Watch Your Mouth

firedoc5

This topic is definitely not referring to the use of profanity. But I was just reminded of an incident. We had our annual Mass Trauma Drill and had students from the high school's health class as victims. The actual drill was surprisingly split into two separate incidents at the same time. The incident I was on was a "plane" crash, where I was the primary triage officer. We were using a school bus as a fuselage.

The second incident was a natural gas explosion across town. Since I was on the other "scene" I don't know the particulars of what was going down with the explosion scene. But during the exercise one of the Medics doing triage was doing his assessments. He came across a "victim" and said, "This b!tch is dead." , and moved on. Evidently that didn't go over too well with the young lady.

During the debriefing the incident was mentioned. We just thought that someone just shot off his mouth and didn't think too much about it.

Later on the next day there were a few of us called into the coordinator's office. We thought, Great, now comes the time where we hear how we did 101 things right then be torn apart for the 2 things we did wrong. But no. The school principal and superintendent came in. The dead b!tch comment became a very sensitive and upsetting issue. Not just with the girl but the entire class of students and her parents.

To make a story somewhat shorter, the Medic who made the comment was suspended for three months and was put on double secret probation for a year. They threatened to knock him down to an EMT-A, but didn't do it. So, all in all, we were reminded that we were professionals and that "excessive use of profanity would not be tolerated". There were about five agencies participating in the drill and each one had provisions added to their employee guidelines.

And I know of separate incidents where a patient or their families have complained of ambulance crews using profanity. Which didn't set well.

As my grandmother told me when I was young, profanity just shows ignorance of the english language. Which to this day has stayed with me.

How were they going to knock him down to an EMT-A? Unless you mean at that agency only?

Not only with the agency, but with the EMS System we were in. And the resource hospital.

What do you mean he was suspended for 3 months? Is this his full time job? If it is:

The punishment definitely doesn't fit the crime.

The supervisors and parents should watch mtv or go sit and listen to the type of vocabulary being used at school by students.

If you were to check the student handbook, the penalty for profanity is probably a 20 min detention.

What do you mean he was suspended for 3 months? Is this his full time job? If it is:

The punishment definitely doesn't fit the crime.

The supervisors and parents should watch mtv or go sit and listen to the type of vocabulary being used at school by students.

If you were to check the student handbook, the penalty for profanity is probably a 20 min detention.

I'm on the fence about this one. But I do think we definitely should hold our professionals to a much higher standard than high school students, so I cannot find any relevance in your last statement.

This guy did irreparable harm to the image of our entire profession. That is an extremely serious infraction that can neither be overlooked or under-addressed. MTV and high school language notwithstanding, people look up to us. And that one comment killed that respect for that student, as well as every other person who subsequently heard of it. If he were struggling with an abusive crackhead, and let an F-bomb fly, that would be forgivable. This incident is not.

I think a reduction of operating status (medic to EMT) is ludicrous. It isn't in any way related to the infraction, and does nothing to mitigate it. It also deteriorates the employee's skills for three months, which is not a positive thing. Whoever thought that one up ought to be reduced from manager to truck washer for three months.

Three months of suspension would have more context if we knew if this was an actual EMPLOYEE, or just some part-time volly. Assuming this is a full-time employee, then this was not really a suspension. It was their way of firing him without having to fight with the union. Knowing nothing else about the employee or the organisation, I am inclined to agree with that decision. I would suspect that the employee has a history of such gaffes and the poor attitude that it illustrates.

I agree completely with what's been said thus far...there is a time and place for cursing/using profanity, and during an MCI DRILL is not one of them. There should be no "panic" amongst the players, as it's all make-believe, and a good time to build skills and confidences. Who was the person that this medic said that too? I know you said she was a "victim," but was she a student in another program, or someone volunteering from this profession? Not that it really makes a difference, but just wondering. I don't really know how they could, as an EMS system downgrade him for a certain amount of time...(at least that concept is not used in AZ). If YOU as the practicioner want to downgrade your cert, no big deal, but otherwise, your medical direction can be suspended for XYZ time frame, which of course means you can't practice until that's dealt with. Or they can put some limitations on your certification...need to contact the hospital on every run vs. using standing orders, etc. That's about it system wise here. Either way, that medic really shouldn't be invited back next time...

To make a story somewhat shorter, the Medic who made the comment was suspended for three months and was put on double secret probation for a year.

"Double Secret Probation?"

Paging Senator Plutarsky! Paging Senator Plutarsky!

The "victim" was a 15 yr. old from the high school. She was getting ready to become a "Candy Striper" in the summer and eventually go into nursing. Almost any 15yr. old girl is going to be a little sensitive to a comment like that about her. I don't blame her for getting upset.

Jeff, the medic, was a paid part-time employee of a private ambulance serv. To be an EMT-I or Paramedic the EMS System had to sponsor you. So basically for those three months they pulled his sponsorship as an ALS provider. He could still run, but only as a Basic. Many of us thought that was a bit too much, but you can't argue with the "powers-to-be". The ambulance service still had him run, but was mainly scheduled for interstate transfers as a driver.

I know Jeff, was on a call one Sunday morning to an Episcopalian Church. While lifting the lady, who was above average weight, a questionable word or two was uttered. It wasn't loud, but a few of the congregation heard it as did the minister. But I can't remember if it was actually Jeff and not the other Medic that said it. Nothing was done about it other than being reminded that we should be more careful of what you say on a call, especially if you're in a church. I myself would have made them write a letter of apology, but that's just me.

Everything was fine with the Johnson boys, Jimmy, 17, and Peter, 14, except their foul language. Mrs. Johnson didn't know what to do with her sons to stop them from cursing, often at most inappropriate times, so she finally asked her pediatrician if he had any advice.

"Mrs. Johnson," the doctor told her, "This is a very simple problem with a very simple and very direct solution. You have to make it so unpleasant for your boys to curse that they will stop doing it."

"How?" the mother asked. "I've already lectured them and begged them, I've told them how indecent it is, but nothing seems to help."

The doctor shook his head. "Direct action, Mrs. Johnson, is the only way that will work, and you must implement it instantly. The next time one of your boys uses unacceptable language, don't lecture, don't plead, just simply hit him -- hard -- so that he will immediately associate swearing with being hurt. I guarantee you that will solve the problem."

So the next morning, while the boys were in the kitchen, Mrs. Johnson asked her elder son, "What would you like for breakfast, this morning, Jimmy?"

"Gimme some of that f%$*'n oatmeal, Ma!" Jimmy snarled.

Carefully recalling the doctor's prescription, Mrs. Johnson quickly stepped to the table where Jimmy was sitting, and suddenly cold-cocked her son with a rabbit-punch to the jaw. Jimmy, taken completely by surprise, fell back with his chair, hit his head against the floor, and was out cold, bleeding from the space in this mouth where, a few seconds earlier, two of his teeth had been securely in place.

Mrs. Johnson then turned to her younger son, smiled sweetly, and said to him, "Now Peter, Dear, what would you like for breakfast this morning?"

Peter stared at his mother, and then at his older brother lying unconscious and bleeding on the floor, and then again at his mother. After a short pause, he answered, "I don't know, Ma, but you can bet your sweet @$# I don't want any of that f%$*'n oatmeal!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.