FL teen commits suicide on webcam...

akflightmedic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite possibly she needs to find the compassion for herself before she can show it for others..Or maybe she doesn't even know what is (beyond a dictionary definition). :shock:

It must be a cold, harsh way to live without the ability or willingness to show compassion, especially at such a young age.

She is, of course, very welcome to have her opinions. I cannot, however, see her having a long, prosperous, or enjoyable career in any profession involving service to humans( or any living thing, for that matter), with the attitude she is demonstrating. I would venture a guess that these burned out medics she speaks of have and show compassion, and the accompanying empathy, for their patients. The fact that they don't show it openly with their co-workers may an old school machismo act, or simply a coping strategy for years of bombardment with bad situations and even worse outcomes.

So does Cynical deserve compassion..certainly.

Does she deserve my, or other's, respect for her and her opinions? Not a chance.

I suspect this is not the least bit important to her :D

_Just another opinion_

R/R hit it directly on the head with that post!

I treat all my pt's the same,whether they are frequent fliers or new Pt's. They all get the same compassion and care.

Just because your service is set up to hinder your advancement in the field, does not mean everyones is set up that way.

I work with EMT partners a lot and they are as much a part of the pt care as I am. Until they need to drive us in, they help with all aspects of the evaluation and treatment.

I will tell you. You are 22 years old and most likely do not have much experience outside of your area. EMS in other parts of the country does work, the way it should and lets their EMT's and Medic's treat pt's with compassion. if you push away all the non emergent Pt's, how long do you think you will have a job. If you call volume drops by 40%, your service will cut it's staff by 40%.

People are trying to get you to realize that what you were taught, is not how EMS is really done. It is up to you to choose to listen or not!

I wasn't going to say anything, but...Cynical, I'm cynical by nature. Just ask almost anyone I worked for or with. But to me it seems like you put forth an effort to be cynical just so you can appear cynical.

Clear as mud???

Cynicalwrote:

I am the driver of an ambulance. I never have patient care. I'm there on scene with my medic and I put the patient in the back of the ambulance, and outside of that, I dont know a whole lot that goes on. My company runs an EMT/Paramedic unit, so the paramedics get all the patient care. All they really need us for is to drive.

Ok I have read the posts about your attitude and agree with them, The reason I posted this little comment of yours is simple. You are either ignorant or stupid. If you are ignorant then maybe you can learn something about YOUR scope of practice!

You are a certified EMT in the State of AZ. YOU are as responsible for the well being of your pt as the medics on scene. You will be held liable by the state along with your partner if it is found the pt did not receive care that could be performed at your level. Also if your partner is named in a lawsuit you will be too. You will be held to the standard of care, for your level of certification. If you do not understand this ask Kaisu.

"I was just following orders" doesn't work and you said you prefer bluntness.

OK as the person that is calloused and likes to deny transport, heres what happened to me yesterday. I finished a 120 hour shift. Drove the 200+ miles home. Just barely walked in the door when the ambulance pulled up next door. I have two options ignore it even though I know the poor little lady that lives there or go over so shes a face she knows. Do I show compassion or not? What do you think? Well rather than let you wait I did walk to her house. The medic miss understood the complaint and was actually about to provide wrong care. I stopped him even though I have no authority. Talked with the little lady. Gave her a hug. Calmed her down. Explained to the medic what was wrong. Explained to the woman what we needed to do. I helped get her in the ambulance made sure she got the pain meds she needed. Gave her another hug, she kissed my cheek and thanked me. Left her in the capable hands of the ambulance crew and finally got to get in my house to hug my family I had not seen for nearly 6 days.

So could I have helped her w/o compassion? No because w/o compassion I would not have even gone over there and the wrong treatment would have been given. After I was on scene could I have helped w/o compassion? Actually yes I could have coldly explained to the medic and her and left. But honestly the hugs and hand holding did her more good than all the medical care she got in the ambulance.

You know something else the fact that I exposed my self by expressing compassion allowed me to feel good to. So it is a 2 way street. You get back what you give. Cold and a jerk thats what you get in return. Show compassion , love, concern, you will if not from that patient but someone get the same. This also served as a good lesson to the kiddo to know the importance of treating people with love. Actions speak louder than words.

Not crying over a suicide victim is one thing. Treating their situation with cold-hearted indifference is another. No where in any textbook does it say that the best way to deal with a psych patient is "tough it out with them". Just as I have cautioned people against playing Dr. Phil with the psych patients, I will caution that trying to "set them straight" and "snap them out of it" is just as ignorant and harmful. Now I'll be the last person to say follow protocol chapter and verse, but you should at least have a protocol for dealing with mental health issues, and stick to its guidelines.

Treat them professionally with care towards their mental state, and transport them to an appropriate facility. Then feel free to go to a bar, have a brew, and talk about what "really needs to be done with them crazies."

Well all of the post have been pretty intersting to say the least. First and most any call that comes in can turn faster than top. It dosn't matter if it is a phyc or a medical, so even when I have the frequent flyer in the back of the ambulance I always keep in mind that something can happen at any moment.

As for mental illness and suicide I have some pretty strong opinions. I have seen the system screw with the mentally ill and have watched some pts try to get the help that they are seeking. Alot of the time they go to the docs (there is no offence to any docs) and they are sent on their way with a perscription. Alot of the drugs they are given make them feel even sicker than when they entered the hospital. One pt is so far gone that I am sure I will be called to his house for a suicide attempt. This pt has BATTLED with mental illness for his entire life and is getting worse not better. The last time I had any dealings with him the dr that was treating his said to me He wont get the help until he hurts himself or someone else. Why does it have to be that way he has begged them over and over to send him to mental facility so he can get the help. Another intersting piece of this pt is that his family was told 20 years ago that when he turned 45 he will get better. They waited until 45 came and went and he is no better. The only thing I can do in this situation is make sure that his 16 yr old son has a safe place to be on the weekends and that his son understands what mental illness is.

As for suicide I feel that the people that do succeed are selfish to some degree, and maybe the people that are not seeing the signs are to. Sometime we just ignore these things and hope for the best in the end. When I get these calls it is usually a done deal and I now have to look at the family members to see who my next pt is. In my community if something like this happens the whole town is at the scene. My last one was a 20 yr old male that had broken up with his girlfriend and was owing some money to a drug dealer. He was a nice young man who made some wrong decisions in his life. The funniest thing is that when everyone had gotten together after and started to talk about it, it was discovered that almost everyone that was dear to him got a call and not one person answered the phone. Would this had made a difference I don't know but it sure shows what happens when compassion is not a part of the equation.

As for cynical I will not try to bash you as you may feel you have been in this forum. One thing you need to understand in this field of work is that compassion is a big part of it. You will learn this as soon as you have a family member or a friend that has to deal with an EMT that is showing the same attitude you have shown in here. I truely learn on this site and I try to take what I learn to my next pt. Just because the call isn't life threatning it dosn't mean it isn't important. You one day by showing some compassion to someone who you don't think deserves it may make the differnce in whether that person lives or not. I alway tell the new people at our station 2 things. 1 is don't ever piss off the firemen and 2 is to treat the patient the same way you want to be treated.

Just to stick my two cents worth in........I have always felt that the most important "treatment" we (whether BLS, ALS, or whatever) provide for our patients is simply to be there. Yes, there are illnesses and injuries that we can directly treat or at least begin to treat in the field, but, whatever the pt's complaint, the fact that they are calling 9-1-1 indicates that their particular situation is something they can't handle themselves. That is where true EMS comes in, in my opinion. Most callers are relieved just to have someone do SOMETHING. I have seen O2 @ 2lpm via nc bring more relief to a pt than 4mg morphine just because someone is listening to them and taking some kind of action on their behalf. Bear in mind that I'm speaking in generalities as we all know of the "frequent flyers", and "bs" calls. But, even in those situations, the fact that someone is taking ACTION on behalf of the caller seems to bring most patients a sense of order and peace. In short......step up, step aside or step back, either way, get to stepping.

OK as the person that is calloused and likes to deny transport, heres what happened to me yesterday. I finished a 120 hour shift. Drove the 200+ miles home. Just barely walked in the door when the ambulance pulled up next door. I have two options ignore it even though I know the poor little lady that lives there or go over so shes a face she knows. Do I show compassion or not? What do you think? Well rather than let you wait I did walk to her house. The medic miss understood the complaint and was actually about to provide wrong care. I stopped him even though I have no authority. Talked with the little lady. Gave her a hug. Calmed her down. Explained to the medic what was wrong. Explained to the woman what we needed to do. I helped get her in the ambulance made sure she got the pain meds she needed. Gave her another hug, she kissed my cheek and thanked me. Left her in the capable hands of the ambulance crew and finally got to get in my house to hug my family I had not seen for nearly 6 days.

So could I have helped her w/o compassion? No because w/o compassion I would not have even gone over there and the wrong treatment would have been given. After I was on scene could I have helped w/o compassion? Actually yes I could have coldly explained to the medic and her and left. But honestly the hugs and hand holding did her more good than all the medical care she got in the ambulance.

You know something else the fact that I exposed my self by expressing compassion allowed me to feel good to. So it is a 2 way street. You get back what you give. Cold and a jerk thats what you get in return. Show compassion , love, concern, you will if not from that patient but someone get the same. This also served as a good lesson to the kiddo to know the importance of treating people with love. Actions speak louder than words.

I lived in an apartment complex with five buildings. And of course everyone new I was a Paramedic. I'd get knocks on my door at all times before calling 911. And one lady I was her first contact if she pushed her little button. Did I mind? No. It got old after awhile, but I still didn't mind.