• Yes, once.
    • Yes, multiple times.
    • I'm speechless.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more common as family gives their loved ones a cell phone so it is easier to keep in touch.
Damn cell phones again. We had a call one night from a elderly Gentleman at a NH, c/c of unable to pee. the pt. placed this call according to dispatch. Turns out he needed his cath bag emptied. Could have been a UTI though. Just one of the things I was thinking about enroute. Always do an assessment

Must be the meds to cause such a drastic change. :lol:

He PMd me to see if I knew where to get the new, "Doctors save lives, paramedics save doctors" shirt. He also wanted to know what shade of red to get his new pickup painted so that it would best match the new Whelen® Liberty™ 8-Head Bar LED Lightbar w/ Takedown & Alleys he got from Galls.

Yep I made a nursing home neglect/incompetence run during my PCP precepting that I'll never forget. We're called to a Nursing home for a 76 y/o female IDDM patient with a decreased LOC. We do our initial assessment and low and behold her BGL registers as low (below the range of the glucometer). So we start a line, run 100mL of D10W into her with 50mg of Thiamine and she perks right up with a BGL of 6.2mmol/L. As we look at the patients care record and question the RN in charge we discover the cause of the sudden low. The RN gave this patient 40 units of Humulin with a starting BGL of 3.9mmol/L when the patient's BGL usually registers around 11mmol/L. All this and the patient had yet to eat that day. .

Thats not incompetance, thats attempted murder!

Can't you BC guys push D50 W ? and why Thiamine, not that it will cause any harm, was there a history of ETOH abuse ?

One of my night sups had a private call from a hospital floor to transport the pt to another hospital, while he was working the streets the other night. They went and the lady pt refused to stay, so after a lengthy talk with legal (both the hospital and ours @ about 0230) the Pt signed out AMA... walked across the street followed by my sup and then transported to the other hospital. All the above was done to avoid a COBRA violation for the original hospital.

Ever since the first time I began to hear audible bubbling, from a patients airway, a good fifty feet from the room.. Walked in, to see an elderly man, cyanotic, white froth in his mouth, exhaling, and inhaling.. this thick foam.. on a simple mask at 3LPM... and the nurses saying "they're not sure what's wrong".. I'm not surprised by anything that can be negatively expressed, about a nursing facility.

I know, they can only do what the doctor orders... But allowing someone to drown, in bed, laying flat, with an aspirator outside the door.. should be a crime, punishable with similar suffering. Nothing, infuriates me more... I can complain, write a report, report it in the ER, to the county, to the state, the Dept. of Health, Agency on Aging, etc.. With in a week, it's swept under the metaphorical carpet.. and it's always the same story, and similar incidents on the next run. It's all one big circle of hell.. If I were able, I'd commit suicide, before being placed in a nursing facility.

He PMd me to see if I knew where to get the new, "Doctors save lives, paramedics save doctors" shirt. He also wanted to know what shade of red to get his new pickup painted so that it would best match the new Whelen® Liberty™ 8-Head Bar LED Lightbar w/ Takedown & Alleys he got from Galls.

Dust invited me to his home.......but I could not risk being seen there.....

[spoil:ee887e88af]How many Stars of Life can you count? :shock:

(Click on photo for a bigger and better view) :wink:

100_0311-Copy-1.jpg[/spoil:ee887e88af]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.