Help with pen habit

Eydawn

ROFL at Mateo and Michael!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try the tape trick. That, or have a pen I use specifically for patient stuff and a pen specifically for paperwork that I only touch if I've washed my hands.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try the tape trick. That, or have a pen I use specifically for patient stuff and a pen specifically for paperwork that I only touch if I've washed my hands.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Make the tape even better add a little LOUISIANE HOTTER'N HELL SAUCE or even better yet some of this: http://www.hotshoppe.com/productPage.asp?P...UCES%28CAJUN%29

[web:33dbb19dc8]http://www.hotshoppe.com/productPage.asp?PID=769&CategoryID=2&CategoryName=HOT+SAUCES%28CAJUN%29[/web:33dbb19dc8]

I like hot sauce. Not a good deterrent lol.

But thanks for the suggestion! Coon ass indeed....

As to washing my hands FOR dealing with patients, of course you wash your hands as much as practicable before patient contact. But it's even more important to me, at least, to want to wash my hands after patient contact before I touch my pen and other items in my possession....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy

CO EMT-B

The only 'problem' I see with the 'specific pens, is that when you're using the 'only for paperwork' pen, you're only using that as a 'buffer' to continue your habit. (It's ok, it's the 'paperwork only' pen!)

This will be like any other 'behavior modification' to get rid of a bad habit, (like biting fingernails). Germs and bacteria are 'transferable, so everything we come in contact with on a daily basis, (especially frequent contact), must be treated as 'suspect'.

Try one of these.... one of the EMT's I worked with tried it to end her pen chewing... she attached it to her pocket where she usually held her pen... and the tug of the pen when she tried to get it to her mouth was enough of a reminder....

http://www.hongjing168.com/cp7/HJ001J%20Re...table%20pen.jpg

Eventually she went back to regular pens when she had broken the habit...

Those lanyard pens aren't a bad idea. We'll see if taping the ick pen works. I have a shift tonight, so we'll put it to the test.

I don't want to completely stop chewing on pens, because it's something that helps me study. Chewing gum doesn't do the same thing for me... so I only want to break myself of nibbling on the ick pen I use at work (strangely enough, I had no problems not chewing on the pens I used in the cadaver lab this summer... go figure lol.)

Yes, I know everyday pens have germs too... but it's unprofessional to take a pen from a patient who I just brought in puking/coughing/otherwise ick and put it in my mouth not 5 minutes later when I'm doing paperwork.

Wendy

CO EMT-B