If you could work anywhere, where would it be?

akroeze

Back where I was before my husband decided moving to Arkansas was a good idea.

St. John's EMS in Springfield, MO.

Why?

Head of EMS education: Bob Page

52 drugs in the cache, including diltiazem, and a variety of narcotic pain medications.

Liberal protocols - if I can support it, I could do it.

RSI, Capnography, CPAP, aggressive AMI management including thrombolytics.

Hospital-based.

Low turn-over.

An accessable medical director, and and even more accessible EMS educator.

Ample educational opportunities, including a dozen different fluff classes, seminars, quarterly competancies.

Being among my peers, paramedics that are more educated then any I have ever worked with.

The only negative was operational management, but that's nearly everywhere. Besides, the education and ability to actually care for my patients is what mattered to me. I can handle a crummy supervisor, as long as they don't interfere with my patient getting the highest quality treatment available.

I could go on, but it's making me want to cry. Besides, I have school tomorrow. I hate EMS so much since leaving St. Johns, (and having to make a living working for this craptastic company I moonlight with) that I'm now a biology student (with a really cool minor). What a pity, considering I wanted to be a paramedic since I was ten.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea St. Johns was a good system.

If I ever want to move back home (Lebanon, MO) I have a few people I know there, I am sure I could probably find a way in the company.

Are their protocols the same across the system? (Springfield, Lebanon, Camdenton, Buffalo, ect.) ?

firedoc can you send me a PM telling me a little about the US Marshall service? That sounds interesting. Thanks.

The last time I looked into it was a long time ago. Don't know of any actual sites, but you can do a search. They use medics a lot, especially with transporting "persons" via ambulance. Also, when there is a raid they have their own medical back up. Back in the early '90's, one of my fire Lts. had a bunch of pamplets on it and he was seriously debating about it. For some reason he didn't pursue it and is now retired.

If you do search, Mark, let me know what you find.

Doctor Bryan Bledsoe is in Texas, and is one of the most involved doctors in the world of EMS. If you don't know who he is, you need to google it and figure it out.

That's like saying in nursing "Who the hell is Florence Nightengale? Never heard of her..." or in Catholicism, "Who is Mother Teresa? John the Baptist who?"

:D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'd like to go to work for any place where I don't have the possibility of being shot, hit, stabbed or crushed in a truck versus ambulance.

I also want to work for a company where my greatest possibility of dying is in a plane going 300 miles per hour

I want a safe job where I can just be myself, not work with anyone nor be subject ot anybodies requirements except for myself.

Now when I find that job I'll let ya all know

King County, Seattle

Why may I ask? I am in Tac and just wondering.

I'd like to go to work for any place where I don't have the possibility of being shot, hit, stabbed or crushed in a truck versus ambulance.

I also want to work for a company where my greatest possibility of dying is in a plane going 300 miles per hour

I want a safe job where I can just be myself, not work with anyone nor be subject ot anybodies requirements except for myself.

Now when I find that job I'll let ya all know

Good luck, Bro.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.