Controversial Exam for D.C. EMT's

VentMedic

See, I have questions about the 'bear question.' Was it a question regarding bears or a scenario that used a bear as a plot device? One is acceptable, the other isn't. Either way, I bet it was a bear of a question.

I just can not BEAR this discussion anymore.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the lamest article I've read in a long time. What a sob story. "Oh, my family was so proud of me and I shook the mayor's hand! I deserve to be here!" These guys need to get a grip. NREMT was easier than my final written test for certification from my class! I am glad they aren't going to be able to cut corners on this one. It's time for them to take that stuff seriously.

I do hope they get it right next time. I'm sure the bear question went no further than ABC and bleeding control. They just got psyched out.

NREMT was easier than my final written test for certification from my class!

As it should be. Really, there is no good reason for any EMT school graduate to fail the NR written. If it happens, either the school sucks, or you are a retard. Or both. No exceptions. And I'd be willing to wager that the numbers are split evenly between those two options.

This reminds me of the FFs complaining when Ohio switched to NR and canned the state test. FF Medics and EMTs were complaining cause there were questions on there about snakes, venom and other types of insects that sting, etc. They were upset because they do not have nay of those things in their area and should not have to know it.

I remember writing then as I do now, how ludicrous! Those questions are maybe in the number of 3, THREE at the most on that exam. FOr them to complain about bear attacks...hmmm are there no ZOOS in DC?? What if a circus was driving by on the interstate and their tractor trailer with a bear overturned and he got loose?? What if they are traveling, vacationing, in another state on a CME event (ha ha) and happen to run across a bear attack?? Bear attacks are rare even for those of us who live somewhere the possibility it may happen, yet we have to know the information.

It is called standardization. They did not complain when the IAFF pushed for standardization across the board, so why are they now?

(Not actually quoting VentMedic, only as poster of the article)

"I haven't done nothing on a fire truck. And that's what I wanted to do to serve my city," said Williams.
Frankly, I think this statement says it all.

If one can't pass the NR Basic exam after multiple attempts, do you really belong on an ambulance? It is a requirement of DCFD to pass the exam to maintain employment, if you can't then you can go down the road kicking stones. Even if they were taught to the local requirements and their own exam, surely with a little studying on the part of the testee ( can I say that here?), surely one could obtain a 70.

DC, another place not to visit.

Can anyone explain why the treatment, assumeing the bear has moved on, for the INJURIES caused by a bear would be any different, in pre-hosp. setting, than the injuries sustained by getting hit by a bus or getting attacked by a knife wielding maniac? Multiple lacs, some blunt trauma...stop bleeding, support airway...ok maybe some psych issues considering this guy was walking down a street in DC "HOLY F***, DUDE I'M BEING ATTACKED BY A F***ING BEAR!!!!" I could see where that may mess you up for a bit.

So Airway, Bleeding, and CISD.

...ok maybe some psych issues considering this guy was walking down a street in DC "HOLY F***, DUDE I'M BEING ATTACKED BY A F***ING BEAR!!!!" I could see where that may mess you up for a bit.

:lol: Oh man...I thought that was funny as hell....

Dwayne

OK, I am bored, so I am just going to take the opposing view to see if I can argue it:

The test is obviously racist since JaQuante' Staton couldnt pass it. Much like when they asked children in the hood questions like "saucer is to plate" as teacup is to: _________________". If you grow up in the hood, and have never seen a saucer or a teacup, you cant answer the question.

To ask someone who grew up in an urban area to answer a bear question is unfair. He probably knew the answer, but second guessed himself thinking if they said "bear" there must be something unique to bear bites. It would be like asking firefighters in Cuba a question about frostbite.

And if it is a NR test, it is probably graded the NR way, which means you can miss one question and fail a section. The test is racist or atleast biased against urban people and probably poor people, so it should be thrown out. The EMT is licensed to do the job, and met the hiring requirements, so he should not be fired.

While certainly not popular, I do believe that is a valid point, Crotch. I do not, however, believe it is relevant to this particular situation. The test does not test knowledge gained in the frame of reference of one's culture. It tests knowledge that should have specifically been taught in the course. Culture-fair testing would not be a relevant concept to the educational process, only to intelligence testing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.