they are in the bathroom asking if they need an enama, a plumber, Hazmat responce... just do *67 then the number to make your text unknown who sent it....

my favorite thing to do is if ya know someone that has a really retarded or artarded ringtone to call them when they are in a situation where its going to make everyone laugh ahahahaha

Not necessarily a good thing, friend. A former colleague of mine had a ringtone that said "The bimbo is calling you!" when his girlfriend called. Imagine his, and everyone's horror, when the phone said this just after terminating CPR in a patient's home, in front of the patient's family, seconds after telling them, "we're so sorry for your loss"?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.