Walmart guy "resusitation"? (Vid inside!!!)

vs-eh?

What do we do for a crushed larynx, clearly all they had there was possibly fire and PD? What can be done, BLS, for that? Surgical airway, prehospital? Even if BLS could beg permission to do something from command, wtf would be use? A scalpel from the OB kit and a 20FR NPA; try to do what Macgyver did with a knife and a bic pen?

Maybe they should just leave the fricken doors open for people to come in, most Wal-Marts are 24Hrs anyway. Allowing people to huddle together at the doors like a mosh pit is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of.. Maybe because I don't shop there... but still.. Buy the hard to find in Nov/Dec stuff in July.. when it's not hard to find.

What do we do for a crushed larynx, clearly all they had there was possibly fire and PD? What can be done, BLS, for that? Surgical airway, prehospital? Even if BLS could beg permission to do something from command, wtf would be use? A scalpel from the OB kit and a 20FR NPA; try to do what Macgyver did with a knife and a bic pen?

Maybe they should just leave the fricken doors open for people to come in, most Wal-Marts are 24Hrs anyway. Allowing people to huddle together at the doors like a mosh pit is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of.. Maybe because I don't shop there... but still.. Buy the hard to find in Nov/Dec stuff in July.. when it's not hard to find.

Yeah Macgyver couldn't do it, bit I'm sure MCGRUBER COULDA!

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/1...ops_share_.html

New York Daily News Editorial.

The Wal-Mart horror: Store and cops share blame for Black Friday stampede

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 4:00 AM

In the most bizarre homicide in recent memory, frenzied shoppers stomped the life's breath out of an innocent man. Those who killed him and those who let it happen, including Wal-Mart and Nassau County, must answer for his life.

Just before daybreak the day after Thanksgiving, Jdimytai Damour was trampled by a senseless mob stampeding into a Long Island Wal-Mart, which made no discernible effort to calm or control the situation.

In fact, Damour, who was hired to do maintenance work, may have been sent to face the mob in the last-minute hope that at 6-feet-7 and 270 pounds, his impressive bulk might fill the yawning security gap left by Wal-Mart managers. Without training or support, he became a sacrificial lamb.

How many are guilty? Morally, every one in the crazed throng who, in a frenzy to save a few lousy dollars on a flat-screen television, stepped on a fellow human being as he lay helpless, struggling unavailingly for air under a maelstrom of greed. Legally, only those who can be convicted of a crime at the bar of justice.

Law enforcement experts say cases will be very hard to make. Still, every effort must be made to find the wrongdoers and make them pay.

Wal-Mart must bear a heavy burden of responsibility for letting things spiral into utter mayhem at its Green Acres Mall store in Valley Stream.

Managers were plainly aiming to start the Christmas shopping season with a bang by offering deep discounts keyed to a 5 a.m. opening. They provided lots of reasons for a big and excited crowd to gather in the early-morning darkness - but not the means to keep it from morphing into a mob.

Those means were readily at hand.

There is no imaginable excuse for Wal-Mart's failure to station trained and equipped security personnel outside the door. The cost would have been a few thousand dollars, a trifle compared to the cost of a human life.

It's simple: When you pump up the volume of crowds with doorbuster sales and early openings, you must shoulder the responsibility for the safety of customers and staff.

Nassau County police, who checked on the crowd several times before the tragedy, got people to line up and said they saw no threat of violence. But the county cops didn't stick around until opening time, when all hell broke loose.

Had the cops remained at the store, the outcome might have been very different. Last-minute arrivals who didn't want to stand in line seem to have started the surge that smashed down the doors and crushed Damour.

For all future retail frenzies, Nassau County must take a tougher line on crowd control, even if it means dispersing shoppers at stores that haven't made the proper provisions for security.

Latest news has it that the victim's family is sueing Wal-Mart, the mall its attatched to and the police department.

Ya knew it was inevitable. The family would eventually try to sue anyone and everyone even remotely involved.

Actually I agree (mostly) with the article. I think Wal-Mart DOES have to shoulder some of the responsibility for this incident. They created the situation that enabled it to happen, and it appears that the proper precautions - be it security, organization, or planning - were not set in place. True, it wasn't "wal-mart" that physically trampled the guy to death, but I believe the store was in a unique position to ensure that this "doorbuster" was handled safely, and they clearly failed in that respect.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the giggling... It's obviously just wrong but people react to death in many ways I've seen it happen before. Again not that it's right but most people haven't seen a dead body much less a fresh one with "CPR" being done (use that term lightly here).

Maybe the arm chair quarterbacks could have jumped in and done better CPR instead of commenting on how poor it was (even though they are right).

I happen to be proud of my third grade education, thank you very much :evil: Especially because it was one of the last years of my schooled life that had recess (they take that away after fifth grade). Now the schools get all mad at parents and kids for kids being to fat and yet continue to cut PE and other physical activities for more education. I think that new movie Wall*E had it right... but we wont be fat and stupid, we'll be fat and educated and unemployed.

Ok, and now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.