Controversial Exam for D.C. EMT's

VentMedic

I have no idea when DC switched to NR, or if they have been NR all along. My guess is that since DC is not a "state", they would have never had a "state certification", and would have accepted NR or the certification of neighboring states, but that is just a guess. I am sure someone on here knows.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, on the other hand, have documentation showing that Maryland does not require NR certification for ayone, let alone BLS providers. Or are you of the opinion that DC Fire/EMS exceeds state requirements?

Sorry, CB, but your information is wrong.

Straight from the MIEMSS website, you can't be a paramedic in Maryland without NR. You can't remain a Maryland paramedic without renewing your NR. It's been like that for years. You can't be a CRT (EMT-I/99) without passing the NR EMT-I exam. (Although you don't need to renew it to maintain the cert level. Maryland went to NR EMT-I/99 around 2002/2003. Before that it was just a state cert.) EMT-B in Maryland is their own thing.

As to DC, I remember eight to ten years ago considering applying to the DCFD to work as a medic (fortunately, I came to my senses and never went through with it). They required NR for paramedic back then. I don't remember about EMT-B with regards to the District.

-be safe

I'm going to add a small item to the mix, that the District of Columbia, as with almost any military base, or national park, is supposedly not "in" any state, and is technically the so called "51st State". They don't answer to any state authority, but answer to Congress. I think it's something called "Title 18".

(If I am wrong on this, I know I'm going to get hit in the neck by Dusty or FireDoc5, and be glad for the correction.)

District Of Columbia is listed as a state at the NREMT website, and on their applications. That's all I know.

By the way... has anyone recerted lately? WTF is this craziness in item #18 at the bottom of this form? :shock:

http://www.nremt.org/downloads/2009Paramedicform.pdf

District Of Columbia is listed as a state at the NREMT website, and on their applications. That's all I know.

By the way... has anyone recerted lately? WTF is this craziness in item #18 at the bottom of this form? :shock:

http://www.nremt.org/downloads/2009Paramedicform.pdf

Oh a survey to decide just how crazy we all are. Probably deny renewal if you answer wrong. :twisted:

I felt that life was meaningless

Well, couldn't that be considered a bit of a philosophical question? After all, how many of us are going to be virtually unknown or a random branch in some distant relative's 3rd grade family tree?

Well, couldn't that be considered a bit of a philosophical question? After all, how many of us are going to be virtually unknown or a random branch in some distant relative's 3rd grade family tree?

LOL! Just like the MMPI or PF16, the smarter you are, the worse you score on the exam. Crazy people don't read into the questions like, "If I don't know the meaning of life, is life therefore meaningless?" :lol:

Then what are they complaining about in regards to this "new testing" to keep their job?

Am I missing something or thinking of an entirely different thread?

Really what is the complaint NR, state, in house. It does not matter this was an entry level exam. Are the complainers telling us students that we will get stupid after we finish school. Crap keep up your education and even w/o a chance to study you should be able to pass an entry level exam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.