Tips for cold weather

JPINFV

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having spent most of my career working in New England winters, I've found that starting with a cotton poly turtleneck as a base layer and flannel lined pants will keep me warm without overdoing it. Now that I'm in Maine I keep a down vest along with my outer shell coat in the truck, if I need to be outside for more than a few minutes. A good synthetic touque to pull down over your ears and when needed for bitter artic winds a face mask. For gloves I buy low cost leather work gloves 5-10 $ / pair with the fleece lining. If they get spooged up just toss them out. A good outer shell wind/rain coat is always good to keep handy for those snow turning to rain storms that happen frequently along the north shore. Ours are fluorescent lime with reflexite trim and have lots of velcro pockets.

When temps drop down into the teens or lower I have an insulated jumpsuit which is okay if your going to be outside for extended lengths of time ,but

Way too much for going in & out of buildings where you will overheat & get sweat soaked quickly.

Do your self a favor and buy a good pair of waterproof boots 8 or 10" tall with a midlevel traction sole. if it gets icy pull on a pair of ice grippers {about $20] for the really slippery storms with rain freezing to ice. I also put a pair of insulated socks in my bag for when your feet get wet. Nothing feels as good as a pair of dry socks to change into.

The company you will be working for is a pretty good outfit. good luck and enjoy learning from your partners.

P.S Thinsulate is your friend. warm & lightweight.

I will be presumptuous that some reading this are not from climates that drop down to below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. To these readers, I mention that water conducts heat and cold. If wearing wet socks, you can lose body heat quickly, so that is why the postings from us in the colder climates hammer so heavily on the subject of dry socks.

I moved from So. Cal. to Kotzebue, Alaska (above the Arctic Circle) about six months ago.

You remember how we were taught to make sure the scene is safe before making pt. contact? Well up here, the scene is not safe! This brings a whole new dimension to dealing with outdoor trauma emergencies. ABC's, c-colar, and load up! We have to really be aware of the dangers involved with possible hypothermia in our pt., not to mention incredibly uncomfortable coldness to our hands and face! Good Luck.

Layering is the best way to dress.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but there's a company called Smartwool that makes base layers that are exceptionally warm, soft and non-scratchy(!). They also make really good socks, too. I've worn them for a while now and they're phenomenal. Expensive? Yes. But I've not been cold while wearing them (in similar conditions and colder to what you're describing).

If that's a little out of your price range you can try some Capilene base layers. Good stuff there, too.

Get a good hat that covers your ears.

If they don't provide some sort of jacket/sweatshirt for you, make sure whatever you wear on top has pockets so you can put your gloves and hat somewhere on your person when going inside.

Welcome to working in New England. :lol:

-be safe

Well Mike, based soley on your word I just ordered two full set of the Smart Wool stuff. Holy Crap! I could just about have hired a full time person to ride around in my jump suit to keep me warm! (Stop in now, all of you!)

But I have faith in you brother...I look forward to giving them a go...but for $100 a set or so, if I continue to freeze my chee chees off I'll be sending you evil thoughts.....

Dwayne

I moved from So. Cal. to Kotzebue, Alaska (above the Arctic Circle) about six months ago.

You remember how we were taught to make sure the scene is safe before making pt. contact? Well up here, the scene is not safe! This brings a whole new dimension to dealing with outdoor trauma emergencies. ABC's, c-colar, and load up! We have to really be aware of the dangers involved with possible hypothermia in our pt., not to mention incredibly uncomfortable coldness to our hands and face! Good Luck.

An excellent point you bring up about hypothermia for both the pt's and the providers. assume that if they have been out in sub freezing temps for any length of time that it's a serious possibility. Frostbite also becomes a problem with exposure. Cardiac irritability is another problem to be concerned about with hypothermia & prolonged exposure to low temps.

An excellent point you bring up about hypothermia for both the pt's and the providers. assume that if they have been out in sub freezing temps for any length of time that it's a serious possibility. Frostbite also becomes a problem with exposure. Cardiac irritability is another problem to be concerned about with hypothermia & prolonged exposure to low temps.

Ya, this is a real concern especially in rural EMS. It can take me over a half hour to get to some scenes, if someone has been outside in -30C weather with a wind chill it brings a whole new dimension to the call.

I completly agree about trauma patients. LOC,ABC,Immobilize... get into rig. Then I will start cutting cloths, O2 and all the rest. That kind of brings me to another point.... If your patients cloths are even damp (in trauma in the snow they usually are) make sure they come off, hypothermia is a real problem that is too often overlooked especially in trauma where injuries distract providers.

I always practice and preach taking Temp with initial vitals, and hypothermia is half the reason. It is amazing how many people especially older people are hypothermic even if thier houses. I bet over half the elderly that I pick up off thier floor in the winter are stage 1 hypothermic...

Hmmm, I am glad this was brought up again since real winter should start anyday!!

Good thread.

I agree with the focus on the patient -- make sure you have warm IV fluids, and that you keep one backboard inside the patient compartment, instead of all on the outside so the patient doesnt have to lay on a slab of ice. You can feel and correct your coldness, your patient may not.

DUDE use search Hypothermia IV, CAF cold water Immersion .

Rid Rider 911 ... IV fluids ... quite intersting, perf IVs and Heating are a waste of time and effort.

Dwayne? you have chee chees? umm, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call em mee mees? :lol:

The thing that bothers me the most are my feet. Plenty of spare socks!!! You can layer them up and shed them pretty quickly, plus you most definately want ot keep em toasty!!

:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.