Dustdevil

Have you ever made a run like this?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• No.
    • Yes, once.
    • Yes, multiple times.
    • I'm speechless.

"Medic 3, priority 3 to ***** Nursing Home on an 83 year old female who states she has fallen and cannot get any of the staff to help her."

Wow. :shock:

We always hear about this happening in the ER, but I believe this is the first time I personally have ever heard it coming from a nursing home patient.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are two types of calls that come to mind. One, which I've been on, is the staff calling because they can't physically help the patient up (this was an assisted living facility at night, so there wasn't much staff to help anyways, and the patient fell in an elevator. The staff called us). The other type would be the staff ignoring the patient, which I would consider to fall under mandatory reporter guidelines, especially if the facility had a history of it happening (and I've reported facilities for less).

Sittin' around, listening to the scanner, huh?

Whacker.

You know Dust PM'ed the other day when he was having trouble deciding on which set of lights for his truck to get. Then he included a pic of his new star of life tat with flames and something about volly ff/medics save lives with their dedication or some crap like that. :shock: :twisted: (ps, don't ask to see the tat, my shrink says I'm scarred for life. :wink: )

You know Dust PM'ed the other day when he was having trouble deciding on which set of lights for his truck to get. Then he included a pic of his new star of life tat with flames and something about volly ff/medics save lives with their dedication or some crap like that. :shock: :twisted: (ps, don't ask to see the tat, my shrink says I'm scarred for life. :wink: )

really he pm'd me the other day and asked me which type of penlight was better, he also asked me how many different items that he could put on his belt that wouldn't make him look to whackerish.

But the best quesiton he asked me so far is should he go for the firemedic or vollie emt-p position at the local firehall.

really he pm'd me the other day and asked me which type of penlight was better, he also asked me how many different items that he could put on his belt that wouldn't make him look to whackerish.

But the best quesiton he asked me so far is should he go for the firemedic or vollie emt-p position at the local firehall.

Must be the meds to cause such a drastic change. :lol:

Yep I made a nursing home neglect/incompetence run during my PCP precepting that I'll never forget. We're called to a Nursing home for a 76 y/o female IDDM patient with a decreased LOC. We do our initial assessment and low and behold her BGL registers as low (below the range of the glucometer). So we start a line, run 100mL of D10W into her with 50mg of Thiamine and she perks right up with a BGL of 6.2mmol/L. As we look at the patients care record and question the RN in charge we discover the cause of the sudden low. The RN gave this patient 40 units of Humulin with a starting BGL of 3.9mmol/L when the patient's BGL usually registers around 11mmol/L. All this and the patient had yet to eat that day. I guess this particular nursing home is where the bottom feeders of the nursing class end up.

Yes, I wasn't questioning whether or not neglect happens in long term care facilities, or any other facility (including ambulances) for that matter. It's an ugly fact of life. What is unique about this particular scenario is that THE PATIENT called 911 from a long term care facility. That, I have never seen before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.