When Canada was born.

Arctickat

As God was creating the Earth an angel noted he was spending a particularly long time on one spot. Curious, the angel questioned God as to why he was working so hard on this one piece of the world.

God put his arm around the angel's shoulders and said look there. This is going to be the jewel upon the crown of my creation. To the West the ocean surf will crash upon rugged mountains that will reach up to the clouds. They will be the source of pristine water that will flow from the mountains over vast prairies. This rugged coastline to the East will be the most adored by any person to visit. The vast ice fields to the North will be the climate control centre for the entire world.

Life will flourish and prosper. When humans discover and settle here, they will call it Canada and earn a reputation as the most polite and peace loving folk the world over because the land will suit any sort of personality. There will be sprawling cities to quaint hamlets from sea to sea to sea. These people will be generous to their fellow man, ready to help whenever asked. They will know the words, "Please" and "Thank You" and will carry a respect for the needs of those around them. They will also fiercely protect those who need protection. They will gain a reputation across the world as excellent fighters, but never the aggressor.

This jewel will become the shining example that all the world will one day need.

Agape with awe, the angel shortly recovers from the stunning oratory and asks one last question.

"Please my lord, I do not understand. You are a being of balance. When you created day, you also created night to balance. When you created land, you also created water. Why is it that this land, this jewel of your crown is such a perfect place?"

God cast a kindly look upon his angel and winked, "Wait until you see the belligerent A-holes I'm putting South of them"

Does that include Quebec? Because you don't want to get me started on Quebec./Est-ce que cela inclut le Québec ? Puisque vous ne voulez pas me mettre en route sur le Québec.

Does that include Quebec? Because you don't want to get me started on Quebec./Est-ce que cela inclut le Québec ? Puisque vous ne voulez pas me mettre en route sur le Québec.
The majority of Canadians lay no claim to Quebec.

Ive got a serious question, and I absolutely see the humor in the story, and those that know me will understand that this does not come from being offended by it.

I've been to Canada fishing many times. Loved the country, the towns and the cities, and very much most of the people I've met there, and here as well. I found them to be kind and funny and intelligent.

My experience with Canadians in the Afghanistan medical community has been very different though. I'm almost daily disgusted by the treatment and disrespect I see the Canadians give the Afghanistan locals. They laugh at them, point and say insulting things to and at them. Once when I questioned pain control before transporting a pt with two traumatic amputations secondary to an IED explosion I was told, "If he wants adequate pain control then perhaps he should produce an insurance card, shouldn't he?" (Heee Heee Heee went the staff)

I'm always very aware of the fact that we are tasked with caring for the military primarily, but when resources are available we are also tasked with caring for a people that have driven several mechanized militaries out of their country in their sandals.

Is the Canadian idea of compassionate patient care and management different than what we've come to expect in the States? Is healthcare in general viewed differently? Is there perhaps a different mindset in the military that in private medicine? Have I simply stumbled upon a bunch of bad eggs?

I've also had extensive contact with the U.S. Air Force hospital where dealing with locals is concerned, and not one of the comments I've heard here would have been tolerated there, where locals are treated with dignity the same as anyone else. The near constant derision and poor level of care...I can't imagine.

Of course this is a generalization. I have seen inspiring care givers at the Canadian hospital, but, in my limited experience there, they are rare.

I certainly see the possibility of this creating a shit storm here. But I'll ask that you approach these questions with the understanding that I ask them sincerely, and have attempted to do so with respect, with the understanding that perhaps there is a cultural "something" that I just don't get.

Thanks for your time....

Dwayne

Well Dwayne I can't really say if this is the norm with Canadian military medics or not. I know it certainly isn't the case in civilian EMS in Canada. I would venture to say the medics you've dealt with may be burnt out having done multiple tours with very little home time in between.

I do not believe there is a lack of compassion "as a rule"

Without knowing each individuals background I cannot comment on why they are the way they are. But I can say that what you are describing is appauling to me.... so that must mean it is not the norm since I am not used to it.

These people are doing a poor job of representing Canada and If I were thier superier I would tear them a new A-Hole. How would they like it I treat thier families like that here in Canada while they are in Afganistan??

To be completely honest.... I wonder if these are Medics that work on Reserves here in Canada, I am not racist.... I am just stating what I know, and that is, our ambulance system is severly abused by our native american population, I can see how burned out heartless medics may become racist and treat people like that. No I am not saying it is acceptable - in fact I think they should leave the profession.... I am just trying to figure in my own head how an adult ever gets to the point of "making fun" of his fellow humans.

Discraceful.... I hope they read this!

Grow up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.