Chaplains in an ambulance...

If you did have a Chaplain regularly on board, it should be understood that they are non-denominational, or at least in that capacity. And they should be at least an EMT. IMHO

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you implying there is only one sole authority on morality?

Well (duh), yes! [spoil:732cb50faa]Site Rule 7. We reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time, without warning or discussion, should we believe it to be in the best interest of the community.[/spoil:732cb50faa]

If you did have a Chaplain regularly on board, it should be understood that they are non-denominational, or at least in that capacity. And they should be at least an EMT. IMHO

LOL! EMT is the easy part. More importantly, it should be understood that they have a minimum of a masters degree and substantial education in professional counselling, in order to weed out all the mail-order hacks and Jesus freaks who self-appoint themselves as "chaplains".

But really, if we're going in this direction, we'd be better off with psychologists or licensed professional counsellors on board than chaplains. Of course, the better solution is to require a minimum of one year of psychology and sociology classes as prerequisites for all medics, as it should be.

I can see some issues with this...

1. (Personality dependant of the chaplain) They may try to step in and end up interfering with Pt care.

2. If they get involved with Pt care, asked to by crews or not, where is their liability?

3. If this is for the crews, then where does CISM/CISD come into play?

1 and 2 get taken care of VERY easily . . . absolutely no patient care.

I get at least one if not five calls a day where a chaplain would really provide comfort to a patient. I see this whenever we have a call at a church and the people there take a moment to pray with them as we're loading them up and the patient seems to really really appreciate it.

It's freaking scary going to the hospital...even scarier if you're old and alone and don't have anyone to contact to let them know what's going on. It's just you. Even if it's for a weak/dizzy, syncope, chest pain, whatever.

And so what if they don't have that many patients who could use the comfort? As long as the crew agrees to having the rider, no harm really done realistically. It's not like the chaplain is going to be riding out every single shift

LOL! EMT is the easy part. More importantly, it should be understood that they have a minimum of a masters degree and substantial education in professional counselling, in order to weed out all the mail-order hacks and Jesus freaks who self-appoint themselves as "chaplains".

But really, if we're going in this direction, we'd be better off with psychologists or licensed professional counsellors on board than chaplains. Of course, the better solution is to require a minimum of one year of psychology and sociology classes as prerequisites for all medics, as it should be.

I'm well aware of their education. I was just meaning that they should have some education or orientation for medical treatment or patient care. You might need the extra hands.

Some patients may feel some comfort knowing their is a Chaplain on board. I just hope some don't think they are there to help ready them for "the great beyond". :angel5:

I'm well aware of their education. I was just meaning that they should have some education or orientation for medical treatment or patient care. You might need the extra hands.

If you need extra hands, your service needs to hire them, not conscript other professionals into service on the cheap. You focus on your job, and let others focus on theirs. Yours is not so important that everyone needs to know it.

If you need extra hands, your service needs to hire them, not conscript other professionals into service on the cheap. You focus on your job, and let others focus on theirs. Yours is not so important that everyone needs to know it.

I'm just trying to say that if they are there anyway and you need help it would be nice if they knew something and wouldn't be clueless. They'd have their own priorities, but if need be they wouldn't just be another person taking up space. And besides, I think most would be willing to take the extra education for the opportunity to minister to others in that capacity.

I didn't say that one job was more important than another. Why has this become an issue?

I didn't say that one job was more important than another. Why has this become an issue?

You never suggested that you should learn their job, so obviously you are implying that your job is more important than the other.

You never suggested that you should learn their job, so obviously you are implying that your job is more important than the other.

And it doesn't have to be a minister/ chaplain. Anyone working on an ambulance should be expected to know the basics.

If I was hired to work in a church, then I'd be more than happy to learn the basics of what would be expected of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the updated version of this story... they're gonna be go-fers and family support. They will be riding with the ambulances and be there to offer support for both patients and EMTs. They will not be expected to supply medical care, but will help secure scenes and fetch gear....

This will be interesting to see how it works out.

Update: Ambulance Chaplains

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.