Tips for cold weather

JPINFV

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emphasis, "Should"!

From what I've seen and heard of this company, I don't doubt that they are providing the proper equipment. Any private company that has it's own patient simulator has enough money for jackets. Of course there's always that fine line between things that the company provides (e.x. jackets) and things that the employees provide (e.x. shoes).

As everyone else has mentioned use layers. They make it easy to adjust to your working environment. Go for an 8 inch boot with composite rather than steel toes/shank. They cost more but the warmer feet are worth it. If your going to be out in extreme climates for any amount of time your service should provide you with adequate turnout gear.

...and stay away from Danners. Excellent quality and very comfortable thru all weather except ice and snow. They are no good in cold weather, the soul has no grip whatsoever.

keep chapstick with you when its windy and cold your lips will chap fast.

I suggest if you only have short sleve shirts wear a long johns top that matches underneat keep your coat in the medic. Most residences are nursing home hot and you will sweat.

Get a hat/beanie that covers your ears

if your walking on metal stairs and there is snow on them be careful just like with the ice you dont want to fall down and go boom making yourself look like an arse

I agree with the focus on the patient -- make sure you have warm IV fluids, and that you keep one backboard inside the patient compartment, instead of all on the outside so the patient doesnt have to lay on a slab of ice. You can feel and correct your coldness, your patient may not.

One more thing about metal steps, as opposed to brick: Like the roadway signs state that the "Bridge freezes before roadway", metal steps will freeze before, and not defrost till after, brick steps, as they are conductive to cold.

Also, wooden steps (and decks) are always slippery when wet, which, due to an injury taking me off the job for 3 months after sliding and falling onto my folded carry chair a few years ago, I can attest to. Thank goodness for Line Of Duty Injury (LODI) workers compensation!

The best way to fight the cold is to stay inside, other than that you are up a creek at times. I swear by underarmor undergarmets. The ones designed for cold weather that is. A good coat, a "beanie" hat and some decent gloves. I also carry a pack of the chemical heat packs for my hands in my coat, and carry a few extra in my bag, they are cheap, and easy to use, although I have not had to use many of them due to the fact that most of your scene time is pretty short when outside. I have danner boots, and love them, I have not had much problem with traction, but had a horrible time with my rocky's. I also put an extra pair of insoles in my boots, helps keep the feet warm, and my boots are a 1/2 size too big so I can wear the thin polyester liner sock and a thinner wool sock. I do through in a pair of insulated bib overalls in the rig with me on the really cold days. If we get out on a fire standby, and I want to walk the scene a little, I can slip them on really easily, and they are a huge insurance policy if we are on an out of town transfer and have problems on the road.

Dressing in layers is a great way to stay warm and be able to regulate your temperature, but in all honesty, I wear just my underarmor, and uniform with my coat and this is adequate 95-99% of the time. My gloves are the cheap white liner type of glove you can find that meat packing plant workers wear. They are dirt cheap, and will allow me to wear XL exam gloves with no problem if working outside. Once we are in the rig, rip off the outer exam gloves, put the liners in my pocket if clean, and slip on my regular large exam gloves I use. Normally works pretty good for me.

I also like to keep the heat in the back of the rig on at least medium, so that the back of the rig is warm enough to get a pt into, and then adjust from there. I get cold fast, and this works well for me. There are a lot of good tips on here, you should do just fine. Have fun in the cold, and never, never hesitate to initiate a good old fashioned snow ball fight. Don't forget the sunglasses, the sun is bright on snow.

This image is the best one I could find. My ex partner there is showing what we commonly wore in the extreme northern Ontario service I used to work for. And that was nearing Christmas time so it was bloody cold. A sweater with a wind breaker is all you need for 95% of your calls.

Picture003-1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.