Missouri "Paramedic $10.75 per hour" ?

SANDMEDIC

I know our taxes our way higher than down there and cost of living is different everywhere, but can someone help me lay out some estimates or purchasing power parity north and south of the border.

My fiance makes $10.75/hr in an unskilled retail job.

As a PCP (BLS) I stand to make around $30.00/hr working 12's, 16 days/month

Gross income is $69120

An ACP (ALS) stands to make around $35.00/hr working 12's, 16 days/month

Gross income is $80640

Taxes for combined federal and provincial income tax equals 25.97%. That's without any other deductions such as EI or without any writeoffs and the like. So it's a rough number at best. But based on this I calculate a take home of

PCP - $51169

ACP - $59697

This is where I get confused. Everytime comparative wages between the US and Canada come up for EMS, the whole take home and cost of living argument comes up and I'm told that realistically we make about the same above and below the border. This seems hard to believe. Am I missing something? Because from where I stand alot of you guys and gals are getting hosed on pay down there, even after our huge taxes.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a daughter who works as a corrections officer in Ontario. She makes 72K per year but does not live better than me. The cost of living for her is so high I actually do better in terms of the stuff I own, the stuff I buy, the dinners I eat out, etc. etc. etc. Whenever she visits me she is amazed at how cheap things are. When I visit her, I am blown away by how expensive everything is. I know this is anecdotal and not stats but its what I got. 8)

I'm not doubting you on this, but that's the problem with anecdotal.

I just pulled up circuit city vs futureshop on the same model 32" Samsung LCD

Circuit City (US) $849

Futureshop (Can) $699

(these are both without any of the random reductions in their mark-up)

Looked over at DVD's and they seem about the same. For example "Tinkerbell" is $29.99 in both placed for the movie that will delight your kids and drive you nuts as they watch it again and again...

Anyways, I digress. I'll have to do some more checking into this stuff. Don't know why it interests me so much at the moment.

Long story short, some of us are lucky and get a living wage from EMS. Others not so much. Hopefully we as a profession can one day help pull these guys up so no medic's making $10 bucks an hour.

I'm not doubting you on this, but that's the problem with anecdotal.

I just pulled up circuit city vs futureshop on the same model 32" Samsung LCD

Circuit City (US) $849

Futureshop (Can) $699

(these are both without any of the random reductions in their mark-up)

Looked over at DVD's and they seem about the same. For example "Tinkerbell" is $29.99 in both placed for the movie that will delight your kids and drive you nuts as they watch it again and again...

Anyways, I digress. I'll have to do some more checking into this stuff. Don't know why it interests me so much at the moment.

Long story short, some of us are lucky and get a living wage from EMS. Others not so much. Hopefully we as a profession can one day help pull these guys up so no medic's making $10 bucks an hour.

Electronics are a bad comparison.... they have always been traditionally cheaper in Canada than the states.

True....

and what the hell is a kelly shift??????

Kelly shift is usually a 24 hour on and 48 hour off with a rotation of rotation of the cycle of seven times, one got 6 days off. We use a modified Kelly of 24 on and 24 off, then 4 days off.

In comparison for salary based upon costs of living, for example renting a nice apartment in my area ranges from $400-700 a month w/utilities included, a very nice home w/land can be purchased for little over $100k and I am paying just $2.00 -2.10 a gallon for (real) gas. Which in comparison of some areas is much cheaper but again the salaries are adjusted.

R/r 911

Berkeley shift schedule, which is: 24 hours on, 24 hours off, 24 hours on, 24 hours off, 24 hours on, four days off. Then the schedule repeats.

Kelly shift schedule, which is: 24 hours on 48 off, then the cycle repeats.

There are many variations in the Kelly schedule.

After repeating that cycle seven times, there is six days off in row. (again many variations).

Modified Kelly - 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off. Beginning Jan 1, we go to 48 on, 96 off. Tough gig for those that can't sleep whenever they get a chance to. I'm good with an hour here, 30 minutes there as long as I get 3 or 4 at some point uninterrupted.

Sorry about using an obscure term.

Sorry about using an obscure term.

Not that obscure. Everyone in the professional fire service knows what it is. Only the volly whackers and EMS people who have no relation to the fire service will not recognise it.