Chaplains in an ambulance...

Dwayne,

Who said we were using the chaplains at the scene? Do you think police chaplains are useless as well? The chaplains I have dealt with at the police department I work for, don't try to impart religion on anyone they deal with. They simply work in a social setting, as a resource for the EMPLOYEES. When requested by an officer or the family, they will meet with them but their main concern is the employees of the organization.

How is that wrong? Our chaplain works as a resource anyone in this department can go and talk to confidentially, they are there for our families and for us anytime 24/7.

Whats wrong with them doing some ride-along's to see what the people they are there for see everyday?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe in having a chaplain in the ambulance. However, if there are ministers, priests or chaplains that would like to be on call for your service, especially in small communities, that is not a bad idea. For the families, they can be asked if they would like someone else in their family called, their minister or someone that is available called. They can just say know no if that is their wish and would feel as obligated to talk to a chaplain if one is not immediately present.

I also believe they can work much better in some situations for EMS providers than CISD. Larger PDs and FDs do have chaplains available for their employees. Chaplains are always available in the hospital for patients, families and the staff. I have talked to them on particularly disturbing calls and patient care issues. We may do end of life on several children and babies in one week which can take its toll as well as all the pedi/neo codes we may work in the ED and ICUs. Even some of the adult codes can be stressful especially if it is a co-worker.

Usually after we terminated life support or have a bad code, the chaplain will at least make eye contact in acknowledgement that they are available but the decision is yours.

My brother is a pastor in a small community in the Pacific Northwest. More than once police have come to his office asking him to accompany them to scenes as varied as car wrecks, CPS or APS issues, etc. You can have all the legal authority in the world, sometimes you need moral authority.

bad idea.

I have enough to worry about witout having to watch or keep tabs on a chaplain

Plus there are many people out there who do not agree with the Assemblies of God beliefs. There will be just as many people who do not believe in baptists, methodists and the like.

I can also see the headlines, "patient in ambulance given last rites by chaplain" which might just as well be the headline when the news gets thru with it, not ever taking into account that these chaplains were riding along on all runs.

If I need a chaplain in my line of work I'l request one but not one to ride with me each shift.

Maybe giving them time with a supervisor or their own vehicles to responsd to the scene or respond with us. Who knows but not in the back of my ambulance.

pilot program 4 chaplains. I'd assume if it went well they would want to expand it.

I never said there would be one in every ambulance. I would have no problem with chaplain in their own chaplain Ems vehicle responding on the calls that woudl be a good idea to go on.

But I do not agree with chaplains in every ambulance all the time plus I cannot see this taking off to get them in all the ambulances.

I don't see the need to have a chaplain actually ride on the ambulance for an entire shift. I do like the idea of having a chaplain readily available to assist when needed. Whether it be to assist the crew after a call or to assist a patients family with a difficult situation. Our department has a chaplain that will respond to calls if requested and is available around the clock for our department along with the town police department. I actually used ours on the last shift to assist a husband who had just lost his wife. We were dispatched out for a cardiac arrest and pronounced the patient on scene. The husband who was alone at the time obviously couldn't tell which end was up at that point and bringing the chaplain to the scene ensured that he got further help and assistance needed to better manage the situation. He's also helped numerous crews in the past after difficult calls. It's a very valuable resource to have available.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.